Posted : 29/09/2016 7:46 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Chris said
Think I'll dust off the old time machine and nip back to 1981. tele07_gif

briarwood.jpg  

In batches of 10?

Cor Blimey Gov, You'd need a warehouse the size of Battersea power station !!! grin_gif

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 29/09/2016 8:27 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Those sets would have been around 10 years old then, I wonder what condition they were in, the Pye 697 would have had the burnt PCB problems in the Line/PSU and CDA boards unless they had been replaced. I also seem to recall the convergence PCB's starting to give trouble with the heat of the ww pots. The Bush would be OK except perhaps the PSU PCB.

Plenty Thorn for your entertainment Chris.

Frank

Frank

Posted : 29/09/2016 8:30 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

PYE625 said

In batches of 10?

Cor Blimey Gov, You'd need a warehouse the size of Battersea power station !!! grin_gif  

But look at the discount if you get 20 cheers

Frank

Frank

Posted : 29/09/2016 8:34 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

I wonder if that's where the huge glut of G6s came from, that hit York in the mid to late 70's - Hundred's of the things, in every telly shop I ever went in, all piled up in "the back room"....hmm_gif

Posted : 30/09/2016 8:33 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Who would have been the target market for these sets, because they were already getting long in the tooth? Less well-off families finally converting to colour, second sets for the more affluent, who?

Posted : 30/09/2016 9:07 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Cathovisor said
Who would have been the target market for these sets, because they were already getting long in the tooth? Less well-off families finally converting to colour, second sets for the more affluent, who?  

I think they were sold to smaller rental shops, perhaps with less overheads than the big rental outfits. Some seemed to do quite well out of the business. So via a small rental outfit you would be correct about the target market.

Frank

Frank

Posted : 01/10/2016 12:22 am
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)
Prominent Member Banned

Pretty much the same as here in the late 80s, we had a Thorn ex-rental warehouse on our doorstep (Teleprice) and around here was literally flooded with Thorn sets and VCRs, the shops I worked for did a roaring trade in sales at the time.

The better small shops (which I worked for) put guarantees on stuff that was sold, there were a few lone rangers delivering sets from taxis as well.

we mainly sold to the lower to middle range of the market, even then about 1988 a decent text G11/TX10 was still sold for about 70 quid, VCRs were still fairly expensive a refurbed 3V23 about a £135, the 3V29 top loader about a £110 this was to shop sales to the public, and we were one of the cheaper outlets.

We also sold some 9K sets at the bottom end of the price range, but they had to be in exceptionally good condition, we ended up with loads of earlier sets as trade ins, these were usually absolutely worn out and were mostly just scrapped.

All my bosses around this time were honest men, they sold decent sets for a fair price for the time backed up by warranty.

Before I was in the trade though and prior to Thorn flooding up here with ex-rental stuff, this would have been around the back end of the 70s to early mid 80s there must have been a Philips outlet of some sort because G8s were everywhere just like the Thorn sets later.

Chris would have had a field day in our graveyard. grin_gif

Posted : 01/10/2016 12:52 am
Focus Diode
(@focus)
Honorable Member Registered

They also sold "Good working mono TVs, Pye, GEC, Bush etc." for £8 each +VAT for d/s rotaries.

I purchased one mail order in 1981. In due course a huge box containing an ITT/KB KV025/1 arrived in perfect condition some 250 miles south of Bradford!

As advertised good working I switched it on. Sound but no picture, hmm... The top cap connection to the PL36 had become detached probably through its long journey south. Sorting this out resulted in a superb picture and a perfectly working set!

Happy memories when such sets were still common.

Brian

Posted : 01/10/2016 10:17 am
colourmaster
(@colourmaster)
Honorable Member Registered

Hi 

Blimey that brings back memories , i used to travel down to Bradford regularly on a Wednesday on my day off .

I must have bought hundreds of G8's from them  in the past , i think they were mostly ex Visionhire as they would have the big yellow stock label on the back .

Regards .

Gary.

Posted : 01/10/2016 10:19 am
Share: