Featured
Latest
Did we once own a p...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Forum 141

Did we once own a pricelessly rare G6 - or do I possess an addled mind?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

During a recent visit from Marc, Glenys and David, we somehow ended up discussing Philips G6. I happened to mention a 26" G6 that we once owned (or did we?).

It was a single standard set with a rectangular screen (squared corners) and 'push through' (mask-less) presentation very much like the rare 22" model. To all intents and purposes, it had no real larger screen area than a 25" version, just that the square corners gave that extra inch of diagonal dimension.

The real question is, was there ever such a G6 in production, and if not, where did this set come from? - A prototype gone feral perhaps? Surely not a standard model that had had its cabinet very expertly 'jemmied' to take that squared CRT? - Certainly looked like a factory build to me.

I do recall it as being very modern and sleek looking in comparison to the standard 25" model, and being free from the large screen edge mask, it had a very clean faced appearance. I remember it being sold, or gifted, to my brother who kept it for a year or two before buying a brand new Hitachi - what became of the G6 would be anybody's guess.

Failing that, my noodles aren't working properly, and I'm leading myself along the garden path.

Posted : 23/04/2017 3:39 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

No you're not mad Marion, its up top, seventh photo down the 26" G26K513. Not a prototype and was production.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 23/04/2017 6:33 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Indeed it is!

Well I'm blowed, I thought maybe I was losing my glass spheres. I wonder how many were made......Hmm?

Also, and as it happens, that was exactly as I remember it, and the 'big barn doors' too - as I recall, they weren't quite so handy as the tambour doors, or the bi-folds on account of the fact you needed to leave an inordinately large space either side of the telly, or leave them permanently open.

But that is the one, Chris, thank you...thumb_gif

Posted : 23/04/2017 6:54 pm
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)
Honorable Member Registered

Katie_Bush said
To all intents and purposes, it had no real larger screen area than a 25" version, just that the square corners gave that extra inch of diagonal dimension. 

26" sets had less screen area than 25" sets as far as I could tell due to the different aspect ratio.

Classic TV Theme Tunes

Posted : 23/04/2017 10:43 pm
Share: