Featured
Latest
Philips G8/G9, was ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Forum 141

Philips G8/G9, was it ever rebadged/rebranded??

17 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi,

Was just wondering if the Philips G8/G9 chassis was ever used under any other manufacturers name?

I don't ever remember ever seeing one, but then I did'nt see very many G8's and never saw a G9.

The G11 which was the next chassis from Philips was rebadged by Pye and Dynatron. So was the G11 the first colour chassis from Philips where this happened?

Jon
BVWS Member

Posted : 09/04/2017 11:48 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Both the G8 and G9 were marketed as Roberts Video.  Pye G11 sets were made in the Lowestoft works. Code was HU.

Till Eulenspiegel. 

Posted : 10/04/2017 12:12 am
hamid_1
(@hamid_1)
Reputable Member Registered

The ALBA TC2326 was a rebranded Philips G8 chassis. See the main site: https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/alba/

Alba also sourced televisions from Thorn - there are some examples on the same page.

Posted : 10/04/2017 12:28 am
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)
Topic starter

Thanks Till,

I forgot about Roberts, not from a G8/G9 point of view though,but their name was used the G11 too.

Jon
BVWS Member

Posted : 10/04/2017 12:28 am
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)
Topic starter

hamid_1 said
The ALBA TC2326 was a rebranded Philips G8 chassis. See the main site: https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/alba/

Alba also sourced televisions from Thorn - there are some examples on the same page.  

Cheers thumb_gif

Jon
BVWS Member

Posted : 10/04/2017 12:31 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

I should have remembered the Alba TC2326 because I had a good number of them out on rental during the seventies.

Not a Roberts but supplied in the 1990s by the same firm was a Dynatron badged version of the dreadful Philips G110.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 10/04/2017 11:47 am
malcscott
(@malcscott)
Prominent Member Registered

I remember the G110 chassis, i used to get all of the psu rebuilds. Total nightmare!!!

Posted : 10/04/2017 12:20 pm
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)
Topic starter

Till Eulenspiegel said
I should have remembered the Alba TC2326 because I had a good number of them out on rental during the seventies.

Not a Roberts but supplied in the 1990s by the same firm was a Dynatron badged version of the dreadful Philips G110.

Till Eulenspiegel.  

We're the public on to a good thing in buying the Alba version? Presumably it was less money to buy?

malcscott said
I remember the G110 chassis, i used to get all of the psu rebuilds. Total nightmare!!!  

Was it as bad as the 2A chassis? I remember them being a pain too!

Jon
BVWS Member

Posted : 10/04/2017 12:52 pm
malcscott
(@malcscott)
Prominent Member Registered

The 2A chassis were a stroll in the park compared to the G110!!

Posted : 10/04/2017 2:13 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Malc,  G110:  superb picture and NICAM sound but that PSU was a pain.  In the end I couldn't rid of the things fast enough. Made no money from those sets.  SMD components in power supplies is bad news.

Hi Jon, the Alba TC2326 G8:   actually it was slightly more expensive to buy from wholesalers. When you think about it Alba simply bought in the rebadged sets from Philips then distributed the sets to the wholesalers which in turn wanted a profit as well.

Philips owned a transport firm called London Carriers. It might have been possible that the firm delivered the sets to the Alba wholesalers direct. Alba didn't even see the sets. Just paid Philips a small commission for selling the sets, or, it might have been the other way round.  Who knows?   We're talking about business that went on forty years ago.

Till Eulenspiegel. 

Posted : 10/04/2017 3:49 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

London Carriers, there is a name from the past.

Frank

Posted : 10/04/2017 3:54 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Frank,

Found this from Trucknet UK:

http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=61517

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 10/04/2017 3:58 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Thanks for the link David, the ones I remember were the green ones in the  70's. Well I had forgotten all about them until your post. 

Those truck drivers have a lot of memories, they seem to enjoy working for the company.

Frank

Frank

Posted : 10/04/2017 4:32 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

There was also an Alba badged G6 - I remember seeing only one of those, and was surprised by its very existence.

Unless of course, the badge was a fake?

Posted : 10/04/2017 9:39 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Marion,

Yes, there was Alba badged G6 CTVs, both single and dual standard models were available.   From the mid sixties Philips was the main supplier of TVs to Alba Radio and Television Ltd, later on Thorn became a supplier   After giving up making TV sets the firm concentrated on the manufacture of radiograms.   Also made the well acclaimed UA700 series of Hi-Fi separates. From the early 70s transistor radios were sourced from Sanyo of Japan.    Alba was a very old company, founded in 1917. Premises were in Tabernacle Street, EC2.  They did everything there, design, manufacture and storage of finished goods.  I would have loved to have visited their works.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 10/04/2017 10:13 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Katie_Bush said
There was also an Alba badged G6 - I remember seeing only one of those, and was surprised by its very existence.

Unless of course, the badge was a fake?  

Marion, you're on the very site where all this CTV history is documented, its all available up top grin_gif

Alba TC1525

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/early-colour-tv-prices/  

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 10/04/2017 10:20 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Oh 'eck......doh_gifembarassed

D'you know... If I needed a screwdriver, I'd end up asking nextdoor - never think to look in my own back yard.......bash_gif

Posted : 10/04/2017 11:07 pm
Share: