Rank-Arena F22 B110

36 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
acj1980
(@acj1980)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi, i have this oldie CTV from Rank-Arena i got for a week ago, it is in good condition, and i want to get it "back to life" again.

i took out the chassis and checked board after board, then slowly put on the power ca. 50vAC and up to full voltage (220volt) there is glow in the tube and snow sound i the speaker, but very very low high voltage at the HV transformer, i soldered the wire of from the tripler, but still same issue, so what to do next? 

As i can see the television is factured in GB in 1972, there is a label inside the television where were typed the date and information about test.

I dont know how to put in a picture yet, so i have linked it from my flickr account

https://www.flickr.com/photos/acjexplorer/35948095596/sizes/l

and the other picture of the television in album

https://www.flickr.com/photos/acjexplorer/albums/72157686398499725

Alex

Posted : 17/07/2017 9:41 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

That's the RBM ( Rank Bush Murphy) A823 chassis.

There's plenty of engineers on here familiar with that chassis. Don't forget up top on the green menu bar, under "service", there is a whole raft of useful info, stock faults and service guides and this chassis is covered.

Have a look through these, they're sure to give you some pointers.

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/rbm-sstd-stock-faults/

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/rbm-a823/

And of course once you earn access to the active members service library, there's the full RBM manufacturers service manual.

I have a really early version of this chassis in my Bush CTV187CS

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 17/07/2017 9:52 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

The chassis looks like the RBM A823, with I presume slight changes for VHF/UHF operation, slightly narrower IF passband, 5.5MHz inter carrier sound and 220V 50Hz AC supply.

Frank

Posted : 17/07/2017 9:56 pm
acj1980
(@acj1980)
Topic starter

Thank you so much Chris, i really love this site :-), i will take a look on those links you wrote, thanx again

Yes Frank, in Denmark we use Pal B and 5.5 Mhz spacing from video IF

Alex 😉

PS: it must be one of the very first full transistored CTV in Europe? We have B&O but they abandoned the tubes in 1973 wit their beovision 4000 model, B&O didnt impress me, the TV sets was to complicated to repair and they made a lot of strange solutions in their circuits.

Posted : 17/07/2017 10:05 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

I discovered many years ago that Bush made specific modifications to some of their 1940s radios for the Danish market - the model AC81 was one such set. The manual is in storage at the moment so sadly I cannot post up pictures.

Posted : 17/07/2017 10:26 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Thorn produced the 2000 series all transistor large screen CTV in 1967.

Frank

Posted : 17/07/2017 10:26 pm
acj1980
(@acj1980)
Topic starter

Cathovisor said
I discovered many years ago that Bush made specific modifications to some of their 1940s radios for the Danish market - the model AC81 was one such set. The manual is in storage at the moment so sadly I cannot post up pictures.  

Okay that´s new for me, back in days we have many radio/tv factories, the most known from outsite Denmark was Philips, they have a big factory in Copenhagen from 1933 to ca 1975  and they produce radioes and televisions, i wonder why they didn´t import from Nederland? 🙂 

@Nuvistor/Frank, how amazing, Denmark was hopless back in development, B&O 3000 was eating aprox 400 watt from the supply :-O it´s not a TV, it´s a very big heater 😀 haha

Posted : 18/07/2017 2:45 pm
acj1980
(@acj1980)
Topic starter

Chris said
That's the RBM ( Rank Bush Murphy) A823 chassis.

There's plenty of engineers on here familiar with that chassis. Don't forget up top on the green menu bar, under "service", there is a whole raft of useful info, stock faults and service guides and this chassis is covered.

Have a look through these, they're sure to give you some pointers.

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/rbm-sstd-stock-faults/

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/rbm-a823/

And of course once you earn access to the active members service library, there's the full RBM manufacturers service manual.

I have a really early version of this chassis in my Bush CTV187CS  

one question my friend, how do i "earn" to acess those service manuals? or how to do 😉 

Alex 😉 

Posted : 18/07/2017 3:04 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

acj1980 said

one question my friend, how do i "earn" to acess those service manuals? or how to do 😉 

Please see section 6 here:  https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/forum/site-rules-and-faqs/forum-access-rules/

Posted : 18/07/2017 3:12 pm
acj1980
(@acj1980)
Topic starter

Cathovisor said

acj1980 said

Please see section 6 here:  https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/forum/site-rules-and-faqs/forum-access-rules/  

Thank you Cathovisor 🙂 

Posted : 18/07/2017 3:50 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

acj1980 said

Alex 😉   

One good way is to send PYE625  lots and lots of chocolate..... YUM YUM rolf_gif

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 18/07/2017 6:32 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Prominent Member Registered

Hello Alex and welcome, that's a very interesting TV you have there. Looking at the cabinet styling there is nothing that gives it away being manufactured by Rank, could you possibly post a picture of the rear cover to see if that would have given us a clues? Also the tuner looks very German with it's separate button for tuning, does it have any markings that could identify the manufacturer?

Good luck with fault finding, the line output (flyback) transformer was extremely reliable and failures are virtually unknown on all of the A823 chassis versions. One or both of the BU105s can fail and are probably the worst job in servicing the set, there is very little space to work where they are located. On any A823 it's also a good idea to check 7RV3 on the convergence board which causes problems.

John.

John.

Posted : 18/07/2017 7:33 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Have a look at Alex's Flickr album, there's a rear cover photo among them

https://www.flickr.com/photos/acjexplorer

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 18/07/2017 7:55 pm
acj1980
(@acj1980)
Topic starter

PYE625 said

One good way is to send PYE625  lots and lots of chocolate..... YUM YUM rolf_gif  

Haha nice one, i noticed that, 😉 i think youre my new best friend 😉 i am a very big fan of chocolate grin_gifgrin_gifgrin_gif

@Jayceebee, i will try to locate a little more tomorrow, and then post som more picture of the TV, i know that Rank was made the television for the danish radio and tv factory Arena i Horsens, the Rank group buyed around 50% of Arena, the factory burned down i april 1970 and need capital for getting back again on market, i think they produced it for Arena  in the first year,and later in Horsens (1971-1975) until they closed Rank-Arena, i hope it make sense, im sorry for my bad english.

I´m happy to read that about the flyback transformer, it would be very differcult to get one today

Alex 😉 

Posted : 18/07/2017 9:58 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

acj1980 said

Thank you Cathovisor 🙂   

You're welcome, and it's great to have you on board. I hope you enjoy your time on here - we do smile

Posted : 18/07/2017 10:13 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)

acj1980 said

.........the factory burned down i april 1970 

Happened to me in 2001 and ultimately led to the collapse of the company I worked for in 2003.

Absolutely no need for you to apologize for your English, it's very good indeed. Do you know of any other UK manufacturers sets that made it to Denmark, I may be very wrong here but something tells me that Thorn may have used the brand name Skala on TVs or possibly the name of a rental shop chain in Scandinavia?

John.

John.

Posted : 18/07/2017 10:29 pm
acj1980
(@acj1980)
Topic starter

Jayceebee said

acj1980 said

.........the factory burned down i april 1970 

Happened to me in 2001 and ultimately led to the collapse of the company I worked for in 2003.

Absolutely no need for you to apologize for your English, it's very good indeed. Do you know of any other UK manufacturers sets that made it to Denmark, I may be very wrong here but something tells me that Thorn may have used the brand name Skala on TVs or possibly the name of a rental shop chain in Scandinavia?

John.  

Thanx mate :-).

I know we have Skala vcr´s in the 80ies, but that was a JVC inside, the same machines from Ferguson, Arena often used Garrad turntables in their production, and taperecorders, in the start 60ies arena introduces a kind of tape recorder build on a garrad recorder deck, another Danish radiocompany named Eltra used BSR deck in their second model reel to reel recorder, the Eltra 1001, was made in 62000 units from 1964-1970, it was a really good and religable machine but with tubes, they didnt like transistors ;-).

Thank you so much cathovisor, i am already enjoy to visit the forum, indeed 😀 it is so nice i have found the right forum 

Alex 😉

Posted : 18/07/2017 11:46 pm
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)
Honorable Member Registered

acj1980 said

another Danish radiocompany named Eltra used BSR deck in their second model reel to reel recorder, the Eltra 1001, was made in 62000 units from 1964-1970, it was a really good and religable machine but with tubes, they didnt like transistors 😉

They clearly had excellent taste and judgement! grin_gif

Classic TV Theme Tunes

Posted : 19/07/2017 12:12 am
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)

acj1980 said

I know we have Skala vcr´s in the 80ies, but that was a JVC inside

They were probably assembled in Berlin or Newhaven in the UK under the J2T venture between Thorn, Telefunken , Thomson and JVC. Never seen a picture of a Skala badged product.

John.

John.

Posted : 19/07/2017 9:43 pm
acj1980
(@acj1980)
Topic starter

Jayceebee said

acj1980 said
I know we have Skala vcr´s in the 80ies, but that was a JVC inside

They were probably assembled in Berlin or Newhaven in the UK under the J2T venture between Thorn, Telefunken , Thomson and JVC. Never seen a picture of a Skala badged product.

John.  

Hmm i dont know what the word "bagded" means, but i think it maybe is fx jvc machine, but on the front of the machine there is another logo like Saba, Telefunken aso, am im right? 

BTW, this evening i took a look on the HV part in the Rank TV and soldered the 2 Sc643a transistors out for measuring, booth of them, but it´s was okay, so back again, it was actually easy to remove it from the chassis, :-), i found the one 10R resistors was 17ohm, so i put some new pair into both of the transistors, tomorrow.... or later this day 😉 i will try to turn it on again and put on the scope to see what is going on .

Good night, 😀

Alex 😉

PS: i have put some new pictures in the album i linked to earlier

pictures of the RankArena TV

Posted : 20/07/2017 1:34 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: