13 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
colourmaster
(@colourmaster)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi everyone
My usual Saturday "playtime" has involved getting my 20" G8 out for an airing.
I have known this set from new . I remember delivering it to our neighbour in our Bedford cf van in 1978 . I had just started in the trade as an apprentice.
I had to go in out regularly with the delivery driver to help carry washing machines.
Anyway back to this set . Its only had five repairs in its life. As you can see from inside it lived in a coal fire environment. Its filthy inside. The family upgraded to a Tx10 and the g8 was used as a second set until I obtained it in the mid 90's. The 20" version was pretty reliable considering the chassis was stuffed in the little cabinet.
Regards.
Gary.

Posted : 07/02/2015 4:48 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

That's a great little set and such a nice history..... go-on, treat her to a gentle vacuum and brush :)

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 07/02/2015 7:36 pm
Tazman1966
(@tazman1966)
Reputable Member Registered

What a smashing set Gary. I've been after one of those for ever!!!

Tas

Posted : 07/02/2015 9:19 pm
mark pirate
(@mark-pirate)
Honorable Member Registered

As you can see from inside it lived in a coal fire environment. Its filthy inside.

If you think that is filthy, you should have seen the chassis in the Bush TV24 I have just restored :ccf
I think that coal dust can be conductive, so a thorough clean out would be a good idea, nice telly by the way :bba

Posted : 07/02/2015 9:48 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

As you can see from inside it lived in a coal fire environment. Its filthy inside.

If you think that is filthy, you should have seen the chassis in the Bush TV24 I have just restored :ccf
I think that coal dust can be conductive, so a thorough clean out would be a good idea, nice telly by the way :bba

It can be, and if damp, pretty corrosive too. I once restored a Ferranti 145 for a friend that took ages to sort because of this - not least because the one valveholder that decided to give up and start tracking was that of the frequency changer.

Buried as it was, right under the wavechange switch. :ccb

Posted : 07/02/2015 10:43 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Gary,
It might be compact and yet it was very reliable. The 20" Philips G8 along with the 20" version of the Pye 725 "lego" was still available from wholesalers early 1978. Both sets employed an imported CRT which was branded as Mullard.

It's long time ago so memories fade. Was there ever a 20" G11? I don't remember ever selling or renting such a set.
Bush offered a 20" T20 fitted with the 20AX CRT. Model type BC6240. Many will remember the funny position of the anode connector.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 08/02/2015 5:00 pm
Marconi_MPT4
(@marconi_mpt4)

Hi,
Nice set. I can not recall ever seeing a 20" G8 before just the common-or-garden 22" and 26" variety.

. Was there ever a 20" G11? I don't remember ever selling or renting such a set.
Bush offered a 20" T20 fitted with the 20AX CRT. Model type BC6240. Many will remember the funny position of the anode connector.
Till Eulenspiegel.

However in the late 70's B&O produced a Beovision 3300 remote control 20AX set using a Philips A51-500X CRT. These were very popular as being compact would fit on shelves and into existing cabinets. Quite a few period style cabinets (typically with Pye chassis) were converted so as to slide the entire set in from the back. Such practices would be frowned on today.

Rich

Posted : 08/02/2015 5:58 pm
danny
(@danny)
Estimable Member Registered

Hi yes there was a twenty inch g11 it had the anode cap the corner of the tube. The twenty g8 was good because if the transductor shorted you could just leave the red plug out and send it back as the distortion was less noticeable on the twenty . Danny

Posted : 08/02/2015 10:22 pm
Tazman1966
(@tazman1966)

Yep! I've got a 20" G11 as in the link that Parabola posted above. Very nice performer too :)

Posted : 08/02/2015 10:43 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

The 20AX CRT was first introduced into the UK late 1976 by Decca with the model CV1051, about which was discussed on this forum recently. The G11 came along in 1977 with the model 660.
Along with 20", 22" and 26" screens there was mention of an 18" tube which was never marketed.
The first TV set which employed the 30AX CRT was the Ferguson 3765. June 1980. Mullard suggested that a 20" 30AX CRT would be made. Does anyone know of a set that used this tube? It would be an A51-540X.

So it would appear that until a 20" 20AX CRT was available Philips and Pye continued with the G8 and 725 modified to accept the smaller tube.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 08/02/2015 10:58 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

B&O 5100 TV: 30AX CRT confirmed.

http://beophile.com/?page_id=1229

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 09/02/2015 12:37 am
Rebel Rafter
(@rebel-rafter)

Hi, folks. RR here. There was indeed a B&O 20" 30AX model. I once repaired one. It was a model 5500 and it was the filthiest set I ever had to fix, so I stripped it and gave it a thorough clean inside and out. I remember the chassis was very cramped in the little cabinet. I also remember the remote controls were really expensive and they were metal, a long thin unit made from some kind of die cast alloy. And if I remember right these were one of the first sets in the UK to feature a scart socket. Also the power supply on these B&O chassis had a similar design to that on the Thorn TX10, with a similar transformer, does anyone know if they were interchangeable with the Thorn ones? I once had a 22" version and I got it cheap with no colour and I sold it for about five times what I paid for it. RR.

Posted : 22/02/2015 6:59 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Hi, folks. RR here. There was indeed a B&O 20" 30AX model. Also the power supply on these B&O chassis had a similar design to that on the Thorn TX10, with a similar transformer, does anyone know if they were interchangeable with the Thorn ones? RR.

Could well be. All the wound components in the TX10 were supplied by Mullard/Philips. There was a time when Ferguson was the biggest customer of Mullard Ltd.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 22/02/2015 7:49 pm
Share: