Christmas 2014

52 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

So what Vintage TV will you be watching this Christmas?

Me? well this time last year I embarked on my Baird 8724 rebuild, so it was not ready. This year I will be sat in my 70's front parlour enjoying a very vintage 70's Xmas on the Baird.

I don't plan to watch the 2014 schedule at all, instead I will be my own scheduler. It will be a fun packed xmas schedule filled with all the classics, starting Xmas eve with Albert Finney, in the musical adaption of A Christmas Carol. Among others there will be Christmas editions of Crossroads, Terry and June, The Good Life, George and Mildred, Harry Worth, Mike Yarwood, Morecambe & Wise and the Two Ronnies. Not forgetting the generation game and many late night meat & pickle movies such as the Maltese Falcon and other classics. Most evenings wound up with a classic Parkinson interview with a Hollywood legend.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 13/12/2014 3:18 pm
AidanLunn
(@aidanlunn)
Honorable Member Registered

If there was a way of playing this on such old TVs, then you could play this at the end of each day, for that truly authentic viewing experience 😉 Possibly even the globe silently before each BBC programme.

Me? I shall be using my Sobell T192, or my Thorn TX9 chassis set (can't remember model no.) if I briefly get bored with watching in B&W 405.

(Whatever happened to the) Likely Lads
Only when I Laugh
loads of programmes I have on DVD that were made in 405 (Please Sir series 1 - still on its' original 405-line VTs, by the way, as are S1 and S2 of Callan, which I might also watch!).
Doctor Who (Hartnell and Troughton eras)
Dad's Army
Up Pompeii
On the Buses
I may even get hooked again on the original 1960s BBC TV adaptation of The Forsyte Saga.
Maybe Charlie Drake in The Worker
Rising Damp
and Sez Les (Dawson), too.
Speaking of Les Dawson, maybe a Blankety Blank Christmas special of his.
The Sweeney and Minder may also get a look-in.

Loads of BBC and ITV classics.

Posted : 13/12/2014 4:48 pm
Valvebloke
(@valvebloke)

I'll be using our modern projector TV I'm afraid. But all the music will be coming, as it always does, through one or other of the vintage valve amps and (probably) the 1970's speakers. I should also have (fingers crossed !) a reworked 1960's Hacker Gondolier ready as a present for my niece.

As far as programming goes any TV that we do watch will be on the current channels or on DVD. On Christmas Eve I'll be making a special effort to catch the digitally remastered 1954 live broadcast of the very first 'Carols from Kings' (19:00, BBC4, http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/news/2014/an ... kings.html) and I'll have to record the associated documentary http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/news/2014/an ... kings.html (with Juliet Stevenson, swoon !) to fit in when I get the chance.

VB

AmpRegen http://www.ampregen.com

Posted : 13/12/2014 5:09 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Christmas Eve I'll be making a special effort to catch the digitally remastered 1954 live broadcast of the very first 'Carols from Kings' (19:00, BBC4, http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/news/2014/an ... kings.html)
VB

Thanks for the tip off, I will aim to listen to that too :thumb

Posted : 13/12/2014 5:15 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

I'm wondering how, with the aid of restored box sets, YouTube and the like, how much of a Christmas Day schedule could be replicated with the aid of the BBC Genome project...

I noted elsewhere that BBC Studios and Post Production has been instrumental in further restoring The Sweeney and The Professionals for Blu-ray release.... (connoisseurs of the latter show will recognise the still from the first short-lived opening title sequence, which featured Gordon Jackson explaining who and what The Professionals were, until the classic 'Granada-through-a-window' titles were created)

Posted : 13/12/2014 7:28 pm
Valvebloke
(@valvebloke)

Christmas Eve I'll be making a special effort to catch the digitally remastered 1954 live broadcast of the very first 'Carols from Kings' (19:00, BBC4, http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/news/2014/an ... kings.html)
VB

Thanks for the tip off, I will aim to listen to that too :thumb

You can watch it as well if you like - it's BBC4 telly, not the wireless. Unfortunately I think we only get to hear Juliet S the next day (or whenever).

VB

Posted : 13/12/2014 7:37 pm
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed Member Moderator

Talking of all these old classic TV series, does anyone remember 'Budgie' starring Adam Faith? I seem to remember he was an ex con who did the dirty work for Gordon Jackson (can't remember the character Jackson played).

I always thought it was quite good but I've never seen it repeated or on DVD

Posted : 13/12/2014 7:46 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

I'm wondering how, with the aid of restored box sets, YouTube and the like, how much of a Christmas Day schedule could be replicated with the aid of the BBC Genome project...

Great idea to recreate actual schedules from the past.

All my vintage TV's are not only connected to a central DVD player but also connected to my computer network via Pinnacle Show-centre media box. This in turn being hooked back to a server which holds over 3.6TB of shows and films. I have the ability from that to create a days schedule via a playlist, so its almost like being your own TV channel. I did toy with getting an old TV/Radio times and seeing just how much I could recreate an actual day.

Posted : 13/12/2014 7:54 pm
Valvebloke
(@valvebloke)

... I did toy with getting an old TV/Radio times and seeing just how much I could recreate an actual day.

You'd be nadgered for the weather forecast I reckon :bba .

VB

Posted : 13/12/2014 8:05 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Well, I can certainly listen to The Dance Band Days for 22 and 29 December 1975, as I have them on cassette, complete with news bulletins; this was the time of the infamous OPEC siege...

Posted : 13/12/2014 8:20 pm
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)

Talking of all these old classic TV series, does anyone remember 'Budgie' starring Adam Faith? I seem to remember he was an ex con who did the dirty work for Gordon Jackson (can't remember the character Jackson played).

I think you mean Iain Cuthbertson who played "Charlie Endell"?

There was a spin-off series featuring Charlie Endell as well but it wasn't very successful.

Classic TV Theme Tunes

Posted : 13/12/2014 8:27 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

All my vintage TV's are not only connected to a central DVD player but also connected to my computer network via Pinnacle Show-centre media box. This in turn being hooked back to a server which holds over 3.6TB of shows and films.

I have a similar setup using a QNAP NAS box and a WDTV Live! box - this also means that I can pull the trick on sceptics of watching a YouTube clip on my phone and then porting it over - as if by magic! - via a standards converter to a 405 set :bba

Posted : 13/12/2014 8:35 pm
dtvmcdonald
(@dtvmcdonald)
Eminent Member Registered

For me this will be a very very special Christmas indeed!

I got the Christmas present I asked for in 1954 when I was 9 years old!

An RCA CT-100 COLOR TV!

It has been recapped, re-resistored and thoroughly realigned (81 adjustments!)

And works great.

What will I watch on it? No idea! For some odd reason there will be
no football game on Christmas. This is very very un-American.

Posted : 13/12/2014 9:02 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Wonderful set :thumb

I spend many hours watching drh4683, shango066 and Bandersentv working on all those glorious early American colour roundies. I must admit I prefer the early to late sixties sets though. Oh how I wish I could get one.

If you ever get the time you really should share your restoration, thoughts, photos and stories with us. It would be a rare treat for our UK forum.

Posted : 13/12/2014 9:11 pm
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed Member Moderator

I think you mean Iain Cuthbertson who played "Charlie Endell"?

There was a spin-off series featuring Charlie Endell as well but it wasn't very successful.

oops....yes! You're right and now I remember Charlie Endell. I wonder if any made it to DVD? I'll have to check.

Edit: Yes it did. Example here

Posted : 13/12/2014 9:18 pm
AidanLunn
(@aidanlunn)

I always thought it was quite good but I've never seen it repeated or on DVD

It is on DVD, I have both series 🙂

And excellent the series is, too! First 4 episodes were made in black and white, though due to the ITV colour strike of 1970/71.

Posted : 13/12/2014 11:02 pm
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)

Georgina Hale complained that for years afterwards she was known by everyone as "Budgie's wife" even though she only ever appeared in four of the twenty-six episodes.

Classic TV Theme Tunes

Posted : 13/12/2014 11:17 pm
Terrykc
(@terrykc)
Member Rest in Peace

However you intend to celebrate the festive season this year, here's some seasonal advice:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6cbtazpyzqvr ... s.mp3?dl=0

When all else fails, read the instructions

Posted : 14/12/2014 12:47 am
Focus Diode
(@focus)

"Charles Endell Esq" I seem to recall, made by STV? Think it was a victim of the big ITV strike of 1979 so it didn't get much of a chance really.

Love the sound of the RCA Color TV, perfect for viewing those Andy Williams Christmas specials on. BBC4 showed a compilation a few years ago featuring color VT as early as 1962.

Brian

Posted : 14/12/2014 12:34 pm
Tazman1966
(@tazman1966)
Reputable Member Registered

Back onto the topic in question, and here's our winter vintage set up this year in the kitchen/diner and we've gone all Japanese! My Teleton C18BS, an nice olive green Roberts R505 and the little tree complete with a set of 20 screw in lights from the 60s.

Merry Christmas everyone from Mr and Mrs S :)

PS: I wonder how easy it is to spot the music video...

PPS: The festive test card F is one of the ones featured on Mikey405's disc.

Posted : 14/12/2014 5:34 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: