Burning Bush

38 Posts
14 Users
15 Likes
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Well, the "Burning Bush" certainly sparked some good discussion.

All I can remember is back in the day when the early A823's were starting to be scrapped at my local RBM dealer, he often had a RBM valve colour set for scrap. The blunt reply when asked about them was "No sonny, it is too dangerous". Yet he would let me have A823's, no problem. This only served to increase my curiosity as to what was so dangerous about the valve variety.... so much so, I remember it clearly to this day. I can still picture the little back storage area all stacked up with goodies and sets to be chucked.....waa_gif

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 25/10/2016 8:53 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Can't imagine anyone wishing to have a Bush T20 in a collection, horrible sets, I know because I had loads of them on rental.  T22 was a bit better and the T26 turned out to be not too bad at all.

Nevertheless, for those needing parts, I still have a few replacement scan coil plug and socket assemblies for the T20.

I was lucky, didn't become a Bush dealer until 1972 and even by then the CTV25 was considered as not being nice.

Perhaps the later dual standard models with the EHT quadrupler were better, the Bush CTV174D. Mixed technologies in this set, valves, transistors and even an IC, the Plessey SL901 in it's earliest form.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 25/10/2016 9:11 pm
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)
Honorable Member Registered

How come no one ever coined a nickname for the Murphy sets which used the exact same chassis? confused

Classic TV Theme Tunes

Posted : 25/10/2016 9:32 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Like "Melting Murphy?" 

Nowhere as good as Burning Bush..... "Well, don't stand so near to the fire then !!"

Ooh-er Missus.

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 25/10/2016 9:33 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

ntscuser said
How come no one ever coined a nickname for the Murphy sets which used the exact same chassis? confused  

"Burning Bush" is a Biblical reference - Exodus 3:2 to be precise.

And the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush: and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed.

Posted : 25/10/2016 9:53 pm
Alastair
(@alastair)
Reputable Member Registered

Hmm--With all this about problem sets/hot issues--They Still Cant Get It Right, even now!

Have a look at this site that deals with newish flat-screens, the carnage Inside an LED type backlit set-

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57897

Posted : 25/10/2016 10:34 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Alastair said
Hmm--With all this about problem sets/hot issues--They Still Cant Get It Right, even now!

Have a look at this site that deals with newish flat-screens, the carnage Inside an LED type backlit set-

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57897  

Unfortunately you can't see the pictures unless you're a member of that site.

Posted : 25/10/2016 10:38 pm
Alastair
(@alastair)

Ah--oh, wonder if I can 'pinch' a pic of it....Forum 142

Posted : 25/10/2016 10:44 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Alastair said
Ah--oh, wonder if I can 'pinch' a pic of it....Forum 142  

I'd just point out that unless you ask the OP first, re-using someone else's picture(s) without their permission is poor netiquette... (looks for finger-wagging smiley, fails)

Posted : 25/10/2016 10:50 pm
Alastair
(@alastair)

Ah--You know me, Never one for political-correctness gone mad, as I detest it in all its forms!

--I'll drop the feller a message about the link anyway...

Posted : 25/10/2016 10:54 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Till Eulenspiegel said
Can't imagine anyone wishing to have a Bush T20 in a collection, horrible sets, I know because I had loads of them on rental.  T22 was a bit better and the T26 turned out to be not too bad at all.

So, a 'horrible set' that nonetheless kept you in business...?

The only failures my brother had on his T20 were the 910Ω resistor in the PSU and the plating on the channel selector switches which meant you couldn't reliably select a channel.

Posted : 26/10/2016 11:37 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

I was not that fond of any of the RBM CTV's,  the CTV25, A823 or T20. The earlier two I thought the picture did not compare to the CDA circuits, the T20 had reliability problems. Cannot comment on the later versions but they joined up with Toshiba if my memory is correct and the short time I was involved they seemed ok.

We started selling the ITT CVC20/30 sets and those had a decent picture and quite reliable.

Frank

edit the CTV25 was CDA, still not the best of pictures.

Frank

Posted : 26/10/2016 11:54 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

"Horrible Bush T20 TVs kept me business" Well I suppose these sets did but thankfully I had hundreds of much better sets out on rental.  I did a lot better with the Ferguson models, that is until the ICC5 came along. Best of the lot was the Toshiba sets including certain 20" Bush and Murphy models fitted with a version of the Toshiba X53B chassis.

Liked the Rank-Bush-Murphy A823 series. OK, the pictures could have been better. At least they didn't catch fire.

Interesting to note that the discount stores didn't appear until all the complicated dual-standard CTVs ceased to be marketed.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 26/10/2016 12:43 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)
Prominent Member Banned

Cathovisor said

The only failures my brother had on his T20 were the 910Ω resistor in the PSU and the plating on the channel selector switches which meant you couldn't reliably select a channel. 

The 910 ohm resistor was part of the line output derived 12V regulator which fed the line oscillator chip, the start up supply for this chip coming via a kick start capacitor from the main psu single 200V rail first to get things going if my memory serves.

We had a fair few on-off switch failures too, usually the pull-on/push-off rotary type, they could fail permanently on more often than failing open.

Posted : 26/10/2016 7:15 pm
occiput
(@occiput)
Estimable Member Registered

Alastair said
Ah--You know me, Never one for political-correctness gone mad, as I detest it in all its forms!

--I'll drop the feller a message about the link anyway...  

So, the politest suggestion that it's rude to steal someone else's work and use it as your own is "political correctness gone mad"?

Where exactly do you live? You can hardly object to being the subject of a bit of applied breaking-and-entering. 🙂

Posted : 26/10/2016 8:00 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Posted by: @till

Can't imagine anyone wishing to have a Bush T20 in a collection, horrible sets, I know because I had loads of them on rental. 

Hee, Hee..... just trawling old posts and came across this from seven years ago, guilty as charged 🙃 I added one to my collection.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 22/06/2022 6:28 pm
WayneD, Lloyd, WayneD and 3 people reacted
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Actually, the T26 was a much better chassis. Being equipped with the 30AX CRT resulted in a much simplified circuit design and was cooler in operation compared with the earlier 20AX models.   Sold and rented very few T26 sets.  Rank-Radio-International ceased trading in 1980. At that time the company was selling off many made-for-export sets to dealers. Some models had grey and silver cabinets. Complex remote control systems.

Still have a few T20 spare parts.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 22/06/2022 8:28 pm
WayneD
(@wayned)
Honorable Member Registered

When I was a kid in the early 80s I remember watching a Children's programme on ITV called Get Up & Go (later renamed Mooncat & Co.) and each episode would usually be themed around a job e.g. postal service, window cleaners etc and would feature a real life filmed segment of someone doing said job. 

One episode was about the fire brigade and the filmed segment was of a house on fire, two things that stood out to me:

1) how the occupant of said house was very casually walking over to a phone box to dial 999.

2) the very clear shot of the TV on fire, which Mooncat comments: "Ah, it's the television that's on fire!" implying that the fire was caused by the TV and this is a common occurrence!

Had nightmares of my parents Pye CT450 burning the house down after that.

Posted : 14/07/2022 9:59 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: