Share:
Notifications
Clear all

A Pair Of Philips G6 Single Standard; Cabinet Restoration  

crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

This was posted on our Vrat Facebook group but I thought I'd also share it with the forum, for those that do not use Facebook.

Forum member The_Teleman (Chris) who lives a couple of miles from me, recently picked up a rather sad looking pair of Philips G6 single standard televisions. Both had been stored for many years in less than ideal conditions. Adding to that had suffered from many years of knocks, scratches, dings and water damage.

I offered to refurbish the cabinets for him, so yesterday I spent an enjoyable day at his workshop and demonstrated how to bring them back to showroom condition.  Hopefully he'll now have the confidence to tackle one or two of his own. He does have a rather awful GEC which I've offered to takeaway and do as it will need quite a few days to sort that one.

Seven hours later here are the results of Thursdays  G6 work, made a nice change from just doing my normal electrical restorations. One set was Rosewood, the second was Teak. I'm not trumpet blowing, just hoping to show folk who like The_Teleman thought they'd never look much, that anything can be brought back to life, its knowing how. 

Set No.1 Before

g6 1
g6 2

Set No.1 After

g6 3
g6 4
g6 5

Set No.2 Before

g6 a

Set No.2 After

g6 b
g6 c
g6 d

Crusty's Collection: Read the repair blogs
Crustys Youtube Channel: If you want to follow me on Youtube, please consider subscribing
Vrat FaceBook: Follow us

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/08/2020 7:09 am
PYE625, Red_to_Black, ntscuser and 1 people liked
irob2345
(@irob2345)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

I recall studying the G6 back in 1972 I think (before start of colour here in '74 anyway) and thinking it was both very complex and obsolete (being a hybrid) compared to other designs around at the time. The first Philips we had here was the K9, it retained the G6's colour difference drive to the CRT grids. I think the K9 must have been the only TV we saw here to use that design.

Is your method for obtaining those cabinet results visible here?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/08/2020 7:30 am
colourstar
(@colourstar)
Honorable V-Ratter Registered

Whatever your method is Chris, it works a treat. What a transformation. Those sets look absolutely stunning!

An excellent day's work I'd say. 😀 

Steve

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/08/2020 1:31 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

Must get round to my weetabix GEC...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/08/2020 3:45 pm
The_Teleman
(@the_teleman)
Active V-Ratter Registered

@crustytv

I must say how absolutely thrilled I was to see the results Chris has achieved with these tiered old G6’s

they look stunning now I really didn’t think they would come any where near to what Chris has achieved here 

my only hope now is to do the same justice to the electronic side 

one set is 100% complete the other is missing a couple of important parts so the complete one will be tackled first 

Please see my parts wanted here

Thanks again Chris for a superb job and a great day 👍

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/08/2020 11:49 am
The_Teleman
(@the_teleman)
Active V-Ratter Registered

@irob2345

i don’t recall the K9 set was this anything like the K70 ? 

Ive just acquired a K70 but as yet I still have to collect it , I recall these having a similar line output transformer as in the GY501 & the PD500 but they used a double line output as 2x PL509’s I’m looking forward to having a go at this set after the G6 of course 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/08/2020 3:11 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Posted by: @the_teleman

i don’t recall the K9 set was this anything like the K70 ? 

The K9 was solid state. 

k9
k9cct

My B&O 3200 like the G6 & K70 a hybrid, looks remarkably like a Philips from the rear, has the dual output bottle. A very complex chassis.

Crustys Youtube Channel: If you want to follow me on Youtube, please consider subscribing

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/08/2020 4:22 pm
Tazman1966
(@tazman1966)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

Hi Chris

What a transformation! What methods did you use and is a good degree of patience required for the finish you obtained?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/08/2020 5:58 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Hi Tas, patience for sure, hence it taking most of the day but as I told Chris (The_Telemam) its more about experience of what not to do and not use. Mine gained on 25 years of refurbishing clock cabinets prior to getting into Radio & TV. Taught to me and when you're working on a 200+ year old customers longcase, you learn quickly not to make a mess. 

I can try to explain but its far easier to demonstrate, perhaps I should do a Youtube video when I tackle his rather poorly GEC cabinet.

This is it, what you see in the basket is all I used to achieve the finish you see above.

cabkit

The cabinet will still tell a story and retain much of its patina which after all is what we are after in this instance. The key is preparation, spend as much time as possible on preparing the cabinet. Remove grease, I use simple cheap window cleaner lightly spayed on the cabinet, use paper towel and keep doing this until the paper is virtually clean. Then spray again and this time use fine wire wool (0000/00000) the cabinet, be gentle we only want to remove the years of wax in readiness for the next stage.

Let the cabinet air dry for about 30-40 mins. Best done in the open air to also to hasten drying time for the next stage. Apply a very fine coat of Colron cabinet oil (DO NOT use Danish)with wire-wool, again rub gently and wait 30mins. Buff this first coat with a medium bristle brush, repeat this process a number of times, probably 5 to six times but its dependant on how the cabinet responds, you have to judge. The oil is essentially feeding the wood and enhancing its natural patina.The buffing is important, this is what develops the deep sheen. You should start to see the results by about coat 3, always allow time for it to dry. Finish off with Beeswax and buff with a fine bristle brush until your arm aches. Leave for a couple of days for a finally polish up with a duster.

A lot of folk shy away from tackling cabinet refurbs as there are many products and methods, some like Chris (The_Teleman) are put off by either choosing the wrong product, wrong method or a combination of both. I showed him the most simple option anyone can do to refresh a tired cabinet.

A last point; there are in all hobbies know-it-all's and snobs, no doubt they all have an opinion and love to decry others, perhaps even this method. I'm not for one minute saying this method is the best nor do I use it all the time, you must choose what is appropriate for the cabinet in front of you and your skill level. However, this method is certainly the easiest for folk to master as a starting point and well, the results above speak for themselves, take from that what you will.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/08/2020 7:35 pm
Red_to_Black, Doz, ntscuser and 1 people liked
Jac Janssen
(@jac-janssen)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

@crustytv

Thank you Chris!
Much appreciated.

Jac

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/08/2020 7:58 pm
Tazman1966
(@tazman1966)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

Sorry for the late reply Chris but a big thank you for the very detailed reply. The shine is just right on this example.

For more glossy finishes, what would you recommend? In the past, I've used Plastikote clear with reasonably nice results although getting a uniform finish requires a bit of care - probably more than I give!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/09/2020 9:38 am
Greg_simons
(@greg_simons)
New V-Ratter Registered

Hi there

Useful advice for me at the moment, the cabinet on my thorn 2000 needs some tlc, i shall be following you instructions!, after many months I'm finally near seriously powering up the beast for the first time, it's a long story but maybe I'll be permitted to tell it here.

Greg.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/09/2020 10:17 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Posted by: @greg_simons

Useful advice for me at the moment, the cabinet on my thorn 2000 needs some tlc, i shall be following you instructions!,

Welcome back Greg, its been a while since we last saw you, Glad you found the cabinet advice of some use. I've got a few of my own to do and of course the Teleman's sickly GEC, so I'll either document them or as others have suggested, perhaps a youtube video as actions are easier than just words/photos.   👍 

Posted by: @greg_simons

I'm finally near seriously powering up the beast for the first time, it's a long story but maybe I'll be permitted to tell it here.

Absolutely Greg, folk are more than permitted, they are positively encouraged. Just hop on over to the Colour section and start a new thread whenever you're ready to share your story. I've recently halved my collection of 2K sets but still have a near mint 3700 and a 19" 2701 both need a little bench time, though the 2701 more than the 3700. Wonderful sets, importantly historic sets for any serious early colour TV collector to have in their collection.

If I'm not mistaken, your set was a basket case from Glynn in Wales. The cabinet rotted beyond saving and many if not all the boards, in an equally sorry state. I believe you managed to source a cabinet from a mutual friend which was very fortunate. When you're ready, I/we all look forward to reading about your tale of returning this TV back to working order. Lots of members here have experience with 2K sets and we are fortunate to have ex Thorn engineers and a designer among our ranks, so plenty of help should you require any 👍 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/09/2020 8:02 am
Greg_simons
(@greg_simons)
New V-Ratter Registered

@crustytv

Hi crusty

Yes indeed, I'll start a new thread over on the colour tv side, i don't think even your restoration skills could've saved the original cab. it looked like it had spent a few decades in the company of davy Jones's locker and the chassis wasn't too far behind, finding a better but empty cabinet was nothing short of a miracle and it came with a spare crt, tuner, regulator and convergence boards, plus a mains transformer.

To be fair i was making some headway with the old cabinet and had located a firm that could fabricate the various elements for home assembly,,, at a cost of course!.

Greg.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/09/2020 9:15 am