Notifications
Clear all

CTV rescue.

Page 1 / 2

malcscott
(@malcscott)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

I have just rescued a 1988 Ferguson 51j7  (TX99) from a derelict house, should keep me busy this afternoon, Malc.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/09/2016 1:40 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Hi Malc,

Do you have a photo? I don't know anything about the TX range of Thorn sets, sort of out of my area of interest.

I have a number of brochures from the 80's have a look here, scroll about half way down, it starts to show 80's sets, is it any of those?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/09/2016 2:21 pm
malcscott
(@malcscott)

Hi Chris, not on that list. I will post a couple of pics later. Should have a good chance of getting it away as it is fitted with a 21 inch Philips crt. Cant remember these loosing emission, tho the scan coils often made a row, Malc.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/09/2016 2:40 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Okie Doke, look forward to reading your resurrection report.

p.s

Moved the thread to the CTV section, more relevant there than the lounge thumb_gif 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/09/2016 2:45 pm
malcscott
(@malcscott)

Cheers, nice to be back among friends again! Malc.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/09/2016 2:53 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)

Hi Malc,

I had loads of these ex-rental , more than half had flat tubes after only a very short service life.

Another problem with these were crt flashovers, resulting in the demise of the M 494 remote control IC.

Hi Chris.

This chassis was an update to the popular Thorn TX90 chassis, it was a short lived chassis relatively speaking, it was a sort of cross between the TX100 and the TX90, the PSU was almost the same as the TX 100 (TDA4600) with the front end and frame output almost identical to the earlier TX90 albeit updated with the more modern chip for the "jungle IC" (TDA4505E), the line output stage was more conventional, it did not form part of the PSU as in the TX90.The colour decoder was also a modern IC than both the TX100 and the TX90.

The Frame output section also suffered from almost exactly the same type of faults as the earlier TX90 on which it was based had.

It catered for 90 degree tubes up to 21", the remote control board was separate as in the TX90 and 100, it also had provision for teletext. the remote and text panels were very similar to the last TX100 models.

This chassis replaced the small screen TX100 (21") models and was also available in portable versions.

This chassis itself was replaced by the single board TX98 chassis not long after, which was very similar electronically except had remote and text built in to the main board using more modern chips for the text and had OSG.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/09/2016 3:08 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

I saw very few Thorn CTVs, when i did it was a learning experience, not very productive though. The set makes and models you got to know brought the money in. I will be watching the restoration with interest.

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/09/2016 3:10 pm
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)
Prominent V-Ratter Registered

Wasn't it Thomson by this stage rather than Thorn?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/09/2016 3:18 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

ntscuser said

I have to say that thought crossed my mind too... duno_gif

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/09/2016 3:21 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)

The TX99 as the TX100 before it was fairly conventional by Thorns earlier chassis designs Frank.

Even the earlier 2 versions of the TX9 with the Thyristor PSU were not conventional in the PSU department, the 3rd version with the normal TDA 4600 supply was pretty conventional too.

The TX100 was an almost text book application note design with conventional chips of the day used throughout.

The clever bit of innovation with the TX100 was that the basic design could be used to cater for so many screen sizes and additional feature, this was the shape of things to come later by other manufacturers.

All of Thorns earlier designs were far from conventional, from the TX90, the earlier TX9s, and the TX10 backwards Thorn did things their own way with their own peculiarities.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/09/2016 3:26 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)

ntscuser said

The takeover was either imminent or had only just occurred, these chassis were either already in the pipeline, or Thorns development was still given free rein at this point in time, as these chassis were as I said just an update/makeover to what had gone before.

The later TX98 might have had some Thomson influence as the OSG was very similar in a lot of respects to the Ferguson ICC5 versions, but then again the OSG design used in the Ferguson ICC5 could have been Thorns own design anyway as the text/OSG PCB used on that version was definitely made by Thorn rather than Thomson.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/09/2016 3:35 pm
malcscott
(@malcscott)

Here are a couple of pics.S5031087.JPGS5031088.JPGS5031089.JPGS5031090.JPG

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/09/2016 4:59 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

Definitely not seen one of these, I was probably enjoying myself fixing mini computers when these came to market.

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/09/2016 5:20 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)

Thanks for the pics Malc thumb_gif, a Fastext version too.

It is amazing how dated that looks now, I can remember when they were brand spanking new.

I am actually surprised that any still survive, seeing how they were only an interim chassis made as a stop-gap, and far fewer were made than the TX100, also given the reliability and longevity was somewhat questionable.

It was after all a budget chassis/set plus not really a new design as such more of a quick re-hash job grin_gif

I suppose you could look at this chassis (and the TX98) as the latter day 9800 wink

I don't suppose Thorn went out of their way to spend a large amount of money in development costs at this time due to either being in the process of being sold to Thomson, or already just being taken over.

The ICC5 had taken the premium models slot including 21" models, also replacing the large screen TX100 range and was current.

The budget portables had been mainly taken over from the TX90 by the TX85, then the slightly updated TX86 and the more modern looking TX 89.

There was also a premium portable Thomson IKC2 model 41P3 so it is hard to see really where this chassis fits in apart from really the 21" cheapy models vacated by the TX100 and possibly the mid range portables.

In typical Thorn fashion though there was a lot of model/range overlap and duplication.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/09/2016 5:38 pm
malcscott
(@malcscott)

First inspection reveals an o/c on/off switch. Looks awkward to get to. Going to find one, should have a few in stock, Malc.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 19/09/2016 12:58 pm
malcscott
(@malcscott)

Well this has turned out to be a quick, boring repair. A replacement on/off switch was all that was needed to bring this set back to life. I will remove the main pcb and give it a good resoldering and clean out set with the air line. More pics to follow, Malc.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 20/09/2016 4:00 pm
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Well you've got to have an easy one sometimes! It means you can get on to the next set quickly and maybe have more playtime with it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/09/2016 4:38 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)

Nice to see you have it working Malc cheers

I stopped buying these in ex-rental, still repaired quite a few though, I still have the provisional service sheet somewhere too.

The chassis itself wasn't too bad to fix, fragile print aside, as already said the PSU followed a similar fault pattern to the TX100, and the frame circuit followed almost identical fault patterns to the well known by then TX90.

The remote panel let these sets down IMO, the expensive single chip M494 micro (TACS chip) was very susceptible to being destroyed in various ways by any hint of a flashover anywhere in the set. Incidentally the same series of chip and electrically very similar remote panel used in late model TX100s (H series models) was just as bad, the earlier chip from the same family as used in the earlier remote TX90 sets could fail in the same/similar ways although no where near as prevalently.

Another thing, I always thought the picture looked a bit "artificial" on these sets, you could not really put your finger on it, there was a fault that gave a "plasticy picture" but I am talking about even the good ones, mind you the customers never noticed and seemed to like both the pictures and the styling at the time. The styling did look really modern when they first came out, but also seemed to "age" quite dramatically within a short few years, I am not sure if this was down to the more frequent "fashion changes" or what.

The CRTs never seemed to last very long either, however it wasn't just these sets that applied to.

Maybe it is just because I saw a lot more of the bad ones duno_gif I don't know

the J models were IIRC called monitor styling, at the time I preferred the K models (51K3/51K2) although I think now your J series styling have stood the tests of time better.

The TX98 51P7 was very stylish for the time too, same case style of its ICC5 chassis bigger brother the 59P7 and very similar looks wise to the Philips G90 sets of the day.

I reckon these sets are pretty rare now Malc as even the more popular and longer running in production (and much better IMO) TX100 sets seem to have practically disappeared, the older Thorn stuff such as Chris collects seem to be more common these days.

Thanks for a trip down memory lane cheers, I look forward to seeing more of your pictures.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/09/2016 11:50 pm
malcscott
(@malcscott)

I have just noticed a label on the crt. It looks like this set was a refurb, it states, Boldon - 0440 - Week 50 - 95. Looks like it was refurbed around christmas 1995, Malc.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 21/09/2016 2:41 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)

Hi Malc,

I cannot recall if Boldon started up after Teleprice shut down or not now, it was still operating under the Thorn Homeserve banner, one of my ex bosses (ex Thorn himself) knew a couple of the engineers there, I knew one or two in passing.

last I heard it burnt down! whether that was true or not I really couldn't say though, as by then the writing was on the wall and I was no longer interested in sales only the repair side.

I actually don't know if the fire led to its demise or it was when Thorn and Granada launched Box Clever.

It did supply the trade (big warehouse customers) too briefly I believe, there was also a depot at Tyne tunnel if I recall.

We tried to buy direct from Thorn in quantity, but sadly we were not big enough, I tried to put a local "consortium" together with other traders so we could buy Artic trailer loads direct from source, but Thorn even then were very coy about whom they would deal with, it seemed a "very closed shop", at the time I think Teleprice was by then only the big regional centres, about only three or four warehouses for the whole of the UK having got rid of most of their local branches (including 'our' one on Leechmere Ind. estate in Sunderland).

I remember speaking to one of the regional managers about buying direct and they were not interested, promised to get back to us, blah blah.

I wouldn't mind but my ex-boss was at mine last week dropping my ladders off, I could have asked him then about it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/09/2016 8:44 pm
Page 1 / 2