17 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi all,

My neighbour has asked me to have a look a small screen lcd TV. Its a JVC LT-22DD3J about 2 years old.
At power up, sound works OK and the on screen display pops up for about a second then goes off leaving just the sound.
If a light/torch is pointed at the screen you can see the picture, so I guess its a backlight issue??
Does anyone has any info on this set or this fault?

Best regards
Jon

Jon
BVWS Member

Posted : 20/08/2014 9:41 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Prominent Member Registered

That's definitely a backlight issue. The backlight could be CCFLS (cold-cathode fluorescent lamps) or the more modern LED type, I rather suspect the former. I'm unable to find any pictures of the set but have found one of the RCU and it appears to be manufactured by Vestel in Turkey.

The usual cause is failure of one or more lamps (suspect two used in a 22" screen) usually given away by a pink tinge to the display before it cuts off but at 2 years old it is a little early for lamp failure. If it is a Vestel my first check would be the two dual N & P-Channel PowerTrench MOSFETs, these are surface mounted on the rear of the PSU looking like 8 pin ics , you will probably find one is cooked. The PSU is probably a 17IPS01 or 02 and the MOSFETS type FDS8962C, both are usually available on ebay.

John

John.

Posted : 20/08/2014 10:47 pm
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)
Topic starter

Thank for the info John :thumb
I will go and get the set and take a look inside tonight.
Will report back what I find.

Best regards
Jon

Jon
BVWS Member

Posted : 21/08/2014 12:30 pm
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)
Topic starter

Finally got the set from my neighbour tonight.
Removed the back cover and could instantly see the trouble!!

Now is this burn up likely to of been caused by a faulty PSU or the lamps themselves?
Are these PSU's available to buy from anywhere? Looks like a IPS17-4 PSU

Jon

Jon
BVWS Member

Posted : 28/08/2014 11:03 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)
Prominent Member Banned

Last time I had anything to do with this particular set there was very little available for it :aai , although that may have changed now though.

Although badged as JVC I believe they were OEM Vestal (as per usual), the problem was as I recall these were custom made for Comet, who (Comet) also bought out the warranty so they could buy them and sell the sets cheaper, and Comet themselves would look after the warranty and service agreements.
IOW they were "Comet specials", Comet also did this with some Hitachi badged Vestal LCD sets too, ie. these models do not show as 'official' JVC or Hitachi models as the case may be.

Consequently JVC UK had no spares nor service info themselves as they had no part of the deal with Comet, of course when Comet went belly up consumer were left with no support whatsoever, at the time JVC UK were trying to be helpful and to look after the 'brand name'.

Vestal themselves were unable to help as Comet owned the rights and were in a similar position to JVC UK.
That was the state of play at the time and things may have moved on since then, but as I gave up consumer repairs since then I have since lost track.

Also while 'nominally' Vestal, and with similar part/board numbers, be aware there are huge variations and customisations in both hardware and soft/firmware among the different brands and variations.

Comet was entirely to blame for this confusing situation :-o all in the name of greater profits and sod the consumer.

Edit: if I am confusing this particular set with the very similar Comet version, then my apologies, it was a few years ago and the model numbers are very similar, I do have access to Vestal chassis type circuits and some PSU diagrams although maybe not the exact JVC model version.

Posted : 28/08/2014 11:24 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

It'll actually be worth a look on eBay - a lot of sets get broken for parts and end up on there.

Posted : 28/08/2014 11:24 pm
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)
Topic starter

I thought that might be the case R to B. I got out of the trade before flat panel sets, but this sort of thing was happening then too :bbd

Cathovisor, I cant see all the PSU number(as its burnt up) but there are some used 17IPS17-4's on ebay listed for Toshiba, Digihome, Hitachi and Vestel, but nothing for JVC, but they all look the same as mine.

Jon

Jon
BVWS Member

Posted : 28/08/2014 11:45 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Prominent Member Registered

Obviously been some arcing/tracking going on or breakdown of one of the caps on the HV output of the inveter transformer and for quite some time, I wouldn't attempt any repair on a board as bad as that. Replacing the PSU will probably solve this it but as R2B says there can be many variations of the same board.

It is a 17IPS17-4, take a look at the barcode label on the board and check the middle 8 digit number on it. If you can find a matching one then it's plug and play.

Bear in mind also that the DVD lasers pick ups on these things tended to expire soon after the warranty ran out.

John

John.

Posted : 28/08/2014 11:55 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)
Prominent Member Banned

Clean the soot off first to see how bad it actually is, I agree with jayceebee if it is too badly damaged then I wouldn't attempt a repair for a customer (only if it was my own).

I have a circuit diagram for the 17-IPS, not sure of the version though, but in my experience so long as you obtain the correct version, ie. -4 then they should fit.

Vestal sometimes replaced the cable/plugs between the different versions (different number and/or order of pins and connections etc.), and sometimes a different version of the same PSU (17IPS -X) was for larger screen sizes.
Confusingly Vestal sometimes made a different PSU number as a compatible replacement altogether eg. 17 PW20-X may fit in place of a 17 PW19-X (that is just as an example, not literal btw) but unless you have a chart or matrix or other information to say what will fit what then generally the exact version will always fit, in your case a 17IPS17-4.

Posted : 29/08/2014 12:32 am
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)
Topic starter

I would'nt repair or even bother trying to repair this PSU. The brun is far worse than it looks. I would'nt be at all surprised if the board is now conductive!
As it's not my set I will see what my neighbour wants to do. For £15 I could try a supply from ebay, but with no guarantee it will work or last.
I think if it was my set I would give a S/H PSU a try.
Thanks for all your help and advice with this set. :aad

Jon

Jon
BVWS Member

Posted : 29/08/2014 12:48 am
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)
Prominent Member Banned

They can be had brand new from about £30 +Vat :qq1

The -2 version seems to be for 19" screens and the -4 for 22" sizes.

As an example see CHS here: http://www.chsinteractive.co.uk/search. ... ry=17ips17

Now CHS is not the cheapest either, you could try ohms supplies and others, the trouble with S/H panels for this type of PSU I found was that I had to do mass Cap replacements anyway, you could be buying other peoples troubles, when a new price is not *that expensive*, mind you look at the price on that link of some of the branded ones :ccf

Posted : 29/08/2014 1:00 am
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)
Topic starter

Cheers for the link R to B, This one has the same code as mine.
http://www.chsinteractive.co.uk/electri ... vestel.htm

You are right of course, probably asking for trouble using S/H

Jon

Jon
BVWS Member

Posted : 29/08/2014 1:08 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

The fact that you can buy the PSU new for thirty quid makes it a no-brainer - buy new, no trouble that way.

Posted : 29/08/2014 6:59 am
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)
Topic starter

Yes definitely,
The S/H route was only going to be a try it and see, as none of the ebay ones were the exact type number and I was unaware of new ones being available until R to B posted the link to CHS.

Best regards
Jon

Jon
BVWS Member

Posted : 29/08/2014 10:34 am
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)
Topic starter

Apart from removing the rear cover and the PSU, everything is exactly as it was before (all cables dressing and clips etc.). Unless there is some hidden security somewhere, you wouldn't know I've been inside.
I will pass on the info to him and see what he wants to do.

Cheers
Jon

Jon
BVWS Member

Posted : 29/08/2014 11:52 am
hamid_1
(@hamid_1)
Reputable Member Registered

If this TV was sold by Comet, as suggested earlier, then it may be practically impossible to get a refund since Comet have gone bankrupt.

At least it can be repaired by replacing the power supply board for £30, which is still a lot cheaper than buying a new TV.

Posted : 30/08/2014 1:19 am
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed Member Moderator

If this TV was sold by Comet, as suggested earlier, then it may be practically impossible to get a refund since Comet have gone bankrupt.

It might be worth contacting JVC though. When I was at Philips, there was a policy in place whereby if a retailer went bankrupt and a Philips product was involved, Philips would 'pick up the tab' for repair to protect the brand name. I worked for JVC very briefly and they had a similar policy in place (mid 90's) although they used to dig their heels in a bit and it depended on how old the product was and what it was. Sometimes they would meet the repair halfway (parts) on an older product. Generally though they would satisfy the customer if pushed....

Posted : 30/08/2014 9:53 am
Share: