1977 22" Ferguson 3734 - Thorn 9600 - SYCLOPS

19 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Thanks to Mike ( Mikeystep) being a true gent, unbeknown to me nabbed me a Thorn 9600 back in Oct 2014, today one of his workmates dropped it off. This further enhances my Thorn stable. I very nice example too.

Won't be getting around to this just yet but have just catalogued it on my collection section for those that are interested.

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/pivotx/?p=197x-ferguson

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 10/01/2015 8:15 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

That looks like a nice example there, Chris. :aad

By the time you get this far, you're getting into fairly modern kit, and less to go wrong.... :ccg :ccb :bba

Marion

Posted : 10/01/2015 11:39 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

That looks like a nice example there, Chris.
Marion

Certainly does just need find a 4000, 8000 now.

By the time you get this far, you're getting into fairly modern kit, and less to go wrong....
Marion

:ccb Wish I'd know that when I tackled the 8500, 9000 & 9905 :aak

Posted : 11/01/2015 12:35 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

If there was an Ultra-badged version of the 9600, I remember one of my aunts renting one...

Posted : 11/01/2015 12:40 am
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

By the time you get this far, you're getting into fairly modern kit, and less to go wrong....
Marion

Wish I'd know that when I tackled the 8500, 9000 & 9905

Hi Chris,

That's why I chose my smilies very carefully....... :aah :aak :aal :bbeard

Marion

Posted : 11/01/2015 12:43 am
AidanLunn
(@aidanlunn)
Honorable Member Registered

IIRC, "The Young Ones" had one of these in their living room. Well, several. It used to get smashed or destroyed in some other way every week.

Posted : 11/01/2015 12:52 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

The 9600 is the one, a beautifully over engineered creation, and surprisingly reliable too. Just check out that heatsink at the rear of the timebase/power board. You can see it is something special.
There was another Ferguson set that used the same plastic cabinet, the 9800, awful thing. Souped up 8800.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 11/01/2015 12:54 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

If there was an Ultra-badged version of the 9600, I remember one of my aunts renting one...

Hi Mike,

There was.

I knew my data cataloguing might come in handy one day. As we know Thorn used "6" as a prefix for their ultra badged models, see here for those that are unfamiliar with the prefixes.

So knowing that, we just need to search the chassis guide here for entries in the single standard colour section.

This gives us two possibilities for an 9600 Ultra, the 22" 6735 or the 26" 6775 don't suppose you remember the screen size.

Posted : 11/01/2015 2:30 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

TCE did make Ultra sets fitted with both the 9600 and 9800 chassis. Ultra became the wholesaler brand after the Marconi brand was dropped.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 11/01/2015 2:45 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Mike,

There was.

I knew my data cataloguing might come in handy one day. As we know Thorn used "6" as a prefix for their ultra badged models, see here for those that are unfamiliar with the prefixes.

So knowing that, we just need to search the chassis guide here for entries in the single standard colour section.

This gives us two possibilities for an 9600 Ultra, the 22" 6735 or the 26" 6775 don't suppose you remember the screen size.

22", and I seem to remember it having touch-tuning?

Posted : 11/01/2015 11:00 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Badge engineering at it's best. No differences whatsoever between 3735 and 6735. Same goes for the 3749/6749 and 3745/6745.
At least ten years earlier the manufactures did attempt to make TV sets which were sold under various brand names look different. But to be honest by the end of the seventies the buying public couldn't care less either!
That's one of the reasons why I have no interest in the later stuff. Think about the cynical marketing policies of the manufactures as well.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 11/01/2015 12:48 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Whilst waiting for some parts for the Decca, I was curious to see what would happen when I powered on this Fergy, would it work in some fashion.

After a visual inspection which revealed a really good, fairly clean example, I plugged it in. The speaker made a pop and crackle, the edges of the CRT seemed to light then go out leaving the set with a channel indicator lit, guess it tripped then. Powered cycled there was just the pop in the speaker as it powered up, no channel indicator this time though.

I have three excellent Thorn manuals which will be studied.

I like the addition of the diagnostic ports TSA ( Scanning) & TSB (Power Supply) to see if the expected voltages are present. At least I can try to narrow the fault down as the set can be operated with any of the daughter boards removed. Along with removing the supply rail fuses to isolate the fault/trip condition should be found. Sounds like a bit of Déjà vu without the rust :qq1

Some photos of the various boards :-

Lets hope the fun and games I had with old "One-eye" on the 9000 and 9905 before, are not quite repeated on this one. Well maybe just a little, they are after all good lessons and an education is what I'm after at the end of the day, not a plug it in and work set.

Posted : 13/01/2015 5:14 pm
Mikey66
(@mikey66)
Reputable Member Registered

Hi Chris

Here's a picture of the compenents I had to replace in one of my 9000s from the same source.

As you can see, there is a predominance of one particular type of capacitor

Best regards

Mike

Posted : 13/01/2015 5:34 pm
freya
(@freya)
Prominent Member Registered

suprised to see that polyester film capacitor in the dead pile

Posted : 13/01/2015 5:44 pm
Mikey66
(@mikey66)
Reputable Member Registered

It had gone open circuit, no signs of any moisture ingress though, unlike the ITTs

Best regards

Mike

Posted : 13/01/2015 5:48 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Not surprised to see the Blue Meanies and the RIFA but the toffee's!!! Like Stephen that is a surprise.

Posted : 13/01/2015 6:23 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account

I have only once had to change one of that type of polyester cap and that was because one of the legs had corroded and snapped off.
Rob T

Posted : 13/01/2015 7:20 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)
Prominent Member Banned

I have to replace quite a few of those Mylar dipped types in various sets over the years, ranging from leaky, O/C, thermally unstable and even just plain old faulty in some otherwise strange way.

Posted : 13/01/2015 7:49 pm
Refugee
(@refugee)
Noble Member Registered

I have only ever seen those red dip types fail where they carry a lot of AC currant and pulses such as in the frame output stage in a VGA CRT screen where they split open and let out grey goo that goes hard as it cools.

Posted : 14/01/2015 3:55 am
Share: