Decca CS1900: 19" DS STANDARD CTV

14 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
BRC 3000
(@brc_3000)
Trusted Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi All. My first post to the group and I would share one of several interesting ctvs I've recently discovered and added to my collection. This 19 inch Decca is in very nice condition considering it's lived in a garage for around 25 years. Crt test excellent. Not powered up yet. Thought I would get a manual first but looks like a good basis for a nice restoration. Hope you like the pics.

Dave

Decca-rear.jpgDecca-front-1.jpg

Facebook - uk vintage television collectors

Posted : 19/07/2017 10:31 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Dave,

welcome to the forum. That's a nice set there - do tell us more... smile

Posted : 19/07/2017 10:36 am
Focus Diode
(@focus)
Honorable Member Registered

Gosh, these don't turn up very often. I note this is a later version with a tripler in place of the "smokestack" arrangement though I'm not sure if any 19" models existed with the valve EHT arrangement.

Look forward to hearing more!

cheers

Brian

Posted : 19/07/2017 10:41 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Hi and welcome, this is as you probably know the Decca Battersea chassis but the revised version that was released in 1968. I have the same chassis fitted to my Decca CTV22C and it also found its way into the 25" that year replacing the valve derived EHT chassis.

You might be interested to know one of the original designers of this chassis has been in touch with me see here.

Look forward to following this thread, more so as I have to find the initiative to start my CTV22 and this thread may just give me the push I need.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 19/07/2017 11:27 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Focusdiode said
I'm not sure if any 19" models existed with the valve EHT arrangement.

Brian  

I have the Decca workshop manual covering the 25",22" and 19" including all versions of the Battersea. I can at least confirm one 19" was indeed made using valve derived EHT stage rather than tripler, as there is a picture of one in the manual (see below). Whether any physically survive in private collections, is another matter.

dec-1.jpgdec-2.jpg

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 19/07/2017 11:42 am
Focus Diode
(@focus)

The heat generated in the 19" version with the valved EHT tower must've been enormous!

Back to the set in question, it's in lovely condition. I note the coloured Decca badge!

Doctor Who had access to one of these sets as seen on Episode 1 of the 1970 story. "The Ambassadors of Death". Image taken on 405-lines which is how this episode would have been viewed in NE England with 625 UHF colour yet to open!

Looking forward to hearing more about the set.

Edited_ImageEasyImageEditor_20170719_421.jpgwp_ss_20170719_0004.png

Brian

Posted : 19/07/2017 12:46 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

The Pye D/S series had a 19 inch CTV, we sold the Ferrant badged one, this had the GY501/PD500 EHT system, not much room in the cabinet. I don't think they badged a 19 inch Ekco or Pye.

I only remeber fixing it once, it was reliable. The fault was in the EHT cage,  think it was the overwind on the LOPTX that was faulty. Could be wrong of course but I remember having the EHT stack in pieces.

Frank

Posted : 19/07/2017 12:58 pm
acj1980
(@acj1980)
Reputable Member Registered

Hi dave.

It´s a very nice lille CTV you got, it´s a good idea to take a look on the critical components inside it, like capacitors ect. i hope you will show some picturens from it when you have bring it back to life again 😉

greetings from Denmark

Alex 😉 

Posted : 19/07/2017 7:45 pm
BRC 3000
(@brc_3000)
Trusted Member Registered
Topic starter

Thanks for all the info and comments on the little Decca. It came from a retired Tv engineer who had just turned 80. He contacted me as he heared I collected vintage tvs and asked if I would come and clear all the Tvs he has stored up over many years. Turned out to be 70 tvs there. Several early ctvs and loads of dual standards. The condition was I had to clear the lot. So I did there are loads of great sets there to go through so it will take a while to do the Decca. Couple of pics below of some of the tvs there are more. I will start another post on amother rare set I found there 

x70tvs2.jpgx70-tvs1.jpg

Facebook - uk vintage television collectors

Posted : 19/07/2017 10:15 pm
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)

You must have felt like Lord Carnarvon when he discovered the tomb of Tutankhamun? ? 

Classic TV Theme Tunes

Posted : 19/07/2017 11:16 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

I note in the second picture there's what looks like one of the early Sobell sets?

And do we all put in our 'wants lists' now...? wink

Posted : 19/07/2017 11:55 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

Good grief, What a haul of goodies you've got there.

That lot will keep you going for some time ? 

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 20/07/2017 12:27 am
Focus Diode
(@focus)

Wow, a couple of Thorn 950s too.

I noticed one model I never thought I'd see again- this Ultra! The very model we had on rental from Rumbalows between late 1973-77. Seems to have escaped Ultra brochures for some reason so don't know the model number. The triangular black/silver slider control knobs are missing. They came off very easily.

cheers

wp_ss_20170720_0001.pngBrian

Posted : 20/07/2017 8:58 am
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Cooo.....wot a lot of goodies !

Think my green envy gun has just blown a hole in me shadowmask !!  grin_gif

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 20/07/2017 10:33 pm
Share: