25 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi all,

I've not been around here much lately due to work being crazy!

I have obtained a few new sets (well it was my birthday) to add to the pile, so here are a few pictures for you.

No real idea of working condition as yet, not sure when I will know either while work remains so busy. 

1st up from Mr Murphy a CV2215 Acoustic De Lux.

Murphy-CV2215.jpgMurphy-CV2215-controls.jpg

Next up, well.........I will let the pictures tell the story.

Philips.jpgG8-Internals-1.jpgG8-Internals-2.jpgG8-Internals-3.jpgG8-Internals-4.jpgG8-Internals-5.jpgG8-Internals-6.jpgG8-Internals-7.jpg

You should be able to work out what model it is from picture 2 as part of the cabinet is missing in picture 1.

Now if past history is to continue in the same way as it has done before, someone else should shortly get a set with the same chassis fitted.

Jon
BVWS Member

Posted : 21/03/2017 2:07 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Presume the Murphy uses the A823 chassis and the other looks like a G8 but I didn't see many of those so could be wrong.

Frank

Posted : 21/03/2017 5:13 am
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Well done for obtaining them there goodies.....looking forward to the restoration Jon smile

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 21/03/2017 7:36 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

TVJON74 said 

I have obtained a few new sets (well it was my birthday) to add to the pile, so here are a few pictures for you.

1st up from Mr Murphy a CV2215 Acoustic De Lux.

Murphy-CV2215.jpgMurphy-CV2215-controls.jpg

Oooooo my red and blue guns have just died grin_gifwell done Jon, been looking for one of these too. Look forward to seeing this one when it makes the bench. Sadly in this instance I won't be doing a parallel repair.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 21/03/2017 7:44 am
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)
Topic starter

Hi Frank,

I believe the Murphy uses the A823 chassis. Not even had the back off yet to see whats inside.

Yes it is a G8 model number is G26K537-05. Looks to be untouched inside from a very quick look around I had last night.

I only remember ever seeing a couple of G8's in for repair when I was in the shop and they were just the basic model.

Chris I didn't know you were after a Murphy as well as the G8. One will turn up soon I'm sure. Look how the Baird 702 turned up for you.

Jon
BVWS Member

Posted : 21/03/2017 1:07 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

A fault with the A823 chassis I remember was the little blue tantalum caps that were going to be so much more reliable than standard electrolytics. The ones used by the military and space equipment perhaps but not those RBM fitted.

Surprising how many of those sets I fixed and how few faults I can remember but they had their share. PSU, chroma, Video output etc, etc. 

Frank

Posted : 21/03/2017 5:42 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Prominent Member Registered

It's actually the A823AV version of the chassis, V for varicap (Tuner). Wish I'd had a pound for everyone that I unboxed and tested during the colour boom.

My favourite cabinet colour was "Outrageous Orange".

John.

John.

Posted : 21/03/2017 7:05 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Jayceebee said
 Wish I'd had a pound for everyone that I unboxed and tested during the colour boom.

John.  

Pity you couldn't have kept a couple of them, still sealed in their boxes.  grin_gif

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 21/03/2017 7:12 pm
GEC2110
(@gec2110)
Eminent Member Registered

On the Murphy 2215 did you get the chrome trumpet stand?

they were not all that good in the chroma department but the rest of the set was quite reliable.

There was a later chassis with PIL tube Z719 chassis 

they came in white blue olive green orange.

Posted : 21/03/2017 11:59 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

I don't remember the trumpet stand, only the swivel one, two crossed rectangular metal bars for the base and Chrome upright. Never the steadiest of stands and very often required tightening the centre locking nut to stop the set tilting to one side. 

Frank

Posted : 22/03/2017 12:14 am
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)

Don't know of a trumpet stand but I wonder if you mean the stand on the CV2215 first picture, I used to call it the Bowtie.

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/murphy/

John.

John.

Posted : 22/03/2017 7:12 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

The "Bowie" is another I had not seen, the picture of part of the decoder must be the one used in the dual standard sets.

Frank

Posted : 22/03/2017 7:30 pm
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)
Topic starter

Sadly I do not have the stand.

I thought it would of been a cross shaped piece that sat on the floor with a vertical pole to a platform for the set to sit on.

Jon
BVWS Member

Posted : 22/03/2017 7:47 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)

nuvistor said

the picture of part of the decoder must be the one used in the dual standard sets.  

The massive Mullard DL1 delay line gives it away.

John.

John.

Posted : 22/03/2017 8:00 pm
GEC2110
(@gec2110)

i have not seen the stand in the picture for these sets in the shop i worked in . during late 70s and early to mid 80s .

But i do remember the cross stand with pole and i have seen a blue set on a trumpet stand once but the stand could have come from any set of the time. Nordemende used these stands  a lot also some Grundigs

i do like the look of these particularly in white, there was also i think a mechanical four button tuner  with a frame around the screen .

Cannot recall if there was a Monochrome  version of this set.

What is a shame is that so many of these were scrapped especially when the power panel burnt if you left the degausing plug off or otherwise and was unlucky and burnt a hole in the decoder panel  

Thanks 

Mark

Posted : 22/03/2017 9:11 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

The white ones were really fun in houses with coal fires which were still common when the white B/W sets came on the market.

Frank

Posted : 22/03/2017 9:16 pm
GEC2110
(@gec2110)

Hi Frank 

and also attracted nicotine 

Posted : 22/03/2017 9:36 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)

GEC2110 said
Cannot recall if there was a Monochrome  version of this set.

What is a shame is that so many of these were scrapped especially when the power panel burnt if you left the degausing plug off or otherwise and was unlucky and burnt a hole in the decoder panel  

Thanks 

Mark  

The mono ones came first as the 19" V1913D, some had a very high gloss finish which had to be treated with great care, the black ones looked stunning. Later they appeared in 23" then latterly 24" CRTs, It's very odd but in some literature the sets shown as the V2414D are clearly V2314D models.

Due to the plug location it's very easy to forget to reconnect the degauss coils after refitting the chassis resulting in clouds of smoke emanating from the 680 ohm resistor following by cursing from the engineer who had done it rolf_gif. Never known one damage the board though.

John

John.

Posted : 22/03/2017 10:49 pm
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)

PYE625 said

Pity you couldn't have kept a couple of them, still sealed in their boxes.  grin_gif  

Think just how expensive that would have been at the time though? cry

Classic TV Theme Tunes

Posted : 23/03/2017 11:43 am
GEC2110
(@gec2110)

Have seen this happen on a few sets especially the early type

Arching between the power panel  and the decoder. Sometime a severe case will burn the decoder around where the decoder chip is.

These were good sets  the frame and line sound output stages were very reliable but the colour  decoder was not the colours were either weak or suffered with Hanover blinds or patterning chroma most of the no colur faults were with the chroma amp in the IF stage.  the tube also had to be very good indeed to get a bright picture  as there was no preset brightness.This is only my experience with these sets. cant beat the GEC2110 for picture quality 

If the Murphy 2215 was in the shops they will sell very well indeed in alsorts of colours and patterns 

RBM A823 HD UHD 4K compatable 

Mark.

Posted : 23/03/2017 1:18 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: