Featured
Latest
It fell off the ben...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Forum 141

It fell off the bench - and DIDN'T bounce...!

17 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Forum 142
(@Anonymous)

My favourite mini-TV is the Panasonic CT-101 (late 1980s) A real 38mm PIL shadow mask CRT! Very handy around the workbench.

Until you knock it to the floor...

DSCN6708.JPGDSCN6709.JPG

DSCN6706.JPGDSCN6707.JPG

It still works, but that polystyrene case took a beating! I've saved the bits, I'll have a go at gluing them back together.

DSCN6710-1.JPG

It was an accident, but I feel really sad.

Posted : 08/05/2017 8:34 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

nuts_gifOh xxxxxxxx

Frank

Posted : 08/05/2017 8:45 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

It happens to the best of us, but why is always something breakable and never the rubber mallet ? nuts_gif

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 08/05/2017 8:52 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Oh no, sorry to learn of this.....hopefully one may turn up on ebay?

I dropped a new original GEC KT66 last year and believe me, they are hardly inexpensive  waa_gif

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 08/05/2017 9:18 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)
Prominent Member Registered

Oh no cry

I hate it when that sort of thing happens! Lucky the tube survived. I had a clock with a VFD display that I salvaged from our old oven about 12 years ago, I knocked that off the bench a couple of years ago and the evacuation pip broke on the back of the display, I was rather upset about that! I still haven't found a suitable replacement display, all the ones I can find easily are too small, or have the wrong symbols on them.

Having repaired a fair few smashed up bakelite cabinets, and a smashed Ansonia slate clock, I will say that the first thing you'll need is a good solid flat surface to work on, I have a marble chopping board for this! Try assembling the parts dry to start with to make sure they fit together snugly. Possibly stick them together with insulation tape on the outside of the case, then use some of the really runny superglue from inside the case. That should hopefully stop glue getting on the outside of the case, and also save you having to re-paint it.

Regards,

Lloyd

Posted : 08/05/2017 9:22 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

DSCN6709.JPGStill, that's one way to get to the presets  doh_gif 

Posted : 08/05/2017 9:31 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)

Certainly easier access that that of the Sony KV1330ub that I was playing with the other week!

Posted : 08/05/2017 9:35 pm
PaulGoggo1
(@paulgoggo1)
Estimable Member Registered

Sorry to hear that! its a terrible feeling!

I remember many years ago I took a customer a Telefunken 26" in a lovely white cabinet (711A Chassis).

She told me to place it on the sofa while I went for the stand. She had left the room for a minute and due to the weight of the set it compressed the sofa squab slowly, overbalanced, and crashed to the floor, screen first! Tube ok, but cabinet badly damaged beyond repair. Shame as it was an excellent picture!

Paul

Posted : 08/05/2017 9:53 pm
Forum 142
(@Anonymous)

PYE625 said
Oh no, sorry to learn of this.....hopefully one may turn up on ebay?

Well, they do turn up, and at ridiculous prices..

If I can't repair the case, at least to be whole and hopefully cosmetically pleasing, I'm thinking of a clear acrylic (perspex) display case. The electronics still work. Also, I was hoping to find a cosmetically pleasing CRT from one of these as a separate display item. Had the electronics in this accident not survived the fall I'd have a nice CRT trophy. 

I dropped a new original GEC KT66 last year and believe me, they are hardly inexpensive 

That would have me in tears, too. Funny thing about glass bottles, here one moment, gone the next. Hope you've recovered and perhaps got a grip on the next one! I absolutely hate handling my "serious glass" collection.

Posted : 08/05/2017 9:59 pm
Forum 142
(@Anonymous)

PaulGoggo1 said
Sorry to hear that! its a terrible feeling!

Words failed me... However, it was an accident and no one was hurt.

I remember many years ago I took a customer a Telefunken 26" in a lovely white cabinet (711A Chassis).

She told me to place it on the sofa while I went for the stand. She had left the room for a minute and due to the weight of the set it compressed the sofa squab slowly, overbalanced, and crashed to the floor, screen first! Tube ok, but cabinet badly damaged beyond repair. Shame as it was an excellent picture!

Wow, what an unfortunate accident. Great "war story", though. When I worked at EMI in Hayes there were ribbed cast metal radiators in some of the 1920s vintage industrial buildings. We were told to hold the CRTs with both hands, neck up, look ahead, etc.

Well, someone wandered down the corridor swinging the CRT by its neck.... you know what happened!

Posted : 08/05/2017 10:05 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

I lost a nice Mullard ECC82 whilst working on a set. I left it on the floor, for a moment left the room, and it was gone upon my return.

My naughty black labrador had carried it off to her bed, chewed the pip off, and bent the pins. Lucky she never cut her mouth though.

Posted : 08/05/2017 10:06 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

FordAnglia said                                                                                                                                                               Well, someone wandered down the corridor swinging the CRT by its neck.... you know what happened!  

Bloody 'eck     doh_gif

Posted : 08/05/2017 10:08 pm
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)
Member Rest in Peace

I was working in my workshop about 18 months ago when a dreadful thing happened! I had an EMI 3/4 CRT (to go with one of the 3 HMV 1804 chassis that I have) parked, in its mask, screen down, when I knocked a reamer which I wanted to use, off a shelf. I heard a clump and a hiss and I was one 3/4 CRT down. The reamer had landed right in the middle of the valve-base and cleanly knocked of the end of the evacuation pip. It could not have been a more accurate landing (except perhaps, on the moon) to destroy the tube. It may have survived a bash on the envelope but certainly not one on the evacuation pip!"

Ah well - Life is Life!doh_gifdoh_gif

Forum Memorial

Posted : 08/05/2017 10:25 pm
Forum 142
(@Anonymous)

Brian Cuff said
The reamer had landed right in the middle of the valve-base and cleanly knocked of the end of the evacuation pip. It could not have been a more accurate landing (except perhaps, on the moon) to destroy the tube. It may have survived a bash on the envelope but certainly not one on the evacuation pip!"

What an unlucky 'break'...

My dad liked fluorescent lights, and put them in most public rooms at home. From time to time we'd have one flicker and die, and he was very careful to bust up the old tube in the dustbin. This was long before the "Nanny State" - break a CFL or Fluorescent tube around here and a Hazmat team will come over for the clean up!

One day we had a tube ready and standing in the dustbin, my kid brother tossed a smallish rock from the garden, over his head, backwards, and smashed that tube! A hole-in-one true story. 

Posted : 08/05/2017 10:36 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)

Oh no, Brian! Actually lucky it didn't bounce off the bowl of the tube, it might have made it go bang and bits go everywhere! It reminds me how lucky I was when I was stripping and cleaning a 9" Hitachi black and white set, I'd left the tube face down on my swivel chair, and for some reason balanced the rear cover of the set on the back of the chair. Of course the rear cover got knocked off and fell straight onto the base of the CRT, squashed all the pins, but didn't break the evacuation pip! I carefully sat straightening the base pins, and a piece of glass flew off, and I thought that it would be the end of it, but it survived!

My neighbours TV, however didn't survive being dropped!

smashed-telly.jpg

Sorry about the quality, it's taken from a video! Funny thing was, the set looked fine from the front! I had plugged it in and tried to switch it on, all it did was hiss at me and shut down...

Regards,

Lloyd.

Posted : 08/05/2017 11:59 pm
Forum 142
(@Anonymous)

Lloyd said
My neighbours TV, however didn't survive being dropped!

Clinton Electronics was a CRT builder in Loves Park/Rockford, Illinois, where the winter winds are harsh. If the side door near the exhaust ovens was opened by mistake the sudden icy blast would crack one (or more) CRTs cooling off on the overhead conveyor carriers. The resulting implosions would then trigger the next tube to burst, and so on.

I didn't see this happen while I worked there, but the story goes that to stop a chain reaction and not loose even more tubes, someone had to get in front of the destructive wave and deliberately whack off the neck of a good tube with a mallet!!

A CRT plant is a "Class A" Dangerous Workplace!!

Posted : 09/05/2017 12:19 am
Forum 142
(@Anonymous)

PYE625 said
DSCN6709.JPGStill, that's one way to get to the presets

In this design the 'presets' that you accurately noticed are user controls. There's a little plastic knob for each one that can be twiddled from the side panel. 

Posted : 09/05/2017 12:22 am
Share: