Featured
Latest
GEC C2_0_H - is the...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Forum 141

GEC C2_0_H - is there a designation/any free info out there on this chassis?

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
EmleyMoor
(@emleymoor)
Estimable Member Registered
Topic starter

Back in 1976, we rented a GEC C2201H from Spectra, shortly before they were taken over by Granada, and it lasted until 1982.

Years later, a member of staff at my university donated his C2002H to the hall of residence - it had one failed channel button (would retain channel 21 if switched to from another tuned to it, couldn't find a fix) and a broken aerial socket, which I fixed.

I am wondering if there is a designation, or any freely available info, for the chassis in these sets. Having witnessed two thirds of the repairs on our rented one, I would simply like to know a bit more about it, such as any stock faults.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

"Yes, a bit of wet string may get you a good TV signal here on four channels, but you'll have to dry it out to get Channel 5!"

Posted : 10/04/2019 7:27 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Hi, plenty of free-to-view information right here at Radios-TV/Vrat ? 

GEC Brochures here

Complete CTV stock faults section here

Specific GEC 2110 series CTV stock faults here

Quick link to images of the sets you;re querying are below (larger versions of the pictures available in the GEC brochure above). The 1975/76 chassis employed is electrically similar to the earlier (72/73) 2110 series but with a single decoder panel and a slightly modified power supply.

Hope that is of some help.

gec10

gec11

gec12

gec13

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 10/04/2019 7:31 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Chris,

I sold and rented these sets. The chassis is a development of the original C2110 series  introduced late 1972. The main difference is  the decoder board which was modified to accept the TCA800 IC in lieu of the TDA530 and TDA990.  Also, if my memory serves me well the RGB amplifiers employed complimentary transistors BF422 and BF423 instead of the BF337/BF258 type of video transistor.  

Till Eulenspiegel. 

Posted : 10/04/2019 8:50 pm
EmleyMoor
(@emleymoor)
Estimable Member Registered
Topic starter

They were certainly reasonable sets for their time, and the C2002H I handled was still displaying a picture of the correct height in 1993. Over its final two years, the C2201H lost a lot - one small adjustment was made but it was never properly fixed. A bright raster with flyback lines and the tuner locking out (cycling between 7, 8 and 4 on successive switch-ons) was the final symptom on which we had Granada supply us something new.

"Yes, a bit of wet string may get you a good TV signal here on four channels, but you'll have to dry it out to get Channel 5!"

Posted : 11/04/2019 8:02 am
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Prominent Member Registered

I keep looking for a C2110 ... they sometimes turn up with badly damaged cabinets. The plastic doesn't seem to have aged well.

It was our first colour set, on rental from Seaman's Television in Carshalton back in the early 70's. It was replaced after a few years by a 20" G11, which ran well into the late 80's.

Posted : 11/04/2019 11:04 am
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Prominent Member Registered

Relatives of mine had a 20" one of these and apart the Toshiba CRT going low after about 18 months it very reliable. It did have one strange foible with the touch tuner from new, certain members of the family were unable to persuade it to change channel on occasions. It was found that by pressing the touchpad whilst jumping with both feet off the floor allowed channel change to happen!

John.

Posted : 11/04/2019 9:01 pm
RichardFromMarple
(@richardfrommarple)
Reputable Member Registered

My parents had a 2121 from Granada where there the soft touch panel was replaced by conventional buttons.

I'm too young to remember it, but have a photo with it in the background.

Posted : 11/04/2019 10:30 pm
Horris
(@horris)
Trusted Member Registered

Referring to the comment by Doz regarding the the cabinet on C2110. I worked for Granada in the 70s & 80s and we had a lot of these out on rental. When they came into the workshop with fading problems on the cabinet ,we covered them in Fablon. We had one technician who could not get on with  Fablon .He would end up with it stuck to everything including the bench lamp,the bench,his arms and the tv screen but very rarely on the cabinet itself.

Dave

M0HBV
RSGB Member
BVWS Member

Posted : 12/04/2019 3:42 pm
Share: