62 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
11.4 K Views
davyrocket2
(@davyrocket2)
Trusted Member Banned
Topic starter

I bid and won the auction today for the Decca bradford listed on ebay ,£41.00 which I am going to make contact to arrange collection it may sound different but ,I have collected large televisions ,like a stereo ,Bang & Olufsen 8902 ,from manchester ,using the following method I have a sack truck that has a 3 wheeled arangment ,similar to the 3 wheeled isle of man ,3 legged foot arrangment ,this means it usefull for climbing up or down stairs ect .My approach is to use blister pack and packing tape to make a mummified parcel then tie it onto the trolley ,and use the rail network ,there stations with lifts ramps to put the trolley onto the train ,so hopefully ,Telford to London Euston /then ,St ,pancras to my place in kent,any comments as to whether or not this is a looney approach welcome.I am also asking can anyone point me to source of valve replacments ,the seller said that the previous owner stated that sound but no picture.I realise that caps ect may need replacements or resistors ect .but its a hobby so why not have a go it should be cheaper than the pub reguards David

Posted : 25/01/2015 6:14 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

I have a sack truck that has a 3 wheeled arangment so hopefully ,Telford to London Euston /then ,St ,pancras to my place in kent,any comments as to whether or not this is a looney

Looney yes, Barkin mad is my opinion you've got to be kidding! 

Good luck you're going to need it. This telly weighs a tonne and although smaller than some consoles is still large, cumbersome and a two man lift. I'll stick to shiply, I got a big Colour Baird shipped from London also a B&W console from Winchester, both for £50

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 25/01/2015 6:27 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

My approach is to use blister pack and packing tape to make a mummified parcel then tie it onto the trolley ,and use the rail network ,there stations with lifts ramps to put the trolley onto the train ,so hopefully ,Telford to London Euston /then ,St ,pancras to my place in kent,any comments as to whether or not this is a looney approach welcome.

It's less than ideal Dave, but commendable in that it has a smaller carbon footprint than most methods. However, you are relying on the trains having suitable luggage space for you to put the set in, and it would seem that you may well have to change so it's worth using the National Rail station guides to see what's available in terms of passenger lifts and the like. Train managers may take a very dim view of your parcel blocking doorways if there's no dedicated luggage area or a sensibly sized vestibule; the bit between Euston and St. Pancras I'd walk simply because it would NOT be worth the aggro of the Underground, and it's not that far anyway.

Chances are that Shiply could help; I managed to ship a valuable Koerting Ultramar radio (pre-war) via an antiques courier to Belgium for £130 - they even told me not to bother wrapping it, they'd handle it all! I would seriously try for a quote from them and compare it with the costs of train tickets before you go too far.

After all, I once walked a KB "Deep Scene" from the bottom of my village to the top on a sack truck up a hill, and similarly with the aid of my friend, carried an HMV stereogram from the bottom of the village to the top, so I'm not going to say your idea is madcap!

Posted : 25/01/2015 6:45 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

Hi David,

Your going to need more than just Shredded Wheat to shift that Decca !
It might not be the biggest monster but it's still got the weight, I've still got the back ache from shifting Chris's set....and that was only a few yards to and from a car boot !

Take Chris's advice and use Shiply or a similar company.

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 25/01/2015 6:46 pm
davyrocket2
(@davyrocket2)
Trusted Member Banned
Topic starter

mad maybe but I collected a stereo bang & olufsen tv from manchester from the sellers house onto the tram network, then train to Euston ,15 mins walk along to,St ,Pancras then ,1 hour 40 mins ,and I only live 5 mins from the train station.I do realise the decca is no lightweight but once walking along and using the lifts and ramps at the stations ,not difficult ,plus the wheel arrangment is like the 3,legged isle of man flag ,3 wheel arrangment meaning it can climb up or down stairs if needed ,so not more difficult then when it was used to collect a large ,L.G,washer Dryer , the type that you can wash a full size duphet in or collect large fridge freezers if I can tlit / walk along with the loaded trolley then it shoud be okay thanks for commenting though I expect you will not be the 1st reguards David

Posted : 25/01/2015 7:01 pm
AidanLunn
(@aidanlunn)
Honorable Member Registered

And I thought I was mad, asking the seller to turn up at the nearest train station with the set and then me carry it onto the train to Sheffield station and then use a taxi to get it home!

Posted : 25/01/2015 8:09 pm
colourstar
(@colourstar)

I'm all for a bit of an adventure but think that even my younger madder self would have had serious pause for thought before attempting anything this perilous! Hats off though for being so determined. 

A couple of things strike me:

1) How are you getting from the train station to the house where the Decca is and more to the point how are you and the Decca getting back to the station? Presumably by taxi, but it'll have to be a big 'un (with an understanding driver!)

2) What happens if when you put the Decca on the trolley it turns out to be more of a heavy handful than you can manage? It's bound to get a few jolts en-route which may not be the kindest way to treat an old colour set.

I think when you factor in train and taxi fares plus the sheer amount of downright hassle this mission is likely to entail, you'd do well to heed Chris, Mike and Marc's advice and get a Shiply quote. All you need is the two postcodes and the quotes come back very promptly. The service is excellent and most drivers seem to carry sufficient blankets etc to protect their loads (it's in their interest to, as customers give them ratings for service).

Best of luck,

Steve

Posted : 26/01/2015 8:59 pm
davyrocket2
(@davyrocket2)
Trusted Member Banned
Topic starter

In answer to the questions,the seller has now said its possible to meet up for collecting ,I intend to remove the back and put some blister wrap inside to try to protect the valves /panels and the tube base /neck .I do not know the weight of the Decca it looks heavy and well made. I have already dealt,with a ,L,G ,Washer dryer which was heavy. I collected a ,stereo.bang & oulfsen .8902 2 years ago using the same method .The heaviest thing I have ever lifted was a,cast iron anvil table. The most awkward thing was a engineers flypress but will confess to usesing a car engine crane to assist me with it .I see some body else comments that they manouvered a tv helped by a cabdriver,people I have found in general will help with most things ,I think it just depends on a couple of basic things ,politeness a good attititude in general be nice my attitude is always good in most things I am never rude, I say thanks and walk away never to speak or ask anything of them again ,thanks for comments I will keep informed of progress reguards David .

Posted : 27/01/2015 2:49 am
davyrocket2
(@davyrocket2)
Trusted Member Banned
Topic starter

chris if I try to get a quote from shiply do I need to know the weight ,of the decca ,and what else do they need postcode to collect from and delivery postcode ,also how do I know it will be treated delicately thanks David

Posted : 27/01/2015 2:56 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

David,

We seem to be going around in circles, you're convinced you can do it and keep quoting your past B&O and washer dryer exploits. This is an entirely different beast to those two, much more fragile. Anyway as others have said, full respect to you for your efforts I wish you all the best in your forthcoming endeavour, look forward to another Decca restore thread in the near future.

In answer to your shiply query just register and all will become clear.

I explained some of it in your transport request thread. Once registered with shiply you just put in the e-bay auction ID, it will automatically add the TV photos, the TV's location and other relevant details from the listing. You then just have to provide your post code.

You can guesstimate the weight I did on my sets, it does not have to be exact just don't be silly by greatly under estimating. I know one thing, I cannot lift it on my own due to its bulk size and weight. They would like dimensions, that's easy Height=22" x Width=29" x Depth=23".

Once submitted its important to be patient and not jump in. I've had up to 15 drivers bidding on a job before. For example my Baird was in London, the first driver bid £120 and had all sorts of bids coming in over the next 4 days I finally ended up at £50. Before accepting a quote you can check a driver out as they have feedback just like e-bay.

You don't need to worry about packing, they use blankets etc Think of it as a personal removal man. You may have to wait 2 - 3 weeks before they deliver as its all planned around their routes and when they are in respective areas. They take care as if they damage customers goods, they get poor feedback and hence people avoid their service. Anyway there's far more chance of it being damaged or greatly disturbed trundling along being jarred and bumped on a trolley. The valves are the least of your worries, there's hardly any in there being a hybrid.The boards are the weak spot, they are brittle in these due to the heat they have endured over the years and I would fear cracks being introduced using your method of transport let alone all the other parts being under stress. This is after all a 40+ year old TV.

Once a job is accepted you have to give contact numbers for both ends, they then contact each of you to arrange a mutually convenient time for collection and delivery. You also have to pay a small deposit to shiply but the rest is COD.

Regardless of all the above it may still expensive as you may not be on a popular route, you won't know until you try for a quote. Nothing is binding so you've nothing to loose by at least finding out. All depends on your vendor though, I thought he was on a tight time scale.

Hope that answered your question.

Edit:

I note you ask about where a source of valves can be obtained. These are readily available on e-bay for not a lot of money. Also I'm sure people on the forum may be able to help, however valves will be the least likely cause of fault compared to all the other parts used in the Decca.

The frame output valve in mine ( PL508 ) did however fail and needed replacement, all the others are original and operating fine. Transistors, the two IC's, caps, resistors, diodes and pre-sets are much more likely to give you grief than valves. In fact in nearly all the TV's I've restored over the last 5 years, valves have been the least failure point.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 27/01/2015 8:14 am
davyrocket2
(@davyrocket2)
Trusted Member Banned
Topic starter

I feel appologies are in order if i went on about how I collected various items with my trolley ,I got carried away trying to convince myself I can do it .I have now had a offer of help from a long time friend to collect it from Telford the snag is will it fit into his citroen camper van ,he is going to measure its rear door ,I have the ,height width/depth ,written down. I have also got blankets for protecting it. I have been told that when it was previously bought by the seller who I won the auction from ,that it had sound working but no picture or signs of eht ,maybe its a tripler /lopt fault or the supply lines for these ,the tube has not been tested, but is thought not to have been boosted ,does anyone have,a 26,inch A66/120AX ,mullard I have a good A56/540AX I would offer to help anybody who needs one.I bought a,Muter bmr 90,for £1.99 last year on ebay I have not used it ,is it rated ? .I also would like photocopies of any diagrams ,I currently can not find the disc for a ,all in one photo printer scanner /fax I bought brand new ,it will turn up but till then I can not download or print anything it has bluetooth and a slot for memory cards .

Posted : 27/01/2015 11:05 pm
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed Member Moderator

I currently can not find the disc for a ,all in one photo printer scanner /fax I bought brand new ,it will turn up but till then I can not download or print anything it has bluetooth and a slot for memory cards .

Most drivers can be downloaded. All you need to do is Google the manufacturer and model number. Chances are you'll find the appropriate driver within the first three or four listings offered.

Had to do the same with my all-in-one when I changed to Windows 8.1

Posted : 27/01/2015 11:23 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

Hi David,

If it's any help we put Chris's Decca face down into the boot of VB's Mondeo hatchback with the rear seats down and it fitted quite easily 

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 27/01/2015 11:25 pm
davyrocket2
(@davyrocket2)
Trusted Member Banned
Topic starter

marc its a single rear door camper van if it fits through the rear door then all I have to do is pay for the diesel its owner is a very good friend ,he was a housemaster at a boarding school I was at ,he lives on a canal boat and I have offered him to stay at my place for a few days ,I am in westgate on sea ,kent and he auctually was originally on honeymoon in cliftonville many moons ago,and was going to visit me long ago but always busy until he retired.anyway it may seem the best way to get it here ,reguards David.

Posted : 28/01/2015 12:02 am
Refugee
(@refugee)
Noble Member Registered

It will be a bit of a high lift to get over the engine bay but the space is quite reasonable if it is anything like the transporter van.

Posted : 28/01/2015 12:06 am
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)

If its any further use I got mine in the back of my Corsa with the rear seats folded.
It was a squeeze but went in.

Jon

Jon
BVWS Member

Posted : 28/01/2015 12:10 am
davyrocket2
(@davyrocket2)
Trusted Member Banned
Topic starter

the van in question is ,a Citroen ,C15 low at front single middle door at the rear ,I used to have a ,Peugeot 205 ,GRD ,but some nice person stole ,it .I have just bought another ,1990 ,GRD ,Peugeot,but the rear axle has seized on one side and needs replacing not difficult ,as it has 4bolts under the rear seats and its off similar to a ,swinging arm on a motorbike but larger ,if it had not failed the mot I could have used it to collect the Decca and done the repair when the weather gets better, whats the old saying swings and roundabouts ,still I only paid £90.00 ,for the car reguards David

Posted : 28/01/2015 1:41 am
mark pirate
(@mark-pirate)

You may struggle to get it in the Citroen, my camper is very similar with a single rear door. I had great difficulty fitting a TV in. In fact I removed the lock striker to get it in with only a couple of millimetres to spare
It may fit in the passenger seat if it can be reclined, I have done that in the past 

Posted : 29/01/2015 9:56 am
davyrocket2
(@davyrocket2)
Trusted Member Banned
Topic starter

I have just made arrangments to collect the decca from newton ,powys ,the seller is meeting me there and it is going to be train and trolley after all. the citroens door is far to small .I have made favorable prices the,Euston to newton return comes in at £30,25p,and westgate to ,st pancras ,£14.80p .I have checked out and found out the set was powered up with a variac but not to full power it had sound and tube heaters were lit but no sign of life except a blue flashing inside the ,PL509 , a replacement which has been sourced is going to be supplied with the set.I have done some research and it did look that the ,PL509 ,which is rated as 30w, could be upgraded to a PL519 which is rated 35w .the current owner of the decca used to work on televisions ,years ago and has a large collection.I consulted him and he said that they were told not to upgrade as the ,LOPT,would fail in approx 2 weeks ,he was also told about ,ITTCVC5s could be upgraded to ,a,PL919,and this was also not reccomended .I was told the original ,LOPTs were made by a company called ,Weyland and it was them that frowned upon this upgrade saying the ,LOPT,would possibly run too hot and fail.I wonder if any has heard these warnings reguards David

Posted : 29/01/2015 8:42 pm
malcscott
(@malcscott)
Prominent Member Registered

Weyrad loptx ? I have used PL519 in place of PL509 hundreds of times without any problems.

Posted : 29/01/2015 9:17 pm
Page 1 / 4
Share: