Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Bought an old PYE TV, absolute beginner  

Page 2 / 2

RichardFromMarple
(@richardfrommarple)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

My Sony VCR originally picked up some channel IDs when I first tuned it.

Unfortunately since the analogue switch-off I've managed to accidentally lose a couple of these & there seems to be no way of programming them manually.

My Sister's combined TV/VCR had channel IDs that could be manually entered, she was a little amused when I entered GRAN for ITV, as it only allowed 4 characters.

Posted : 01/11/2020 10:57 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

Some sets used info from the Teletext header data to automatically program the channel ID. Later, customers could manually enter channel label info themselves. Any sets from customers who terminated their rental contracts and were refurbished for re-hire had to have each program locations 1-99 inspected for any rude words 😱

John.

Posted : 01/11/2020 11:40 pm
Katie Bush and Doz liked
EmleyMoor
(@emleymoor)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

I'm wondering how the channel indicator on 1980/81 Finlandias worked... each had a "shows this when not tuned" but it seemed to change with the actual tuned channel.

"Yes, a bit of wet string may get you a good TV signal here on four channels, but you'll have to dry it out to get Channel 5!"

Posted : 06/11/2020 1:11 am
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator
Posted by: @jayceebee

. Any sets from customers who terminated their rental contracts and were refurbished for re-hire had to have each program locations 1-99 inspected for any rude words

I remember something like that, but it was a set that would appear to have been got at by a bored child with way too much time on their hands. I was a Sony Hi-Black Trinitron of around 1993 vintage, and although it didn't make much sense at first glance of the top two or three entries, if you scrolled down the list, it read something like this;

MY

DAD

SAYS

I

MUST

GO

TO

BED

SO

I

WILL

BUT

MY

DOG

WILL

COME

TOO

SEE

YOU

L8R

Maybe boredom, or possibly just played with over a few nights, but I know the words you mean!

Posted : 06/11/2020 6:04 pm
Alex728 liked
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

@katie-bush

That brought a smile, the sets I fixed never had that type of utility.

Frank

Posted : 06/11/2020 9:34 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator
Posted by: @nuvistor

@katie-bush

That brought a smile, the sets I fixed never had that type of utility.

I still have a few Sony models from that era. Maybe I'll dig one out sometime and see if I can recreate the list. In reality, it was only there to allow the user to place labels against the various inputs, so realistically, you'd expect to see something like this;

BBC-1

BBC-2

ITV

C-4

CH-5

SAT

CATV

VCR

VCR2

GAME

CAM

----

----

CVBS

RGB

SVHS

----

----

C-01

C-01

C-01

C-01

C-01

I think the ---- meant there was no input allocated, and C-01 meant unallocated RF inputs (available but not tuned).

With those particular sets you could assign any programme location to any type of input, even the default RFs were not sacrosanct, so you could, in theory put the video inputs on P1, P2, P3, P4, and P5, then insert the the default RFs to P6, P7, P8 and so on. Not as crazy as it might seem, if the set was used for AV presentations in a lecture hall, for example. They also had the ability to take and display any input on the screen, and simultaneously redirect that input to any of the video outputs, even the same one that the signal was coming in on! That lead to some interesting screen artefacts - video equivalent to an audio feedback loop!

They were nice sets, and also had a nice price (well over £600 apiece) when new. Even the Teletext system went a step beyond, with features like a page memory to allow instant recall of user stored pages, and a feature called "Page Catching" which allowed the user to select any page number that was displayed on the screen, or in a menu, by way of the navigate buttons and enter, without having to type any digits. It was fast and handy to have.

Posted : 07/11/2020 8:57 pm
Page 2 / 2