Notifications
Clear all

The Decca Bradford chassis. It was really a Baird.

Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

The Bradford CTV chassis is a favourite with TV collectors and was liked by TV service people when it was new.
We know that it is really a Baird chassis. Although the design centre that developed the Decca 10 series "Bradford" was indeed located in that town I believe the sets were actually made in Bridgnorth Shropshire at the former RGD works. Later, after Tatung the Taiwanese firm acquired Decca R & T from Racal the manufacturing was transferred to a new works in Telford.
The Bradford design centre was later on also transferred to Telford.

So the former Radio Rentals owned factory continued to make TV sets for Thorn Consumer Electronics until it closed in 1978.
The very excellent 9200 chassis was made there, a 9000 series modified to accept the UK made Mullard A51-570X CRT.

From Hansard: The closure of the Thorn Television Factory.
http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/comm ... y-closures

So, have I got the facts right?

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 24/11/2014 5:05 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

The only thing I would query Till is that the 9200 chassis ISTR used the same 20" RCA A51-161X CRT as fitted to the 9000 and had VHF and UHF tuners fitted. It was the 9900 series chassis that introduced the Mullard A51-570X.

Is it possiible the Tatung site in Telford was taken over by Samsung as this is where their training courses were held?

John.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/11/2014 1:51 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

Hi John,
You are of course right. It was the 9900 series that employed the British made Mullard CRT. In the late seventies the Government gave Mullard a grant to set up a new manufacturing facility to make 20" in-line CRTS. Questions were asked at the time about the validity of of offering a grant to what was essentially a foreign firm. Philips were the owner of Mullard. Anyway, the investment did pay off and the new CRT was used by many manufactures.
Sets with twenty inch CRTs were very popular in the seventies and prior to the introduction of the Mullard tube all were imported from Japan or elsewhere. Something had to be done to reduce the import bill.
It is interesting to learn that in fact there were two television factories in Bradford. The old Baird works which was originally called MRG, MainsRadioGrams, and a new newer plant which was only ten years old. Although that one might have been in Shipley.
Then there would be the ex-Baird design centre that was taken over by Decca.

With regard to radio and television manufacturing, West Yorkshire was once a very busy place.

I wasn't aware that Samsung had acquired the Tatung works at Telford.

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/11/2014 2:21 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)

With regard to radio and television manufacturing, West Yorkshire was once a very busy place.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Not forgetting Pace in Saltaire. In the analogue days almost every make of satellite box if it had a well known manufacturers badge on the front Pace produced it. Although I believe they are still a major player in the digital cable market sadly only R&D is done there now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/11/2014 2:52 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

I forgot about Pace. I least they are still in business employing designers in the UK.
I've got a couple of Philips branded Freeview boxes here and they were sourced from Pace.

Getting back to Thorn. I believe the founder of the company Sir Jules Thorn had retired sometime in the early seventies.
Perhaps things might have been different if he had been still in charge?

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/11/2014 6:29 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)

His party piece was to turn up at shops and factories unannounced. I once spotted his Rolls Royce with the registration DER1 in Sunderland whilst out on a service call. The shop manager where we worked went white when I told him I had spotted his Rolls.

Thankfully he didn't appear, probably he was on his way to the CRT factory at Pallion. :aaj

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/11/2014 7:32 pm