Ferguson TX100 22G2

36 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account
Topic starter

Has anyone worked on these set as ihave a few quearys not related to the technial side of things but to the cabinate.It has a compartment in the front lower panel trim that holds the remote controll as this was my Aunts i found that the push front stayed out presumable something on the back of the tray cliped into something when it was pushed in .There must be a spring that keeps pushing it back out.How do i get at it ,does the silver lower trim detache from the cabinate .
Also there is a scocket at the front for either ear phone or head phones.Which would help if i put a extension speaker next to my mum as shes hard of hearing.
1.What size jack would it be.
2,Would it mute the main speaker.

Posted : 28/07/2012 5:51 pm
Refugee
(@refugee)
Noble Member Registered

You need to look at the cover carefully and find out if it has or did have a little brittle "key" that goes onto a little hole when it is closed. The hole should have a catch in it that clicks to hold and clicks again to release. It will most likely be the same as the one on a top loading CD player and we all know how often they brake off or stop working.
The set should be fully isolated and the head phone socket should be easy to convert to an external speaker and i would expect it to have a switch on it. There should be little problem wiring it in the same way as the earphone socket on a battery radio.

Posted : 28/07/2012 6:14 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)
Prominent Member Banned

As Refugee has said above,

Plugging in headphones will disconnect the internal speaker, some versions of the TX100 had an external speaker socket at the back of the set with a rocker switch to switch between internal and external speakers.

Often we would get a call from a customer complaining of no sound, we would then proceed to tell them to check the switch, and you would suddenly hear the sound blasting out over the phone 8)) , as they had previously turned the volume up full! :=D

Posted : 28/07/2012 7:00 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

I can not see any marks left by a broken off key.The inside is smooth and is beveled at the open end.If i push the front in you can hear a click as though it is engaging into something but it dosent hold.As it is like a sleave the back peice may have the key on it but i can not see as its hidden..

Posted : 28/07/2012 10:09 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

Here is a pic of the remote draw.

Forum 143

Posted : 28/07/2012 11:05 pm
Terrykc
(@terrykc)
Member Rest in Peace

From the diagram it is obvious that the external feed has been slugged with 120Ω resistors to reduce the headphone volume to something approximating that from the internal speaker(s) - I note that this seems to be a stereo version, despite only one speaker being shown.

To connect an external speaker you would have to short out these resistors. The circuit shows two sockets: one mutes the internal speaker but the other does not - your choice!

From your photo, the socket looks like a 1/4" jack. It is stereo, you will need a 3 pole plug.

When all else fails, read the instructions

Posted : 29/07/2012 1:15 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

From the diagram it is obvious that the external feed has been slugged with 120Ω resistors to reduce the headphone volume to something approximating that from the internal speaker(s) - I note that this seems to be a stereo version, despite only one speaker being shown.

To connect an external speaker you would have to short out these resistors. The circuit shows two sockets: one mutes the internal speaker but the other does not - your choice!

From your photo, the socket looks like a 1/4" jack. It is stereo, you will need a 3 pole plug.

Hi.
What i did with the 51A3 was to attach a socket to the cabinet and connect it to where the set speaker connections are.As ive just swaped over the use of the 22G2 to enable me to look into the remote control draw problem i will probably do the same for an extension spearker at the same time as it seams easyer for me.
Regaurds the jack why would it be stereo on the 22G2 when there is only the normal one speaker?

Posted : 29/07/2012 1:47 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

hi david
its a stereo jack so that when you plug a set of headphones in you get sound from both sides.
i dont like the idea of attaching a speaker across the internal one even if you you use a switched socket
the chances of wireing to your extention shorting ect are too high .
why not use the audio from the scart socket to feed a small music system through its aux input?
or even some amplified pc speakers?
rob t

Posted : 29/07/2012 2:05 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)
Prominent Member Banned

Hi Rob,

Most TX100 sets did not have scart sockets, although one was available as an after market kit to be retro fitted by dealers.
Some sets had a propriety Din sockets fitted, marked as Disc and VHS IIRC, the VHS input on some models sent the VCR remote commands via the TV (I2C line) to the Ferguson VCR, if attached this way

Terry KC, the diagram above is from a 51/59/66 H3 series, unfortunately I only have scraps of diagrams available now, at one time I did have all of the various supplements to the different models, there was a huge number of variations of this chassis, and not all sets had the setup shown in the above diagram.

Some (not all) sets had just a HP jack, some later models had the HP and earphone sockets fitted, and some had the external speaker jack and rocker switch fitted, and various combinations of all of these on the different various models, and baseband stereo options too (not Nicam).
The point I was making was the HP socket, if fitted, always disconnected the internal speaker, the above series of models is one of the very last of the TX100 series, and may not match the OP's set, as I said there was a huge variation between the many different models.

This set up is just one that I happen to have to hand.

Posted : 29/07/2012 3:52 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)
Prominent Member Banned

I can not see any marks left by a broken off key.The inside is smooth and is beveled at the open end.If i push the front in you can hear a click as though it is engageing into something but it dosent hold.As it is like a sleave the back peice may have the key on it but i can not see as its hidden.

David.

Hi David,

IIRC the latching is achieved by a spring affair underneath the draw (turn the set on it's side to see this), the whole mechanism can be pushed out from inside the set, as it is only clipped in IIRC.
I could be wrong about this though, as it is many years since I last repaired any cabinets on your range of set.

One of the good things about Thorn sets, with the rental market in mind, was that they were put together with replacement items in mind from the start, you could strip and replace just about every item on the cabinets, they were built almost 'kit form' like.

Posted : 29/07/2012 4:05 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

It is difficult to see as its under the tube edge.Would i need to take the chassie out ?As i dont wont to disturb anything not being tech minded.

Posted : 30/07/2012 2:04 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)
Prominent Member Banned

It is difficult to see as its under the tube edge.Would i need to take the chassie out ?As i dont wont to disturb anything not being tech minded.

Sorry David,
I cannot really help you, as my memory is hazy now on these set's, it was at least the early 90's since we last sold any meaningful quantities of such set's.

I did refurb a large number of these at one time, we bought in tatty examples with good CRT's cheaply, and then bought tidy examples with flat tubes, also cheaply, but it was a long time ago (about 20 years ago now), One thing I do know is it wasn't rocket science, but it did help having more than one set and/or plenty of surplus cabinet parts. I kept anything and everything not broken, as when you were buying stock in largish quantities (as we were), you never knew which parts you would need from one week to the next.

To be fair, I honestly cannot remember now if the CRT needed to be removed to gain access or not, bear in mind I was replacing/swapping CRT's almost on a daily basis at the time, so this would not have been a problem then.

Not much help I know.

Posted : 30/07/2012 7:33 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

Was the 22G2 also badged up as a ultra.I seam to remember someone on a forum saying they had one.

David

Posted : 01/08/2012 1:18 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

The 22G2 used the TX100 chassis. The Ultra 2201 used the same chassis (TX100)

I have placed a document in the library called Modern Chassis & Models.pdf

This lists all manufacturers modern TV's & the chassis equivalent used

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 01/08/2012 10:54 am
Terrykc
(@terrykc)
Member Rest in Peace

Quite possibly.

Thorn acquired a number of trade marks over a period of time, so the same set, with varying cabinet styling*, would be sold under the Ferguson, HMV, Marconi and Ultra marques.

I think Thorn owned the Philco trademark too ...

* I set I recall had four control knobs (plus the tuner, of course) and they formed the major styling variant, being arranged in line vertically on one set, horizontally on another and in a square on yet another ...

I think a further variant was to put them on the side of the cabinet on one set and on the front of another.

When all else fails, read the instructions

Posted : 01/08/2012 10:57 am
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

I thought Philips bought Philco?

Posted : 01/08/2012 12:54 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

The HMV and Marconi brand names were licenced to Thorn from 1956 to 1977. Thorn did not in fact own the names.
The direct to dealer HMV products had to marketed to a higher standard (in terms of cabinet quality and presentation) than the Marconi branded products which were sold though wholesalers.
Thorn also acquired the Ultra trade mark in 1961. However I believe that the separate company Ultra Electronics is still in business and doing well. Teddy Rosen's Ultra company over expanded somewhat after building a brand new factory in Gosport. He also acquired the Pilot name in 1960 from it's American owners. (Please confirm this.) All of this resulted in Thorn acquiring a brand new state of the art television manufacturing facility. If you check the date code on the backs of TX10 and TX100 TV sets you will see a letter G for Gosport or E for Enfield.
Not sure about the Thorn's use of the Philco brand name. I do know that the Ford Motor Company acquired the Philco name in the late sixties. Products such as radio sets sold in the UK were marketed as "Philco-Ford".
The Ultra brand reappeared in 1987 on a low cost range of TV sets in an attempt to placate Ferguson dealers after Ferguson Limited supplied the Currys group with Logic branded TV sets.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 01/08/2012 2:29 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)
Prominent Member Banned

The Ultra brand reappeared in 1987 on a low cost range of TV sets in an attempt to placate Ferguson dealers after Ferguson Limited supplied the Currys group with Logic branded TV sets.

Hi David,

I can only remember two Ultra branded models from this era, a TX90 20 inch set and a TX100 22 inch model, U2001, U2002 ?. I think they were basically the same two models as the Logik branded two you referred to earlier, would this be about right ?

Posted : 01/08/2012 3:57 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

im sure there was also an ultra branded 8k5
rob t

Posted : 01/08/2012 4:05 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

I can only remember two Ultra branded models from this era, a TX90 20 inch set and a TX100 22 inch model, U2001, U2002 ?. I think they were basically the same two models as the Logik branded two you referred to earlier, would this be about right ?

That's the model numbers. I bought a lot of these receivers for the TV rental business. The sets employed the basic TX90 20" chassis(U2001) and the basic 22" TX100 chassis (U2201). I had the latter.
Of cource you'd guess I couldn't leave the basic receiver alone and later on all the U2201 sets were converted to remote control. As the basic non remote control receivers were becoming unmarketable it made good sense to up spec and modify the sets to remote control and in some models even teletext. The RC boards were sourced from Sendz Components and the front panels and the PC1190 infra-red receiver from the Ferguson service department.
The U2201 model was fitted with the excellent S4 type CRT, maybe not as good as the 30AX but still it displayed pretty good pictures.

Hi RobT, The Ultra brand 8K5 was the model 6713.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 01/08/2012 4:43 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: