GEC 2028. An easy fix?

14 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Yesterday, my GEC 2028 broke down. While it was on showing brilliant pictures there was a burning smell coming out the back, then the set stopped working.  A quick inspection reveals the fault, the insulation of the leads from the line transformer to the top caps of the timebase valves has broken down.   Sure, it's an easy enough fix, but I'm thinking while the back is off why not replace the line output transformer with the correct dual standard part? You'll recall that a single standard GEC 2040 LOPTx was fitted after failure of the original  transformer. Not so easy is the re-fitment of the system switch. 

Till Eulenspiegel.

DSC 0062 1

Posted : 12/03/2018 12:22 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Depends on how much time you have while trying to clear out the shop, though it would be nice to see it working on 405.

Frank

Posted : 12/03/2018 1:13 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

The way I look at is this, there are literally hundreds of TV22's that have survived, it always makes me laugh when I see e-bay adverts stating "Super rare Bush TV22". The same can be said more or less for many other manufactured B&W sets from the 50's and 60's, they crop up daily, weekly, monthly without fail on e-bay.

The same cannot be said for 'early' colour TV's, some are super rare now, others are in very small numbers and some are extinct. I rebuilt a Baird 8724 from an empty cabinet because it numbered certainly less than 10 possibly less than five. The GEC 2028 I would say falls into the category of those in small numbers. I've been looking for years to get one and they just never turn up.

With all that in mind and the fact the set is one owner from new, I would suggest if you have the parts and time to return it to manufacturers spec, I would do so. Early 1st gen colour are significant sets and as such should be treated the same as pre-war.

Just my thoughts.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 12/03/2018 2:04 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Chris wrote:     "Early 1st gen colour are significant sets and as such should be treated the same as pre-war".   Hi Chris,   too true, I reckon there are more HMV model 900 pre-war TVs still in existence than the GEC 2028.   My 2028 must be returned to it's original dual standard condition although as Frank states I still have that shop to clear out.    Anyway, there'll be a spare GEC single standard line output transformer up for grabs after the DS transformer has been fitted.

Till Eulenspiegel. 

Posted : 12/03/2018 3:18 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

I can imagine clearing the shop is like someone clearing their attic, you start, find something you had forgotten about and before you know the afternoon as gone. ? 

Frank

Posted : 12/03/2018 3:46 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

All my life I never saw a first generation colour set (except in books) until the start of the internet and eventually websites like this one. I had assumed, up to that point, all had long gone years ago. To actually obtain one (Baird M708) almost by fluke, was an event I never would have realistically expected. 

I am inclined now to agree with Chris.....it must be worth the effort to return the GEC to original.

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 12/03/2018 5:22 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

NEWS FLASH!   Yesterday I made a start on the GEC 2028, the objective being to return the set back to it's original dual-standard specification. It came as a surprise to discover in fact the line output transformer is the correct dual standard type so there is no necessity to replace it.  Assuming of course it was not damaged as a result of the short circuit.

Till Eulenspiegel.

GEC2030 trans

Posted : 19/03/2018 10:47 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Tough as old boots those LOPTX, be OK, he says.

Frank

Posted : 19/03/2018 2:22 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Prominent Member Registered

I had the same issue with my 2103 ... the lopt survived to scan another day  ? 

http://andydoz.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/1971-gec-colour-2103-tv-repairs-2040.html

Must get around to sorting the cabinet out, and sorting out it's few remaining niggles...

Posted : 19/03/2018 2:52 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

The cabinet should be quite forgiving Doz, I managed to tart up the Decca Bradford with some TLC as it was rather shabby to say the least.

Posted : 20/03/2018 7:58 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Prominent Member Registered

I think the phrase used somewhere was "it had turned to weetabix"

Posted : 21/03/2018 10:42 am
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Yep, it most certainly had. I was in fact surprised how an application of watered down PVA glue soaked in and strengthened it sufficiently enough for the wood filler to hold firm.

Posted : 21/03/2018 5:03 pm
Focus Diode
(@focus)
Honorable Member Registered

A common problem I understand. The later single standard version employed a cut out in the event of these problems. Seeing you switched the set off immediately I'd imagine the Lopt will be Ok.

I came across a similar problem with a universal tripler fitted in a CVC5 set. I don't know if it's a combination of heat and pulse voltages which cause the failing? I fitted extra insulation on the leads which seemed to help.

That's good news to discover the Lopt is the correct dual standard type and you have a spare!

I wonder if any of the system switch sliders exist somewhere, perhaps from a scrap chassis. Most unlikely sadly.

Posted : 22/03/2018 7:00 am
Mikey405
(@Mike Bennett)

Posted by: Focusdiode
I wonder if any of the system switch sliders exist somewhere, perhaps from a scrap chassis. Most unlikely sadly.

Oh, I'm sure one can be found.  ? 

Posted : 25/03/2018 7:21 pm
Share: