BBCtv Colour promotional posters

6 Posts
4 Users
24 Likes
colourstar
(@colourstar)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

I recently came across some images of a wonderful set of posters sent out to TV dealers promoting colour on BBC television. These would date from the change to colour on BBC1 in November 1969. I had this collection around ten or so years ago and it ended up with a museum (for some reason the Isle of Wight rings a bell). These are super super rare and I've never seen another set.  Hope you enjoy them!

Steve

CT1
CT2
CT3
CT5
CT6
CT7
CT9
CT4
CT8

Posted : 20/06/2020 7:26 am
ntscuser, Nuvistor, Red_to_Black and 12 people reacted
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Ooo, thosee are very nice indeed, never seen them before.

Back in 2015 I created a single page article for the blog on the launch of the colour service. At the time the only period material I had was a one page fold-out flyer, which was included with the Times newspaper. Your material would have been very nice to have scanned, considering Radios-TV mission is to document TV. 

I hope you don't mind Steve, I've taken copies of those photos and added them to the blog article. If you would prefer them not to be used, just say and I will remove, I'll understand.

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/vintage-electronics-blog-forum/colour-lauches-in-the-uk/

p.s.
I know I'm preaching to the converted but for new starters and guests looking in, if you've not browsed the blog, its a rabbit-hole, well worth a visit. Articles, brochures (colour TV, B&W TV, VCR, audio etc), catalogues, magazines, trade papers, and reams of free-to-view data,stock-faults, dial scans, battery scans.. the list is endless. https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 20/06/2020 8:00 am
colourstar
(@colourstar)
Topic starter

Hi Chris - yes by all means. This is the best place to store the images for posterity so please feel free to use them as required. I only wish I still had the originals to scan for you. In fact now I think of it, I may still have one fold out banner for BBC sport in colour. I'll have a rummage later...

Steve

Posted : 20/06/2020 8:41 am
Red_to_Black, Nuvistor, Red_to_Black and 3 people reacted
colourstar
(@colourstar)
Topic starter

A little more excavation has yielded my one remaining promotional poster plus a few rather tattered pages from the Radio Times issue in November 1969 that covered the first week of BBC1 colour. Hope these are of interest.

Steve

CT2
CT3
CT4
CT1

Posted : 20/06/2020 7:03 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Oh the irony "Black And White Is Dead" - Not for a long, at the time, and there's still a small contingent of black and white (allegedly) viewers!

I remember the Ferguson advert - Good grief, I feel old all of a sudden!

Posted : 20/06/2020 7:40 pm
kswhite
(@kswhite)
New Member Registered

Thoroughly amazing posters, Steve, your Coverage Details one from the Radio Times particularly sparked my interest.

Posted : 02/08/2020 11:46 am
Share: