21 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
colourstar
(@colourstar)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi Folks

I recently bought a pile of Radio Times (mostly 1976/8) from my local charity shop and of course they are a great read. In 1977 the BBC were celebrating '25 Years of TV' in what was called 'Festival '77'.

Here's a photo from that issue showing Sylvia Peters at home. Anyone care to identify her television set? I wonder if it may be a Korting Transmere as they have that little fastening at the top of the speaker grille to access the convergence controls. The main control panel though doesn't have the usual sliders seen on that model... Over to the colour experts!

Steve

Sylvias-Telly.jpg

Posted : 16/11/2016 7:48 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

I don't recognise the TV but it's looks Continental. Just a thought but the sofa is in the wrong place to watch the TV, I wonder if they rearranged the furniture to have both Sylvia and the TV in the photo? The other thought, was the photo taken in a photography studio?

Sylvia Peters, remembered with affection, superb presenter.

Frank

Frank

Posted : 16/11/2016 8:00 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Easy peasy-lemon-squeezy geek

The set is a 22" RadioRentals: Baird 8750.

Perhaps the reason it has the continental feel is that the set was manufactured in W Germany

Forum 142

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 16/11/2016 8:02 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

I don't suppose for one minute that it is, but it reminds me of a 'Luxor' model I once had given in the early eighties.

I might be wrong, but was Luxor an in house brand of Comet electrical stores?

>>> EDIT <<<

Looking up a Chris' post - that blows me out of the waterelectro_gif

Posted : 16/11/2016 8:04 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Katie_Bush said
I don't suppose for one minute that it is, but it reminds me of a 'Luxor' model I once had given in the early eighties.

I might be wrong, but was Luxor an in house brand of Comet electrical stores?

>>> EDIT <<<

Looking up a Chris' post - that blows me out of the waterelectro_gif  

Nope - Luxor was either Finnish, Swedish or German but the name goes back a loooooong way - before WW2.

Posted : 16/11/2016 8:08 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

I am reasonably certain that we sold Luxor audio equipment in the early seventies, never TV's though. I think the importer went out of business and it was a while before they sold again in the UK. We did not restock them.

All from the back of my memory so apologies if its all wrong.confused

Frank

Frank

Posted : 16/11/2016 8:30 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)
Prominent Member Banned

Is the Baird 8750 not a Korting set then Chris ?

Posted : 16/11/2016 8:40 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

From the photo Steve provided I could see it said Baird which is what lead me to the Baird Brochure. All I know is what that brochure states, that the Baird 8750 was manufactured in West Germany to Baird's specifications. Now we know Baird was just a badge so what they really meant was built to Radio Rentals specifications.

I'm sort of aware Decca has ties with Korting and I'm aware there is some sort of tie in with Decca and Radio Rentals. To be honest this period it all started to get very incestuous so your guess is as good as mine.

Posted : 16/11/2016 8:49 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)
Prominent Member Banned

Ah Ok Thanks, I was just intrigued to what chassis was in the Baird that's all, we saw a lot of ex-rental Nordmende stuff because a lot of traders wouldn't buy them, we did, at a great discountgrin_gif

Posted : 16/11/2016 8:53 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Certainly not a Thorn manufactured set. It might be a clone of the very rare Decca 40 series.    Even it is not such a set the all transistor 40 series is worthy of discussion as a separate topic on this Forum.  

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 16/11/2016 8:54 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)
Prominent Member Banned

Be my guest Till smile

I am always interested to learn about historic sets and their lineage/ relationship to the firms that we know and lovethumb_gif

Posted : 16/11/2016 8:57 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Prominent Member Registered

Not a set I ever encountered but yes they were made by Korting and hybrid, PCL805 used as frame osc/output.

Wasn't the Decca tie up with Telefunken? I remember reading about the early experimental videodisc format which was originally known as Teldec and later Ted.

John.

John.

Posted : 16/11/2016 9:12 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

A PCL805 for frame output, did the set use a thin neck CRT or use a convergence amplifier? The sets I saw used the PL508 with around 4 or 5 watts more anode dissipation.

Frank

Frank

Posted : 16/11/2016 9:24 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Prominent Member Registered

No, standard delta shadowmask CRT. Didn't the ITT CVC5/9 series use a PCL805 also or am I mistaken?

John.

John.

Posted : 16/11/2016 9:30 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Jayceebee said
Not a set I ever encountered but yes they were made by Korting and hybrid, PCL805 used as frame osc/output.

Wasn't the Decca tie up with Telefunken? I remember reading about the early experimental videodisc format which was originally known as Teldec and later Ted.

John.  

It was indeed - some Decca and Telefunken sets were indistinguishable. The one I remember is the one with the vertical 'piano keys' with green lights in them for channel selectors.

Posted : 16/11/2016 9:31 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Jayceebee said

Wasn't the Decca tie up with Telefunken?

My knowledge in this area is wooly to say the least but I was ware that as early as the Decca CTV25 there was a TFK link. I believe but I could be wrong, Decca used three mechanical tuners in their sets. Most were awful and prone to failure, all but the superb Telefunken tuner. Lucky for me my CTV25 and CS2611 both have the Telefunken tuners fitted.

I'm still sure Decca must have had a tie in with korting as evidenced by the TV pattern gen below.

deckort.jpg

Posted : 16/11/2016 9:40 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Jayceebee said
Didn't the ITT CVC5/9 series use a PCL805 also or am I mistaken?

John.  

It did and you're not

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/1970-rgd-cr20/

Posted : 16/11/2016 9:42 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Chris said

Jayceebee said

Wasn't the Decca tie up with Telefunken?

My knowledge in this area is wooly to say the least but I was ware that as early as the Decca CTV25 there was a TFK link. I believe but I could be wrong, Decca used three mechanical tuners in their sets. Most were awful and prone to failure, all but the superb Telefunken tuner. Lucky for me my CTV25 and CS2611 both have the Telefunken tuners fitted.

I'm still sure Decca must have had a tie in with korting as evidenced by the TV pattern gen below.

deckort.jpg  

Without a doubt, and I have two of those pattern generators - one Decca, and one Korting.  I have (somewhere) one operator's manual, in German, which if memory serves me, shows both names one and the same generator.

Posted : 16/11/2016 9:45 pm
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)
Honorable Member Registered

Cathovisor said

Nope - Luxor was either Finnish, Swedish or German but the name goes back a loooooong way - before WW2.  

Luxor was Swedish and was the very first colour set to be imported into the UK (in 1967)

Luxor.png

Classic TV Theme Tunes

Posted : 16/11/2016 11:45 pm
GEC2110
(@gec2110)
Eminent Member Registered

The television in Sylvia Peters living room is a Radio Rentals version of a Korting Transmere .

These very  good sets  and capable of giving superb colour they employed a A56 120X CRT.

The Decca Bradford was badged for Telefunken in models 632 633

The 633 had a 7 pushbutton varicap tuner with small blubs built into the channel selector switches

the 632 looked just like the Decca Bradford 2632 if I remember correctly

Mark.

Posted : 17/11/2016 12:05 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: