Share:
Notifications
Clear all

My ITT CVC7 tale

Mikey66
(@mikey66)
Active V-Ratter Registered

I got this set from Neil earlier this week.
I left it for 48 hours in my back room with the dehumidifier running to gently warm it up.
Tonight after work I decided to give it some mains and see if it would come to life.
And it did 🙂 .....for about an hour. Then the picture shrank to a rectangular, out of focus green square in the middle of the screen. "Oh dear" I thought, probably a shorted cap, or at worst the Tripler.

I've checked C310 (this looks like it has been replaced), C261 & C308 on the lopty panel. They all check out ok. The voltage on the grid of the PL509 goes down to -15v.
I've measured the current across the 400mA fuse holder and it rose to over 500mA I switched off then!
Disconnecting the tripler makes no difference
I've read about the polystyrene caps in the line osc circuit and mine are the mustard coloured polyester flavour so I don't think it's those.
I fear for the LOPTY. Can anyone give me any clues as to where to look next?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/02/2013 8:34 pm
Alastair
(@alastair)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

0.47uF 1000V 'boost-cap' will cause your probs, but suspect you've already checked it.

There is another cap--or was it a diode--that will cause the same sort of fault too--Been so long, I cant remember....

Line output Tx are pretty good on these, although I did have occasion to change just the one years ago....

Triplers were the main probs in the line-stage I found, and sometimes a dodgy PY500A--usually with lots of arcing where the cathode sags and shorts the filaments!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/02/2013 10:21 pm
Mikey66
(@mikey66)

I'm going to try new PY500A & change those caps to be on the safe side. There was a faint blue glow in the PL509,but it was only visible in a darkened room.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 19/02/2013 7:21 am
Mikey66
(@mikey66)

Having changed the suspect caps (C261, C303, C308 & C310) there is no change.
I can lay my hands on a Decca Bradford lopt, which I've read somewhere, can be used in one of these ITT's.
Has anyone here tried it?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 20/02/2013 5:45 pm
malcscott
(@malcscott)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

I have fitted Rediffusion MK1 loptx to this type chassis many years ago. Worked fine. The 22/26 inch Bradford and the Rediffusion MK1 loptx are all the same.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/02/2013 7:15 pm
Focus Diode
(@focus)
Honorable V-Ratter Registered

Sorry if you've already done this, the components on the PCB panel holding the LOPT should be checked/replaced, (I don't have the circuit on me so not sure component numbers off hand). I remember one capacitor causing lack of width on this board when defective. Also check the solder on the pins to the main PCB as dry joints cause strange symptoms.

Does the transductor look ok?

Cheers,
Brian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/02/2013 11:04 am
Mikey66
(@mikey66)

Thanks for the replies Malc & Brian.
I've replaced the PCF802 and the line drive coupling cap (C301), it was split along both sides. The transducer looks ok and isn't getting warm. The PY500A is getting quite hot, but not having much experience with valve line output stages, i'm not sure how hot is too hot.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 28/02/2013 10:40 am
malcscott
(@malcscott)

Disconect the tripler input. Do you have a scope to check for line drive? Have you replaced the line output valves? The pl/py do run quite hot, the heaters should be glowing red, but nothing else inside the valves should.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/02/2013 10:48 am
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)

You haven't missed a spring-off that's sprung off have you? :'(

Try saying that repeatedly after a few pints .... :thumbl:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/02/2013 10:53 am
Mikey66
(@mikey66)

Hi Malc, Ive tried disconnecting the tripler. to no avail. I only have a PY500A, PL519s seem to go for silly money these days.

I will have to dig my old scope out, remove it's earth lead (no isolating Tx :sad: ) and check the line drive waveform.

Hi Doz, Nowt's sprung open and no fuses blown.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 28/02/2013 11:23 am
malcscott
(@malcscott)

A PL509 is fitted to this chassis as far as i can remember. One of these will be fine. The PL519 is a bit beefier.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/02/2013 12:15 pm
Mikey66
(@mikey66)

I think the PL519 is new, it looks shinier than the others and Neil29 who I got the set from says he renewed it some years ago. I'll try the scope this weekend.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 28/02/2013 12:20 pm
Mikey66
(@mikey66)

Couldn't wait until weekend so I dug my old scope out.
This is what I saw on pin 1 of the PL519, using a x10 probe and the timebase set to 10us/cm .
I did notice the drive waveform disappeared as the sound came up and then reappered and the sound went off 8)) and I switched off quick

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 28/02/2013 5:59 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Illustrious V-Ratter Deactivated Account

I can recall various line output troubles with this chassis, mostly caused by poor earthing continuity on the line output stage printed circuit board.
The earthing points, where the chassis lugs are soldered to the printed circuit, would go resistive. they were also used as an earth carrier point for different sections of the LOPT stage circuit.
The answer was to resolder the joints with a high wattage soldering iron. I would also solder insulated
wire links between the earthing solder joints, to ensure continuity of the earth line.
I also seem to remember a 10mf electrolytic in the cathode/grid circuit of the line output valve, giving problems.

Roger.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/02/2013 10:49 pm
Tazman1966
(@tazman1966)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

Hi there.

Don't get too sidetracked by the sound vanishing. It is deliberately muted until the line timebase gets properly going on these series of sets. How are the voltages on the PCF802? In particular check anode volts.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/03/2013 11:09 am
Mikey66
(@mikey66)

After a week away from the CVC7, this morning I decided to try ringing its LOPT.

Firstly I tried a new Decca 30 lopt

Then I tried the CVC7 lopt

It doesn't look good and I only have myself to blame :(

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 10/03/2013 1:13 pm
Mikey66
(@mikey66)

Hi,

I don't suppose anyone has a CVC5 line output transformer they don't need anymore ?

Mine has gone legs up :sad:

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/03/2013 10:44 pm
Mikey66
(@mikey66)

It's been a while, but I now have a picture on my ITT... no colour yet though

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 21/10/2013 2:19 pm
Focus Diode
(@focus)
Honorable V-Ratter Registered

Excellent! Have you tried ditching the colour killer? I must admit on the set I had I ended up snipping the CK diode which permanently ended stubbon intermittent no colour problems! There's arguably no need for it now all transmissions are txd as colour, as they have been since the late 1980s.

Never seen a CVC7 before. Did the original LOPT turn out to be defective?
Cheers,
Brian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/10/2013 10:19 pm
Mikey66
(@mikey66)

Hi Brian

Yes the original lopt was faulty, I have had it rewound by Mike Barker but a couple of weeks ago a nice chap off UKVRR gave me a lopt from a scrapper.
The set has been on for a few evenings to see if any faults showed up and one did, the picture and sound went off leaving a blank raster. Fortunately I had a copy of Eugene Trundle's excellent servicing article from the service library, which helped me trace the fault to one of the "lockfit" transistors in the IF strip. I replaced all four transistors mainly because it was such a pain removing the IF subpanel.
I've been having a play with it tonight. I disabled the colour killer and was rewarded with unlocked colour, a tweak on R311 and now I have colour
:bba

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 21/10/2013 11:11 pm