Forum 141

Baird M708 Birthday switch on

37 Posts
13 Users
31 Likes
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

The photo shows a house with an X plus 5 band 1&3 aerial, the signal had to pass through the power station, I wonder how good the picture on the TV was. We had some big mills in this area, still one or two about but not spinning anymore, if you were behind one of those pictures on the TV were not very good. Lots of ghosts and if the factory had DC motors some interference. 

Frank

Posted : 13/10/2018 9:03 am
Terrykc
(@terrykc)
Member Rest in Peace

Being so close to Crystal Palace and Croydon, I don't think signal strength would be a problem but ghosting, on the other hand ...     ? 

When all else fails, read the instructions

Posted : 13/10/2018 11:18 am
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

As the birthday celebration draws to a close, the back can be secured, the new castors fitted and the set may stand on the floor. There is little difference between the 405 and 625 picture quality when viewed at a normal distance.

488 s l1600
IMG 4813 50
IMG 4815 50
IMG 4816 50

Come in a little closer and the line structure becomes apparent, as you would expect.

IMG 4819 50
IMG 4821 50

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 13/10/2018 8:34 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

I'm not quite satisfied with my last two close-up photos as they were taken before the set had reached normal temperature and show slight mis-convergence. This demonstrates why you need to allow a set such as this to reach normal operating temperature before any critical examination or adjustment.

These were taken after a few mins and I am happier with them.  ? 

IMG 4826 50
IMG 4824 50

Posted : 13/10/2018 9:00 pm
Tazman1966
(@tazman1966)
Reputable Member Registered

Fantastic job!

Posted : 14/10/2018 8:09 am
PYE625, PYE625 and PYE625 reacted
MurphyV310
(@murphyv310)
Honorable Member Registered

Hi.

Wow what a result, the picture is absolutely stunning. When I came into the TV trade in January 1970 Colour really hadn't had a big take up in this part of the country along with a poor signal from Black Hill 625 was often snowy and many stuck with 405 lines until the Darvel transmitter opened up. I do remember some of the dual standard colour sets could be extremely good, the BRC 2000 & GEC 2028 come to mind and the ITT CVC2 625 line only set was another that produced excellent results. The G6 was far too tetchy with some being pretty awful and others really good, some of the G6's you could never get right no matter how long you spent on them, a bit like cars of the time two identical new cars could be worlds apart for no apparent reason.

A good Delta gun set properly set up could actually knock the pants off the Sony's that appeared in 1972 and 73, they to me lacked horizontal definition due to the make up of the CRT, yes they didn't need hours of setting up time and eventually the rental companies saw this could save them engineer time, so the Hitachi's, Mitsubishi's, Teleton's and other Japanese sets came in not all admittedly had in line guns but they were easier to set up and the breakdown rate was lower. By 1975 when I had moved on from British Relay the trade was starting to change, I never saw a Dual Standard Colour set by then to service, foreign sets were far more commonplace and the first of the redundancies were announced locally, some of our home grown sets were notoriously unreliable, the old Bush CTV25 had gone due to burn up's as had a lot of Pye sets, the CT205 with edge connector troubles and others but there were still some peaches, the ITT CVC5, The hybrid GEC shine out as reliable with nice pictures.

The set that has to be my favourite of any British made Colour set is clearly the BRC2000, it was well ahead of its time, relatively simple, well designed and capable of stunning pictures, the 3000 in my opinion didn't come close, and to be fair the 2000 should have been made in single standard form.

Anyway I still say that Baird has some of the best pictures I've seen in a very very long time...... well done.

PS, I realise the set is not a 2000,  there were very few Baird DS sets around here, due in the main to poor signal on UHF even after duplication, in fact very few DS CTV's were ever sold or rented, I've only seen perhaps half a dozen in my time.

Cheers,
Trevor.
MM0KJJ. RSGB, GQRP, WACRAL, K&LARC. Member

Posted : 14/10/2018 8:56 am
The_Teleman
(@the_teleman)
Reputable Member Registered

cracking set , its nice to see an dual standard set working as it was intended.

I'm hoping your set will inspire me into getting my GEC 2028 on the bench

it must of been at least 2 years since I purchased it & done nothing  with it as yet

always had a soft spot for dual standard sets mono or colour

Chris

Posted : 03/02/2019 2:28 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

The set makers definitely did their best to produce good results from two completely different television signals. 

Although CTV had been in the USA for many years not many U.K. residents had seen colour pictures on a television, the oohs and awes were as much for the results but also the eye watering price for one channel with only a few hours of colour a night.

Still it was a beginning that became the norm.

Frank

Posted : 03/02/2019 2:49 pm
Terrykc
(@terrykc)
Member Rest in Peace

Ah, yes - oohs and aahs.

Before the actual launch of colour in the UK the BBC showed Wimbledon in colour. We had a Bush CTV25 for a week for demonstration purposes - at the end of the week it was supposed to be transferred to the next dealer in the queue, so there obviously hadn't been many sets produced by then.

A day later, we took delivery of a Baird M700, so we whisked that upstairs to the workshop for a detailed 'technical examination'!

A couple of days later, I returned from my lunch break to find that the Baird had disappeared! (Anybody ahead of me here?)

Yes, the CTV25's LOPT had caught fire and the Baird was now sitting proudly where it had been in the shop!

Wimbledon that year wasn't, to my mind, the ideal material for the first colour TV display that most people had ever seen. It had been a beautiful sunny summer and the grass was bleached to a light straw colour and, of course, all the players in those days wore nothing but white. The ball boys uniforms weren't exactly colourful either.

The M700 was in a display area halfway between the shop door and the counter, so all customers had to walk past it. They would stop for a moment or two and the most common comment was: "Is that supposed to be colour?"

However, if they waited for one of those brief interruptions to proceedings that occur during the game, the cameras would take the opportunity to show pictures of the spectators who were wearing a splendid assortment of highly coloured summer clothes - that was when the oohs and aahs came!

When all else fails, read the instructions

Posted : 04/02/2019 11:01 am
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi all, well today is MY birthday switch-on.... 50 years old and I am spending it in bed with a snivelling cold. Yes, lovely.

On a more serious note, I am grateful simply to be able to celebrate another birthday. Sadly, some people have not been so fortunate.

Posted : 12/02/2019 2:58 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Happy birthday, well as happy as you can be stuck in bed with a cold. So instead of a photo of a cake, perhaps a photo of a good Speyside malt.

68F0961E 8894 4CDF B2B2 B73901EE6933

Frank

Posted : 12/02/2019 3:24 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Prominent Member Registered

Best wishes on your birthday Andrew and hope you're feeling better soon.

John.

Posted : 12/02/2019 8:57 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Thanks chap's ? 

Posted : 12/02/2019 10:09 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

Happy birthday from me too and get well soon Andrew. 

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 13/02/2019 12:00 am
Lloyd
(@lloyd)
Prominent Member Registered

Happy belated birthday, and hope the cold clears off soon too!

Posted : 13/02/2019 7:23 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Cheers guy's, am getting over it now. Back to work today.

It has been more of a fever than a regular cold, aching muscles all over and feeling freezing cold one moment, but then sweating and burning up the next. Not often I am confined to bed though, and this sapped every last bit of energy I had.

Posted : 13/02/2019 9:51 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account

This and the original thread on the sets repair have been very interesting, now I should say that I have little experience in domestic electronics, my time was spent in millatary avionics, mostly on fighter aircraft, this is another world of pain which I will not go into, but the ringing on the displayed picture brings back the problems I had with Head Up Displays (HUD). HUD does not use a raster display, the displayed information is "drawn" in a cursive manner so it is easy to see through it.  To get to the point, ringing was cause by a mutiple whafer switch, much like a system switch in this tv, so have a good look at that.  Do forgive me for sticking my two penneth in, as I say this is not my field, but you never know.

Posted : 29/09/2022 9:47 am
PYE625 reacted
Page 2 / 2
Share: