5 Posts
4 Users
9 Likes
colourmaster
(@colourmaster)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi everyone

I obtained this 22" ITT colour set from Mike Bennett's get together last year. It is fitted with the CVC32 series chassis that drives the 20 AX tube. Chris kindly donated a switch mode control board for it so I thought I'd start on the restoration .

On checking it out it was found that the mains switch had been shorted out. The switch was a weakness on them. When I powered it up it started up then there was a crack followed by tripping. On investigation the green 8n2 flyback tuning cap had burst. This lead to the line output transistor, BU208 going short circuit.

I've run out of BU208's so have ordered some. I think I have a mains switch in stock so that will be fitted too. This set is the ITT Aristocrat model. Once the parts arrive I'll update you on my progress.

Regards

Gary

Img1
Img2
Img3
Img4
Img5
Img6
Img7
Img8

Posted : 02/09/2018 5:11 pm
Mikey66, Marc, Red_to_Black and 6 people reacted
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

We sold these, worked well and gave me little trouble, so little that I forgotten that it uses plug in boards.

Frank

Posted : 02/09/2018 5:40 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Just like the old days of Saturday morning "Kids" cinema, we're all left wondering how this "cliff-hanger" played out the following week.......

Did our intrepid TV engineer snatch victory from the jaws of defeat? Did the dastardly villain of the piece "sods-law", throw another fault in to the mix to stop him in his noble endeavours? Or was there a big flash of smoke as "TV Man's" set meets its final demise... KA-POW!!  ? 

The edge of my seat can only take so much.....

?

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 09/09/2018 9:24 am
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Prominent Member Registered

That green tuning capacitor has a guilty look about it to me. A BU508A is an excellent replacement for a BU208. Although in a different package just cut off the collector leg and bend the base and emitter 90 degrees, one way it will line up perfectly with the holes in the mica and heatsink. If the BU208 is the original thick base then cut back one of the shoulders of the insulating bush. 

John.

Posted : 09/09/2018 11:38 am
colourmaster
(@colourmaster)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi Everyone 

The next installment will be as soon as the 8n2 tuning cap arrives so stay tuned. ?

Posted : 09/09/2018 1:13 pm
Share: