CTV Ferguson 51K5 ICC5 chassis.

5 Posts
4 Users
18 Likes
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

About time I introduced a new colour TV topic on the VRAT forum.

The set which is subject of this topic is my Ferguson 51K5 which was bought in 1988 and was taken out of service in 1994. It's been in storage since then upstairs above the shop.   A new home has been found for the set and it's all packed up ready for dispatch to it's new owner.   Before any attempt to apply power to set the main PCB had to be checked over for dry joints and suspicious looking components. Just as well the board was given a lookover because there was a good number of dry solder joints, particularly in the switched mode power section.   

51K5 1

Time to switch the set on. For the first time after twenty-seven years the set is displaying something on the screen, albeit a snow storm. After ten minutes or so the set went into a standby condition.  Realised the channel up button has to be depressed for >3seconds to return the set into operation.

51K5 Snow

Finally, a DVD player was connected to the SCART socket. The set displays a good quality picture. Slight issue with the SCART socket, dry solder joints and the contacts needed a squirt of switch cleaner. Used RS Components contact cleaner. Seems to have the same formulation as the Philips switch cleaner.

51K5 pic

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 04/12/2021 10:49 am
Red_to_Black, Lloyd, crustytv and 9 people reacted
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

For anyone interested, there's some useful servicing info on our main website for the ICCx Range. Specifically for the ICC5, these two come to mind:-

Servicing the ICC5

ICC5 stock Faults

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 04/12/2021 11:56 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

I think I must be the only TV engineer that actually liked the ICC5. Found the ICC7 not too bad either. ICC9 a bit strange though.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 04/12/2021 3:30 pm
Red_to_Black, colourmaster, Red_to_Black and 3 people reacted
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)
Prominent Member Banned

Posted by: @till

I think I must be the only TV engineer that actually liked the ICC5. Found the ICC7 not too bad either. ICC9 a bit strange though.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Not quite 😉 I thought they were a clever design, quirky in places but clever.

That chassis almost looks like new, nice to see one again 👍 

Posted : 06/12/2021 6:13 am
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account

Since taking delivery of my 59P7 supplied by another member I've become a big fan of the ICC5 - Though I was always intrigued by them as my favorite Chassis IKC2 is closely related to it. The 59P7 also had dry joints everywhere and probably has some that I've missed, I've ordered a few parts for it as there is a Slight E/W Fault with it though Ive come to realise this is one of the most common faults with ICC5 and should be easy enough to remedy.

The 51K5 was the set my parents had the year I was born until 1994 when it developed a frame fault and was replaced by a Philips Anubis set. I cant wait to own one of these again. 

I used to own an ICC9 set that (when it worked) produced one of the nicest pictures ive ever seen on a CRT but after running for a few hours it would always blank the picture and display flyback lines and then go into shutdown, once it was restarted it would work fine for another few hours before the fault would begin again. At the time I had very little knowledge of repairing them so evenutally the set ended up being scrapped. From what I've read they were a nightmare to fix so it was probably a good thing I waved goodbye to it. 

Posted : 06/12/2021 12:25 pm
Share: