Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Keracolor tv's

The_Teleman
(@the_teleman)
Active V-Ratter Registered

A couple of "odd balls" turned up today in the guise of  2 keracolor TV sets , these are a bit off track for me as I usually only collect PYE sets but these iconic sets are to much of a tempting challenge

The first one is the usual 26 inch type fitted with the Mullard A67-120x CRT sadly the chassis (Decca Bradford) has seen better days but all is not lost as I have a spare chassis that can be called on if needed , the cabinet is constructed out of fibreglass resin.

The second is the much smaller & rarer 20 inch model fitted with a Toshiba CRT , the chassis in this set looks clean & free from rust compared to its big brother , just a nice layer of undisturbed dust . The cabinet on this set looks to be moulded from plastic rather than the usual fibreglass as in the bigger set .

again it could be some time till I get round to attempting any repairs as the new workshop is an ongoing project that seems never ending but it will all be worth it in the end .image.jpegimage-1.jpegimage-2.jpegimage-3.jpegimage-4.jpegimage-5.jpegimage-6.jpeg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/10/2017 1:44 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

Does the 20 inch use the Bradford chassis?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/10/2017 2:09 pm
The_Teleman
(@the_teleman)

Hi Frank ,

yes the 20 inch set uses the Bradford chassis too photo 3 shows the rear of the 20 inch set note the little corners on the case to accommodate the chassis

Chris

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/10/2017 3:54 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

Yes I see them, I would not have noticed if you had not said, show how observant I am. doh_gif

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/10/2017 6:36 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

Mine's an early 25" set, with  rimband tube, and 10 series chassis. The glass fibre ball is one-piece, unlike the later ones with a seam. Haven't seen a 20" for years!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/10/2017 7:03 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

"I always thought these spherical TVs looked ridiculous, however just my opinion."

Hi Jimi,  I always though that.   Back in the seventies I was asked to repair a Keracolor.  After removing the back the chassis almost fell out, the chassis attachment points had broken away from the glass fiber case, you can't call it a cabinet.   Utter pretentious junk!   Excellent Bradford chassis housed in a hideous contraption.

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/11/2017 3:57 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Posted by: Till Eulenspiegel

glass fiber case, you can't call it a cabinet.   Utter pretentious junk!   Excellent Bradford chassis housed in a hideous contraption.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Pistols at dawn sir!

I guess that means you will really hate my iconic Aphelion,  squished spherical, rugby ball set with the superb Telefunken 712 chassis.  https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/1977-telefunken-palcolor/

Coming from a man who likes MasterRadio (cough) TV sets, I thought you would appreciate "odd-ball" sets. Ooooh! that's such an awful opportunistic pun 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/11/2017 4:05 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Posted by: Chris

glass fiber case, you can't call it a cabinet.   Utter pretentious junk!   Excellent Bradford chassis housed in a hideous contraption.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Pistols at dawn sir!

I guess that means you will really hate my iconic Aphelion,  squished spherical, rugby ball set with the superb Telefunken 712 chassis.  https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/1977-telefunken-palcolor/

Coming from a man who likes MasterRadio (cough) TV sets, I thought you would appreciate "odd-ball" sets. Ooooh! that's such an awful opportunistic pun 🙂

IMHO, I much prefer the Aphelion, as it looks better styled and less like pop-art gone potty.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/11/2017 4:50 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Posted by: JMI

I'll always remember I was asked to repair one of these. When I attempted to remove the back somehow it was not attached to it's base, it rolled across the customer's living room floor, much to the amusement of the trainee I had with me, although not the customer's.

Now that would have been funny to see. I've heard of a rolling frame, but not an actual set !

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/11/2017 4:54 pm
The_Teleman
(@the_teleman)

I must agree with Till these sets are hideous especially the 26 inch set its so large you just don't know what to do with it

the 20 inch set on the other hand is small enough to cope with on your own although the plastic case leaves a lot to be desired

as for the Aphelion in my opinion is far superior in every way

Chris

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 24/11/2017 5:07 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

We knew about the Keracolour sets in the 70’s and discussed could we sell them to our customer base. We decided it was very unlikely so did not stock them, perhaps we missed a sale or two but on the whole from a commercial point of view, I think we took the correct decision for our circumstances.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/11/2017 5:40 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

Hi Chris, rest assured I do like the Amplion,because at least there was genuine attempt at creating something special.     But for some really special presenting the much maligned Masteradio. It's on every TV collectors wish list.

Till Eulenspiegel.

MasteradioTV

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/11/2017 6:36 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)

But for some really special presenting the much maligned Masteradio.

It's on every TV collectors wish list.

Till Eulenspiegel.

I hate to admit it but I would quite like a Masteradio TV in my own collection, I actually like the look of that strange little set.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/11/2017 7:08 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Illustrious V-Ratter Moderator

Good heavens, that et reminds me of a frilled lizard!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/11/2017 10:48 pm