Notifications
Clear all

Hmv Colourmaster 2700 Thorn 2000 chassis

Page 1 / 2

slidertogrid
(@slidertogrid)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

Hi old telly fans!
I picked the Hmv colourMaster 2700 today, this is the one recently mentioned in suppliers and sources.
It has been well looked after having had one owner since new. the cabinet needed nothing more than a wipe over with a damp cloth and a polish.
The seller had powered the set up and reported that it had displayed a snowy screen, so once home I connected a signal and switched on.
The sync is very weak with the picture rolling in both directions at normal settings but with the contrast fully advanced and careful adjustment of tuning and line hold it locks for a short time, long enough to prove that the tube is good, a flat tube was my main worry, it being a Mazda!
The picture stabilises for a few seconds at a time and then off it goes again, rolling and pulling.
The chassis has a nice coat of dust on the top panels and looks in good condition, It came from an old school house in Wellingborough where it had lived since new. it had been wrapped in blankets and stored in a cupboard for years , rediscovered by builders doing major renovations to the building.
In the first instance I plan to give it a gentle clean inside and take Chris's approach by repairing faults as they occur, trying to keep the set as original looking inside as possible.
Hopefully if I can get it to work reasonably well it will be allowed to be the dining room set... ttt:
I am really pleased with it, I can only imagine how excited the first owner must have been when it was delivered new in 1968!
I will report on progress once some has been made ( or cry for help !) hopefully soon.
I would like to upload some pictures but they are too big for the forum, being 1.17mb I can't work out how to get them small enough, if anyone can give me any advice on how to reduce them to a suitable size I would be very grateful , I am not that good with compooters I'm afraid...
:thumb Rich

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 07/12/2014 8:10 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

In the first instance I plan to give it a gentle clean inside and take Chris's approach by repairing faults as they occur, trying to keep the set as original looking inside as possible.
:thumb Rich

Nice one Rich and welcome to the 2K club :qq1 ,

Perhaps when you get a chance you might consider adding your sets info to my 2K data thread (link below). So far its drawn a big fat zero interest, despite many VRAT's owning one or even two examples. These are important sets and I think its worthwhile trying to establish at least within the community and maybe with the cooperation of UKVRRR just how many have survived.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9905

Regarding the photo's if you like why not e-mail them to me and I will sort them out for you and attach then to the post above.

Regards
Chris

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2014 8:34 pm
neil1974
(@neil1974)
Honorable V-Ratter Registered

I did have a Marconi 4702 version :bba but I sold it too parabola a while back. and I had a DER badged one which Gary has now.

Cheers
Neil.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2014 9:38 pm
slidertogrid
(@slidertogrid)

Many thanks for your help and patience , Chris. E mail sent.
I have always liked Thorn colour sets (sorry Mike) and have followed your threads on the various sets you have repaired, restored and in the case of the empty 3000 cabinet, rebuilt from scratch!
The firm I worked for in the late 70's would often buy out rental customers from other smaller companies, the engineers hated Thorn and Bush/ Murphy sets so all the 3500's and 823's were disposed of to the trade . I didn't complain as I got first pick of the "trade flog offs" .
It seemed odd to me that a perfectly good transistorised set would be flogged off and yet Pye Hybrids were rebuilt from the grave , often with a regun tube, new CDA board and sometimes even a new timebase panel if the print on the original had got too bad. I'm sure the spend was more than they were worth but decontrolled rentals were always in demand!
I plan to have a day on the 2000 as soon as I can, I can't wait!
cheers, Rich. :cca

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 07/12/2014 9:48 pm
slidertogrid
(@slidertogrid)

I did have a Marconi 4702 version :bba but I sold it too parabola a while back. and I had a DER badged one which Gary has now.

Cheers
Neil.

Still a few about then it seems... ttt: :aad
Rich.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 07/12/2014 9:50 pm
neil1974
(@neil1974)
Honorable V-Ratter Registered

Hello all. As Chris has started a log of all surviving 2000 chassis set's. does anyone think it would be a good idea to try and compile a list of all british manufacturers offerings over the years between the 40's/70's that survive now? or is it asking for trouble trying to gather the information which i suppose might be a never ending task (until the remaining set's are all found at least :aaj ).

Cheers
Neil.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2014 10:00 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

I think I will try to find the 19" version of the 2000 series, it's more compact and you still get the interesting 1960s transistor TV tech.
It's a bit like the Pye CT71, the really compact 19" version of the huge CT70.

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2014 10:54 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Hi David,

You obviously missed my 19" 2000 thread then here

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2014 11:00 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

Hi Chris,
I better wise up on the 2000 series again. It's the tripler substitution which is going to be problem. I never liked that idea of fitting it on the CRT bowl and just relying on the ct8 cavity connector. I did repair a number of 2000 series sets in the seventies including the 25 inch models. I did attempt to lift a 25" set few years ago. I forgot how heavy those sets are.

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2014 11:13 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Luckily the Tripler does not rely just on the CT8 claw, there is a bracket that is attached to the degauss shield, The tripler is secured with a wing nut so with this its actually quite stable. I do agree though it seems and odd arrangement, the later 3000/3500 got it right by being attached the rear of the chassis frame.

The 25" is a huge beast, however nothing compared to the G6. I don't know how I did it but I lifted my G25K502 onto the bench on my own, its remained there since though :ccf

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2014 11:23 pm
slidertogrid
(@slidertogrid)

I think the 19" 2000 series were not that common even when new. dual standard sets were coming to the end of their service life when I entered the trade in 1977 and being a keen 16 year old I was always prowling the disposal rack for a bargain. there was a handful of 25" sets disposed of on a weekly basis. mostly G6, Pye group, Thorn 2000 and GEC.
19" GECs and Pye's appeared from time to time, the very occasional 22" G6 but never saw a 19" 2000. The one Chris has in fact is the only one I have seen.
Maybe because most of the early customers (even renting) were relatively wealthy and had big rooms to accommodate them, I will be happy to be proved wrong and maybe a smaller set was more lightly to survive as a second set whereas the large cabinet models with doors were often stripped out and turned into cocktail cabinets etc
Even the disposal firms that advertised in Television magazine mainly mentioned 25" dual standards suggesting that 19" sets were thin on the ground.
I quickly realised that the larger sets were a better bet as they were usually less clapped out and the boards less cooked but I always took a chance on the 19" GECs because they sold a bit easier than the monsters! I avoided the Pye sets as the panels had always been swapped for very duff ones from later single standard sets. :bbeard
Only my experience of course, other dealers shops may have been different...
:aaq
Rich

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 07/12/2014 11:43 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

The 19" 2000 series models might have been created at the behest of the marketing men or the rental companies who'd be looking for a lower priced set to compete with the GEC 2028. Even Radio rentals bought in the 19" GEC and offered it on rental as the Baird 705.
Nevertheless, the 19" 2000 series sets were not cheap at £309. The GEC 2028 was a lot cheaper at £259. £50 was a lot of money in 1967, almost the price of a small mono TV set.
In 1967 the 25" 2000 sets were retailed for £359.

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/12/2014 12:20 am
slidertogrid
(@slidertogrid)

Wow! No wonder people rented them!
To put this into perspective the retail price of a 25" 2000 equates to £5834 in today's money! £50 saving would be the same as £812 cheaper today. Searching a Mini website I found this...
Production of Morris Minivan
Details: Specification as with Austin Se7en Van. Austin Minivan produced from 1962 to 1969 with different badges to Morris Minivan. Larger engine option available from 1967.
Engine size: 848cc / 998cc (from 1967)
Original price: £360
So you paid the same for a colour set as a van, and in the case of Peterborough, only had a few programmes on BBC2 in colour, I think we had to wait until around 1971 for colour to arrive on all three channels.
By which time your expensive colour set was 4 years old.
I bet the tip wouldn't be full of flat panel tellys if they had cost nearly £6K new!
Rich

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/12/2014 10:30 am
slidertogrid
(@slidertogrid)

Hi 2000 fans! I have downloaded a picture resize program so hopefully here is a couple more pictures, one of the insides and one of the lost sync. this is a test to see if the resize program works!
Regards, Rich.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 14/12/2014 4:53 pm
slidertogrid
(@slidertogrid)

:bba

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 14/12/2014 4:56 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Hi Rich,

At least you can upload pictures which is better than nothing. However its the usual mistake, picture is too small, shrunk in dimension to reduce file size. You should be aiming to upload a good size (dimension) photo at least 1024x768 and still remain within the 120K file size limit. Still as I say its better than not being able to upload at all. I would however suggest you play around to get a better dimension.

For example here is a prime example I uploaded today in my 2000 tripler thread . The image is 1280x1024 and the file size is 119K. As you can see the image fills the screen whereas yours is really not much bigger than the thumbnail.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/12/2014 5:25 pm
slidertogrid
(@slidertogrid)

Hi Chris I will do as you suggest and play around with the settings , I first selected small on the resize program and it still wouldn't load as it still came back as image too large. I then tried mobile size and it worked.
I will persevere...
Rich.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 14/12/2014 7:15 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

I don't know your package but save for web usually gives you good size options and the ability to set image quality/size.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/12/2014 7:38 pm
Tazman1966
(@tazman1966)

Hi Rich.

I use Picassa to re-size photos for this forum and usually keep them at full size but reduce the image quality to 50% and that normally works for me.

Tas

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/12/2014 8:19 pm
slidertogrid
(@slidertogrid)

Just a quick update on the set. I had a couple of hours today and decided to investigate the poor sync fault. I removed the IF panel and replaced two Callun capacitors, a small blue Philips type that had bulged it's end cap and one more that tested leaky. There are two small red plastic blob type electrolytics probably infamous "tants" which I have left for now as they tested ok and I haven't got any suitable replacements at the moment.
The panel was quite difficult to get out of the edge connector as someone had soldered the print on the edge of the panel that pushes into the connector, so it looks as if this panel has been trouble in the past.
I didn't hold a lot of hope that there would be any improvement when I refitted the panel but was surprised on switching back on that a stable picture appeared! :bba
It still needs a fair bit of work, the purity is slightly out one side, the convergence isn't brilliant and the greyscale is either too pink or too blue depending on the setting of the tint control.
The colour is slightly noisy and the EHT regulation is poor as the picture size varies with brightness and finally there is low height and some bowing of verticals....
So plenty to keep me busy another day!
Next job is to give the set a good dust out, then I will work my way around it one panel at a time.
Hopefully it won't have to wait two months before the next session!
:thumb
Rich

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 20/02/2015 7:17 pm
Page 1 / 2