CTV Show and Tell

9 Posts
5 Users
27 Likes
19Seventie
(@19seventie)
Estimable Member Registered
Topic starter

(Hope this is allowed here? Please delete or move if not)

I thought it may be a bit of fun to show off our collections, regardless of standards and/or colour or monochrome and just a little bit about them and our collecting interests

I'll kick off with my most recent group photo (Better photos)

I started physically collecting in December 2018 with my first set, the Hitachi CTP213, I had only intended to get the one set to use occasionally, but to get it working properly I had to do some work. I really struggled to get it going, even with help, but in the end I figured it out and got it working faultlessly (and it's held up til now! (touch wood!)) I ended up really enjoying working on it and so the actual collection began. It was soon followed by the Co Op, which i still haven't got working yet, and then the B&O. 

The B&O proved to be a bit of a milestone for me in my repairs as it was the first ever fault finding and repair I had done without any guidance. I had a whine on the sound, ended up being a transistor in the sound output panel. It was minor but it was a first for me

My collection now has a couple of criteria's and interests

I wanted a set from each decade from the 1950s upwards and then some technological differences. I had originally excluded the idea of a 1930s and 1940s set as I thought I'd have very little chance, but I ended up getting my hands on a D18T! 

Other than the era criteria I also wanted an example of technologies made, such as the CRT used, for example: 90 degree b/w and colour, 110 degree b/w and colour, delta gun and in line etc, these have all been achieved (Other than 110 degree delta gun but I imagine I have very little chance of that too!) I also wanted valve and solid state colour and b/w. I have solid state colour, and both examples for b/w but of course no valve colour as of yet. 

The main things I'm now on a look out for are a 1950s set and a B/W dual standard. DS Colour will have to wait!

`

Posted : 31/01/2022 9:27 pm
ntscuser, Lloyd, peterscott and 12 people reacted
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @19seventie

Other than 110 degree delta gun but I imagine I have very little chance of that too!

Go German.

Grundig, SABA and Telefunken all made 110° Delta-gun sets (Crusty has an example of a set I once owned myself, a Telefunken 743) and I'd wager there were others.

Posted : 31/01/2022 9:51 pm
19Seventie
(@19seventie)
Estimable Member Registered
Topic starter

Posted by: @cathovisor

Go German.

Grundig, SABA and Telefunken all made 110° Delta-gun sets (Crusty has an example of a set I once owned myself, a Telefunken 743) and I'd wager there were others.

Oh I didn't know that, I'll definitely keep that in mind! 

I wouldn't mind a Telefunken set to be honest anyway, i'll have to keep my eye out! Just had a look at the 743 in crustys repair blogs, what a set! Wouldn't have expected that to be as early as 1973 by design

Posted : 31/01/2022 10:10 pm
peterscott
(@peterscott)
Honorable Member Registered

@19seventie A big SABA belonging to a friend's parents was the first colour set that saw that really impressed me. I thought it was just like looking at Kodachrome transparencies projected. I couldn't believe how good it was. That same friend gave me my first "collectable" TV a Bush TV22. This was all back in 1970. I still have that TV22 in my "vast" collection although in more recent times I replaced its overwind with a voltage doubler.

P1030645 (Medium)

Peter

www.nostalgiatech.co.uk

Posted : 01/02/2022 9:08 am
Lloyd, Lloyd and Lloyd reacted
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

@peterscott

We had a huge 26" SABA in a cabinet with a tambour door (S6735?) and ultrasonic remote control with motorised pots for volume, brightness, colour and a motorised on/off switch! All driven by thyristors of course.

In addition to having a tone control for sound, it is also the only TV set I have ever encountered where you could turn the auto chroma control off. 

Posted : 01/02/2022 1:16 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Prominent Member Registered

In my time in the trade, I only ever saw one Saba... It had the words "Telecomputer" proudly written on the front. It was in the era when some designer thought it was a good idea to leave the CRT heaters lit for an "instant on" feature, so the CRT was a flat as a pancake by the time I saw it. 

Posted : 02/02/2022 2:14 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

@doz Our SABA was one of those - the heaters were under-run when in standby but it didn't help matters, nor did it help having the unusual (for the UK) A67-200X CRT. It was replaced after it developed a niggardly fault with a Salora "K" chassis set.

Edit: our SABA https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/saba_wuerttemberg_color_telec_3.html

Posted : 02/02/2022 2:56 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

I bought a Hitachi CNP192 around 1974/75, this had a switch to leave the crt heater on reduced power, the full isolating switch was on the same control so instructions were to switch it off completely when finished viewing. We told this to customers who had the same model.
This was then given to my father in law around 1985, he kept it until around 2003. The crt was then looking a bit worn but still gave a decent account after 10 mins warm up.

Only fault in its life was a intermittent tuner, which was replaced.

Frank

Posted : 02/02/2022 5:10 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

@nuvistor When my parents bought a video recorder I fitted a double 13A socket outlet (MK Mini Logic, I think they were called) to replace the existing Crabtree 15A socket and I got my parents to make sure they switched the SABA off at night whilst leaving the video (a Sanyo VTC-6500) powered.

Posted : 02/02/2022 7:59 pm
Share: