9 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
colourmaster
(@colourmaster)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi
today i have been in my storage area garage and came across these two decca bradfords .
I haven"t powered them up for about six years . however they were both restored prior to storage . The 22" set is a CS2230 & the "baby" 18" set is a CS1830 . I can"t remember where the 22" came from but the 18" was given to me about twenty years ago from a family friend . I think that it must have been a visionhire slot meter set as it has two holes drilled in the cabinet side . can a ex visionhire engineer confirm this . As you can see they both "woke" up fine . they were great reliable sets .
regards .
Gary .

Posted : 30/08/2014 7:29 pm
Tazman1966
(@tazman1966)
Reputable Member Registered

Hi Gary.

The CS2230 is perhaps the definitive version of the Decca Bradford isn't it? I have a lovely CS1730 which works very well indeed. I also have an 1830 too but that's waiting for a new EHT doubler. The 1830 is the largest Bradford I've got!

Tas

Posted : 30/08/2014 10:50 pm
colourmaster
(@colourmaster)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi tas
as you say the cs2230 was the popular model . I remember a cs1830 often being our loan set when our gec hybrid was often away being repaired . I think they must be the rarest of the bradfords . I wonder why ?
regards . Gary.

Posted : 30/08/2014 11:43 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Thanks for posting this thread Gary, not only is it interesting as I mentioned to you today, it also answered a long standing mystery for me. Until now I never knew the model number or seen the CS1830 in over 41 years.

For the benefit of others the story goes like this, around 1973/74 ( I think) we got our first colour TV, it was a surprise to me as I had not been told. All I remembered about it was the following:- It was a Decca, about 19", was in a teak-ish cabinet. Controls to the right on a thin strip of chrome, push button tuner and speaker grill to the far right of them. Funy thing is its the only telly I really remember and I've no idea why. Probably because it was our first colour and it had such an impact.

I've been looking for one for years without really knowing much more about it than what I detailed above, now I know the model it will be easier to keep a watchful eye. I have the larger CS2230 on my to do pile, I got it from Neil, they are great looking sets as you and Tas say. I hope my 2230 repairs as well as yours.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 31/08/2014 12:12 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

The CS1830 was the one Decca set I had; and that convinced me that probably the best hybrid colour television chassis ever was the "Bradford" chassis. I was given a near-mint example by a friend of my late wife's family: it only needed the infamous boost cap replacing (0.22uF, 1kV for those that don't know) and it sprang into life. I remember ordering a doubler from Sendz just in case (but it never needed it). I sold it to my wife's best friend as their first television set when they got married, and they had it for years.

However... the first time I encountered one was probably some ten years prior, as it was the first colour TV my grandmother owned - bought for her by her youngest son. I remember it taking pride of place on a chipboard and wood-effect melamine cabinet at my aunt's - this was shortly after my grandfather died and my grandmother moved in with my aunt so the set replaced their GEC black and white set.

Posted : 31/08/2014 12:46 am
Tazman1966
(@tazman1966)

... I remember ordering a doubler from Sendz just in case (but it never needed it)...

Mornin'! You haven't still got the doubler have you?

Regards,

Tas (clutching at straws!)

Posted : 31/08/2014 9:44 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

I don't think so, Tas - it was thirty years ago but I will keep an eye out just in case.

Posted : 31/08/2014 1:39 pm
Tazman1966
(@tazman1966)

Just a thought, teehee!

Posted : 31/08/2014 3:19 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Can't blame you for asking :bba

Posted : 31/08/2014 5:22 pm
Share: