Television Magazine CTV Kit: I.F. Strip

7 Posts
4 Users
3 Likes
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Moderator Note: The following posts were split off from a transport request thread as they warranted a thread of their own.
https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/community/channel-3-2-transport-requests/romford-south-wales-or-somewhere-nearer-than-romford/

Posted by: @crustytv

Not a Forgestone CTV but yes its the "Television" magazine one.

“Television” magazine ran a series of articles for the home constructor starting in April 1972 and ending in part 18 in Oct 1973.  I have the entire series and even have a brand new, old stock i.f strip somewhere.

what 3

Is that a dual-standard IF strip I see before me, Chris?

Posted : 18/07/2019 10:03 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

? Ooops my bad....

I hoofed out the photos of the wrong strip, the one pictured above is from the much earlier mono project by Keith Cummins in  1970 "Television".

With regards to the set referenced in the transport thread, here's a picture of the cabinet as featured in April 1972. As mentioned by the OP of that thread, its a monster sized cabinet as it encompasses the entire CRT.

ptv

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 18/07/2019 10:18 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

I was going to say... it looked a bit like the IF strip that used to lurk at the back of Pye d/s tuners. 

Posted : 18/07/2019 10:22 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Yes D/S Pye, as you say attached to the back of the multiband tuner circa 1965. Not Pye’s finest moment. Yet their next design which was similar but fitted to the side of the main chassis was a decent performer and gave little trouble.

It was said, but no evidence that I have seen, that Mr Stanley wanted to have the first dual standard hybrid chassis, pushed a bit too hard and didn’t get the best result.

Frank

Posted : 19/07/2019 7:29 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Frank, I remember the first Pye hybrid set was a very compact 16" CRT table model.  Was it the model 40?  A 16" remote control model used a motor controlled version of the multi-band tuner.  The IF board used those black Fairchild transistors.  The later hybrid Group 67 and 368 models were very good.  

Till Eulenspiegel. 

Posted : 19/07/2019 9:18 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Yes model 40 comes to mind, don’t remember the remote control model but the boss may have decided against it.

Frank

Posted : 19/07/2019 9:31 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Posted by: @nuvistor

Yes D/S Pye, as you say attached to the back of the multiband tuner circa 1965. Not Pye’s finest moment. Yet their next design which was similar but fitted to the side of the main chassis was a decent performer and gave little trouble.

It was said, but no evidence that I have seen, that Mr Stanley wanted to have the first dual standard hybrid chassis, pushed a bit too hard and didn’t get the best result.

Doesn't surprise me, having read Stanley's biography. My memory of it was on a 23" Pye my great-aunt had bought secondhand from the local vicar that had an astonishingly flat tube. The tuner knob was, I think, a large one with six detents at the top of the control panel.

Posted : 19/07/2019 10:29 am
Share: