64 Posts
8 Users
33 Likes
colourmaster
(@colourmaster)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

@cathovisor

Yes mike the liteon dvd recorder was bought new. It's never been any trouble. I bought it as it was a multi format machine. 

Posted : 12/01/2020 12:24 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Callins capacitors, they didn’t last long from new, replaced many in the 70’s. Perhaps it was down to cost cutting and Callins possibly made a range of decent ones but I never saw them in domestic equipment.

Frank

Posted : 12/01/2020 2:01 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Glasnost:  I got that wrong, jumping to conclusions it is a Rubycon.   As Cathodevisor confirms, Nichicon and Rubycon are still in business and that says it all..

Not sure if Callins capacitors were bought by manufactures because of low cost purchasing. Perhaps these were the  capacitors to buy simply as an alternative to other makes on offer at the time.

I remember seeing Nichicon capacitors in 1970s Philips.

In the early seventies I rented out a popular Alba TV set, the TS1320 which was really a rebadged Philips 20TG300. Those sets were full of Rubycon and Nichicon capacitors.  

Till Eulenspiegel.

DSC1056 2

Posted : 12/01/2020 3:57 pm
Focus Diode
(@focus)
Honorable Member Registered

Phew, glad it was nothing serious.

Reminded me of a nasty problem that developed on the 502 D/S version I had. The raster would shrink on, perfectly focused, as usual, akin to a B&W set with valve EHT.

Everything would be fine for a few minutes, then the raster would slowly balloon out leaving a blank screen for a few seconds before shrinking back on. This "performance" continued for as long as the set was switched on.

New valves made no difference. Measuring the boot voltage revealed variable voltages, being excessive as the raster shrinked back on.

Measuring the line drive revealed variable voltages here too, as the  Raster came and went. Replacing the coupling capacitor appeared to cure the fault.

Certainly, all was well for sometime, only for the fault to re-appear some months later!

Never sure exactly what was going on therefore. 

Posted : 19/03/2020 2:18 pm
Page 4 / 4
Share: