Teletext recreated by Raspberry Pi

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
hamid_1
(@hamid_1)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter

Teletext (Ceefax, Oracle) was part of British colour television from the 1970s until the last analogue transmissions ended in 2012. On digital TV in the UK, it was replaced by digital text. For those who want the old style teletext to go with their vintage colour TV, there are a number of ways, some of which we discussed on the old forum. These include:

Tuning into satellite TV channels from outside the UK that still carry the old style teletext. Channels such as Eurosport and RTE1 from Ireland can be tuned in on a UK Sky Digital receiver. Those channels are scrambled but you can view their teletext without a subscription or viewing card. Advantage: The text pages are up-to-date, since you are receiving them 'live'. Disadvantages: you need an installed satellite dish and an older Sky Digibox which inserts the teletext signal onto its analogue output. Newer Sky HD boxes don't seem to work. On Eurosport teletext, the time display is always 1 hour ahead of UK time and the pages are limited to sports information.

Playing back S-VHS video recordings of TV channels that carried teletext. You can see teletext pages that were transmitted in the past, when the recording was made. Ordinary VHS recorders were not high enough quality and can't reproduce the telextext signal very well or at all. Disadvantage: S-VHS machines and tapes are not that common.

A few pattern generators such as Philips PM5518TX and ImoGen could generate a few pages of teletext for test purposes. Disadvantage: These devices are long since discontinued and hard to come by.

Enter the Raspberry Pi - no, not a tasty dessert but a small computer designed for educational use. It's about the size of a pack of playing cards and costs around £30 new. Thanks to the work of several people, this device can generate teletext.

There are several models of Raspberry Pi. Any of them can be used. There's even a cut-down version called Raspberry Pi Zero which only costs £5 (amazingly cheap) but the Zero doesn't include a video output socket needed for teletext - you'll have to solder one on the board yourself. I used a secondhand Mk.1 Raspberry Pi model B. This has a composite video RCA socket on board. The newer models have a combined Audio+Video jack socket. You can buy an AV cable suitable for it. The video signal needs to be connected to your television (via a modulator if necessary) just like a DVD player.

The Raspberry Pi is normally supplied as a bare circuit board. You'll probably want to buy or build a case to protect it.

As well as the Raspberry Pi itself, you'll also need a USB keyboard and mouse to set it up (borrow these from a desktop PC), a power supply (a mobile phone charger can be used) and a memory card, preferably 8Gb or higher. The Mk.1 Raspberry Pi uses full-size SDHC cards, the newer models use micro SDHC cards, like mobile phones. You can buy the Raspberry Pi complete with a suitable SDHC card and system software already loaded on it, or buy them separately and install the operating system yourself. I did the latter. Instructions and system files are provided on the official Raspberry Pi website http://www.raspberrypi.org

The Raspberry Pi needs to be running the Rasbian operating system. If you bought one with a pre-loaded memory card, it may give you a choice of systems to load. You also need to be connected to the internet. Easiest way is plug an ethernet cable from your router to your Raspberry Pi. The latest model can connect via wi-fi as well.

Once online, I followed the instructions here: http://www.teastop.co.uk/teletext/vbit/

I opened the shell (command prompt) and typed in the 3 lines of commands:

wget http://www.teastop.co.uk/teletext/vbit/getteletext
sudo chmod +x getteletext
./getteletext

This downloads and installs the teletext software. When finished, run it by typing ./go

With the video output plugged in to a vintage 1988 Sony Trinitron teletext TV, I pressed the Text button on the TV remote.

Hey presto, teletext!

itvtext.jpg

The software includes some archived ITV teletext pages which you can play around with.

The next step was to install Teefax, the 'live' teletext service. I followed the instructions here:
https://github.com/peterkvt80/vbit2/wiki

Unfortunately I encountered a problem after typing in one of the commands:

This came up with "Fatal error opening SSL connection".
I don't understand why the error occured, but then I tried opening the link in a web browser and it worked.
I saved the web page as getvbit2.txt and then typed getvbit2.txt instead on the next two commands.

Eventually (it took a while to install) I had Teefax running!teefax.jpg

Teefax comes with some wonderful examples of teletext art, as well as the Bamboozle game.

textart1.jpgtextart2.jpgbamboozle.jpg

Unfortunately I couldn't play Bamboozle as it needs Fastext, which this old Sony TV does not support. I'll have to try a newer one.

This is as far as I've got, after several sessions over the last few weekends. I knew pretty much nothing about the Raspberry Pi and Linux before that, so it's been a bit of a learning curve for me. But I'm pleased with the results so far.

There are more projects to try, including creating your own teletext pages. See here:

http://www.teastop.co.uk/teletext/

For example, if you have a museum with vintage tellies, you could create some information pages about your exhibits. The visitors could see the information by selecting the relevant teletext pages.

There are lots of possibilities. I've only scratched the surface. Perhaps this will inspire you to have a go and recreate teletext yourself. And if you get bored of creating teletext, there are many other things you can do with the Raspberry Pi, such as playing vintage video games (with emulator software), or using it as a media player. Have fun!

Posted : 22/02/2017 12:56 am
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

Hi Hamid,

Thanks for your post, it looks like a nifty fun little project, I might even give it a go some time in the future. thumb_gif

Cheers, Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 22/02/2017 1:35 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

I have a couple of RPis bought for a project that came to naught. I also have a data bridge (or two)... hmm_gif

Posted : 22/02/2017 8:22 am
Lloyd
(@lloyd)
Prominent Member Registered

Nice! I've been after an excuse to buy one of these for a while, now it looks like I've got one! I have a few Teletext sets, the one I really want to test being the Rediffusion Mk4 that I picked up from the car park at the NVCF.

Just one crazy thought, does this have to run on a Raspberry Pi? I have several old PC's laptops and a tablet that could do with finding a use, I did get a copy of Linux Mint running (very poorly) on a Panasonic CF-18 Toughbook, so wonder if it'll do this too.

Regards,

Lloyd.

Posted : 22/02/2017 1:05 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

I have a Pi that is no longer any use to me, it's the second version with 512MB if I remember correctly, HDMI, Phono video, 3.5mm sound and Ethernet.

No PSU, keyboard, mouse or memory card, I think the PSU needs to supply at leat 5v at 700ma, preferably 1 amp. It worked last time I used it with a 4GB card, I think they can be a little fussy with memory cards.

If anyone wants it to try Teletext it's FOC, not sure about postage costs, cannot be much to the U.K.

Names in a hat if anyone wants it, leave the offer open until Saturday 25th Feb.

Chris please move/delete if not a suitable area for the post.

Frank

Posted : 22/02/2017 2:08 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

I'd certainly like to see how this idea pans out. I planned to buy one of Graham's Imogen units, but circumstances conspired to prevent that, and of course they were only made as a handful of units so not much hope in finding one on the second hand market.

Posted : 22/02/2017 6:09 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)

I wish I'd seen your post earlier, Frank! I've just bought one! I got one of the Pi 3 1gb 1.2ghz quad core versions that will need a cable making up for the video out.

I'll try matching it up with a touch screen LCD and also use it to feed Youtube or somesuch into my RF distribution system.

Regards,

Lloyd.

Posted : 22/02/2017 10:36 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)

My Pi has just arrived, so I'll be starting on this project very soon! Just got to find a Teletext capable TV that actually has a remote with it...

I'll let you all know how I get on!

Regards,

Lloyd.

Posted : 25/02/2017 12:14 pm
Hurty
(@hurty)
Estimable Member Registered

Hi All, Interesting thread!

Weather Page   

20170227_1518231-1.jpg

Teletext Line 

20170227_1518331-1.jpg

Zoomed in to slow clock run-in

20170227_1518431-1.jpg                                           

Just loaded a Pi 2 and all working nicely. I'll just point out a couple of things you need to do on the Pi. You need to remove the "#" in front of the line "sdtv_mode2" (done using notepad) in the config.txt file on SD card containing Raspbian and save. This puts analogue output to PAL 625 line standard, default is NTSC 60Hz, modern sets do not work unless this is correct. I used an LG LCD set to test. I don't think Teletext was used in NTSC? Also remember to boot the Pi with the HDMI lead disconnected or you will not get an analogue video output. Pictured are my results.

Hurty

Posted : 27/02/2017 3:54 pm
Forum 142
(@Anonymous)

Hurty said
Hi All, Interesting thread!

Agreed! The convergence of Teletext and Raspberry PI...

This puts analogue output to PAL 625 line standard, default is NTSC 60Hz, modern sets do not work unless this is correct. I used an LG LCD set to test. I don't think Teletext was used in NTSC?

Teletext never caught on in the States. There were field trials during the early 1980s, in Florida (known for its retiree population mostly on a fixed income) I'm not sure why it didn't gain traction, there was push back at the cost of Teletext decoders. First demonstrated in the United States in 1978, NABTS was the standard used for both CBS's ExtraVision and NBC's very short-lived NBC Teletext services in the mid-1980s.

Posted : 27/02/2017 6:17 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Resurrecting this thread, I see Teefax was picked up by the Independent today:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/ceefax-man-recreate-engineer-tv-a9338021.html

Posted : 16/02/2020 5:33 pm
RichardFromMarple
(@richardfrommarple)
Reputable Member Registered

I bought a Raspberry Pi recently for this reason, but haven't got round to installing the software.

One reason was I could get a decent display on an analogue set but with an overscan on the left hand side.

Even when adjusting the Pi's display settings it didn't seem to make much difference, & wasn't sure if this would affect the text lines.

Posted : 16/02/2020 10:59 pm
Share: