Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Derek Tyne: CTV's, do Any Survive? Also Incorporating the "Extinction" list

crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

In addition to collecting the Beovision TV,  I also picked up CTV spares and a whole raft of 70's Service data. Amongst this data was a very interesting manual for a Derek Tyne CTV, I was totally unaware of their existence. A little research revealed they were a small private operation, they appear to have copied/incorporated some of  the Mullard circuits. Their TV's even made it as far as Australia.

Has anyone actually ever seen one in the flesh? Has anyone actually got one in their collection? I would imagine they are an extinct breed by now.

DTad 3
DTad 1
DTad 2

Crusty's Collection: Read the repair blogs
Crustys Youtube Channel: If you want to follow me on Youtube, please consider subscribing
Vrat FaceBook: Follow us

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 07/08/2018 10:03 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Posted By Chris

I would imagine they are an extinct breed by now.

That got me thinking, as an aside to the main topic of Derek Tyne TV's, what other TV's have all but disappeared?

The Thorn 4000 for me being an obvious candidate for the extinction list.

Crusty's Collection: Read the repair blogs
Crustys Youtube Channel: If you want to follow me on Youtube, please consider subscribing
Vrat FaceBook: Follow us

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 07/08/2018 10:28 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

I have heard about the Tyne TV but never saw one or know anything about them.

The Ferranti 19 inch D/S CTV circa 1967-68 must be rare, most  CTV’s at that time were 25inch. The standard Pye D/S chassis in a much smaller cabinet, bit of a squeeze. We only sold one, and gave very few problems, only remember fixing  it once, LOPTX overwind, it didn’t burn up like the Bush CTV25, just stopped the line stage working.

I am sure this had a rotary 6 position VHF/UHF tuner to save space.

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/08/2018 12:10 pm
malcscott
(@malcscott)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

I serviced a few Tyne sets in the 70,s. They used a large toridial t/x. Performance was not that good, Malc.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/08/2018 4:48 pm