Featured
Latest
Ferguson Colourstar...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Forum 141

Ferguson Colourstar 3703 very welcome addition !

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account
Topic starter

A recent arrival down here in Cornwall is a set I have been on the lookout for a while. A call from South Wales couldn't get us up the A30 quick enough. The set is a cracker, I believe she has done the circuit and to the best of my knowledge s the set on Mike Bennetts website. The colourstar badge is scratched and it shows in his picture (if anyone has a badge I would be pleased to hear.

The cabinet is first class apart from what looks like a slight bow in the top rear edge, upon close inspection the top reinforcing beam has cracked and its caused the corner to separate slightly. So out with the chassis and on with the G clamps and a sash cramp to pull the corner in. I have modified a bush a823 stand off off of a tv1122 that came up cheap (just the stand BTW) I didn't nick it off a good set. Plan is to paint with blackboard paint and then beeswax it. Tip I saw on the salvage hunter programme, ebonising a mirror. If anyone knows how high the original stand is that would be helpful. As shown on Chris's excellent main pages.

Set has had quite a lot of tidy repairs done and was basically a go-er but didn't bother setting her up if she is going to get pulled about. I believe the model year is 1970, the only evidence of date is in the form of the mains filter cap across the switch, this is 6949 so week 49 1969. The LTB is the single transistor one which probably the one it would of had by then - I am sure Chris will know - he has just taken delivery of a twin transistor one.

ferguson3703.jpg20161015_123107.jpg

Posted : 15/10/2016 1:18 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Hi,

Glad you finally found one as I know how much you wanted one. Its so nice when you finally fulfill a desire to get a long sought after set so well done and good on Neil for offering it to you.

I thought I recognised the photo from Mike's site.

The BRC 3000 was released in 1969 so regarding the LTB panel and your cap dates I firmly believe the 3703 would indeed have had the early twin transistor line timebase module. The twin module was still being released as late as Feb 1971, I think later that year or early 1972 the single transistor module made an appearance. I will have to confirm this with my BRC service bulletins. 

I fully intend to install the recently repaired twin LTB into my 3703 and was going to report that in my spookily timed thread.

Look forward to following you project as you work through the set thumb_gif

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 15/10/2016 1:42 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Stuart, out of interest what the chassis serial number? This will be on the plastic plate attached to the top right of the chassis, to the right of the LTB module.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 15/10/2016 1:57 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account
Topic starter

serial number 3792 and it looks like the original one as its a 3703 model on the plate.

Posted : 16/10/2016 2:43 pm
Share: