Left channel audio missing

9 Posts
6 Users
12 Likes
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Simple enough fault but a pain. Settled down tonight to watch a DVD, Sleeping Beauty ballet Royal Opera House collection.
Didn’t have to do any dismantling, checked  external items before taking things apart. Bad connection on the SCART plug and socket, reseated a couple of times and fixed.

Now enjoying the second act.

TV is a 15 year Old Sony LCD 32 inch screen and a similar aged Sony DVD.
Not everyone’s cup of tea to watch but wouldn’t do for us all to be the same.

May give it a clean with contact cleaner tomorrow, or then again maybe not.

Frank

Posted : 13/06/2020 7:11 pm
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed Member Moderator

Nothing wrong with watching ballet if you like it. It's never been my cup of tea to watch but the music is OK.

Posted : 13/06/2020 7:34 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @nuvistor

TV is a 15 year Old Sony LCD 32 inch screen and a similar aged Sony DVD.
Not everyone’s cup of tea to watch but wouldn’t do for us all to be the same.

Better than a kick p the Khyber! - Until last Christmas, I was watching an ageing Sanyo 32" LCD (Vestel) that didn't even have DVB-T capability, but did have one HDMI port, and did support HDTV to 1080i. It gave as good a picture as I have ever seen on an LCD.

Or did you mean the ballet? - ??

Posted : 14/06/2020 6:11 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Posted by: @katie-bush

Or did you mean the ballet? - ??

Hi Marion,

Yes both the TV and the ballet. The  DVD is NTSC 4:3 aspect ratio but the colour is excellent which I know NTSC can provide if everything is done correctly. 

It’s Swan Lake tonight , so will settle down to that.

Main reason for posting was to inform those who visit and have little experience to look for simplest and easiest explanation first before delving in and taking things apart.

Frank

Posted : 14/06/2020 6:54 pm
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)
Honorable Member Registered

Back when I was doing laserdisc demonstrations in TV showrooms I noticed this 'dance' the salesmen would occasionally do. They'd walk around the back of the TVs on display and whack each Scart plug in turn 'just in case' one of them had worked loose on one side which was a frequent occurrence.

Classic TV Theme Tunes

Posted : 14/06/2020 7:22 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Frank,

We all have our different tastes. So far, since lockdown began, I've waded through the entire 1960's Batman series (a full 120 episodes!), every one of the remaining Steptoe & Son series, Gerry Anderson's Stingray, Captain Scarlet, and UFO TV series, Every episode of the BBC series of Colditz. I'm just about to finish off the Rising Damp series tonight, or tomorrow, and then moving on to Auf Weidersehen Pet.

I'm not sure where I'm going after that, but I have well over 1000 films on DVD, and countless TV boxed sets, e.g. Benny Hill, Morecambe & Wise, On The Buses, The Two Ronnies, The Ronnie Barker Collection, Only Fools & Horses (the definitive boxed set), The Sweeney, Columbo and all of the remaining Laurel & Hardy films, just to name a few!

The telly has moved on - I'm on a Samsung right now, but before that, it was a dreadful offering with the Goodmans brand name on it. The DVD player (recorder/player) is my faithful Sony RDR-HX525 - No Freeview, no HDMI, but can still give a good account of itself even now.

On the subject of SCART - I was only this morning pondering on how long it's been the standard connector on UK/European sets - 30/35 years? It's served us well, and although I've heard a few gripes here and there, I've always found it quite reliable (and you can rewire the plug if pups chew the cable! - Can't do that with HDMI!!).

I think the worst I've ever had to do with a SCART, was to pinch up the clevises in a Scart socket that fell foul of a three year old's inquisitive exploits beneath a family member's telly.

The annoying ones are those sets where the SCART(s) are hidden on a horizontal plane such that the weight of the cable is constantly trying to pull out the plug, and/or the kittens/pups like to play behind the telly and yank the cables out.

Posted : 14/06/2020 7:24 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

@katie-bush

SCART has been around since the late 70s Marion (according to Wikipedia) but that was in France - it was made compulsory in 1980 there. It has been suggested it was a bit of market protection to keep the German and Japanese manufacturers out.

Posted : 14/06/2020 7:56 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

@cathovisor

I knew it had been around for quite a while. I remember first encountering it on my JVC VHS recorder in about 1987, before I even had a telly with SCART! I'd guessed it would have been around before then, but to me, it almost seemed that somewhere around 1989/90 there was a sudden explosion of SCART connected kit on the market. I think my first SCART equipped telly was about 1993. Before then I seem to recall using BNC for video, and RCA phono for audio, into one particular set.

Posted : 14/06/2020 8:08 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Prominent Member Registered

Posted by: @nuvistor

Main reason for posting was to inform those who visit and have little experience to look for simplest and easiest explanation first before delving in and taking things apart.

We've all been guilty of overthinking problems at some stage. 

Posted : 15/06/2020 7:59 am
Share: