The last Samsung Slimfit TV?

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Yesterday I was called out to take a look at a Samsung Slimfit TV. It's owner just wanted an opinion whether it was worth repairing or not. Thankfully, he doesn't want it repaired which is a relief because I didn't relish the thought of having to lift this 130 pound monster in to the workshop.

Anyway, the set has given almost fifteen years of trouble free service which is not too bad when one considerers back in the old days of TV servicing the average life of a  TV was eight to ten years.

About the set. The Slimfit was the last attempt to make a marketable CRT TV set. The cabinet depth was reduced to 399mm (16") which was a useful improvement over previous 32" widescreen sets but the buying public weren't all that impressed and considered the new set to be nothing more than another big box model. 

Till Eulenspiegel.

Slim fit

Posted : 18/02/2020 10:31 am
Lloyd
(@lloyd)
Prominent Member Registered

I’ve still got mine, in my storage unit! It was working perfectly when I last powered it up 4 years ago. I hope to get it into my workshop, but I’ll need help shifting it. I remember lifting the CRT out of it to wash out the cabinet, that was a very scary task! I think it’s worth saving a few of these,since they were the last attempt at keeping CRT sets going. Mine has HDMI input too, but the flicker when displaying HD stuff is quite unpleasant.

Regards 

Lloyd 

Posted : 18/02/2020 10:44 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi Lloyd, the set I looked at yesterday was the early production version without DVB tuner. If any Forum member would like to acquire the set best make your mind up fast because it's destined for the dump. I don't want it.

To think I actually carried this heavy set into the customers house unaided.   Doubt if I could do that now.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 18/02/2020 11:01 am
Lloyd
(@lloyd)

Sadly I haven’t the space for another, I’m trying to thin down the collection of stuff 🙂 

Regards,

Lloyd 

Posted : 18/02/2020 1:05 pm
turretslug
(@turretslug)
Honorable Member Registered

These are intriguing sets- not least for that spectacular deflection achievement. Hopefully, someone will be able to save it as a worthwhile milestone and swansong in CRT development. It's a bit far away for me, and I already have CRT representation in the form of a 32" Loewe in one room and a 32" Grundig in another.... At least these sets were reasonably easy to handle, the worst I had to deal with was a 32" professional Sony Trinitron weighing 94kg in its barn-size and sharp-cornered metalwork that had to be installed in a far-flung part of the Palace of Westminster- a colleague and I had to stagger along corridor after corridor with the monster as we were strictly forbidden to use a trolley on their precious darn carpets. Never mind our precious darn spines....

My parents have a 36" Toshiba, bought 20 years ago and still giving good service- when it was delivered, my father (an airline pilot) muttered as we heaved it into place, "Why does this thing have to be so heavy?" My response- "Imagine that that big bit of flat glass was one of your cockpit windows- you wouldn't want that giving way at 30,000 feet...." Not quite an accurate analogy, but reasonably representative. He said that he was frightened of it after that!

Posted : 18/02/2020 2:37 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)

I had one for ages as my main set. Amazing how good the focus was at the corners and edges really. My ex-wife kept it when we spilt.

Posted : 18/02/2020 3:29 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

I have a feeling I've seen on of these on eBay, very recently. From the photos, I thought at first that I was looking at an early Samsung plasma screen because this thing seemed to fit very flat against the wall, but from a different angle it was clearly deeper than that.

Posted : 18/02/2020 8:48 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi Turretslug,

was the set a Picture Frame model?  The CRT had very small corner mounting lugs which permitted a very slim frame surrounding the screen. These sets had problems with the IF module which Toshiba were pleased to replace well out of guarantee.

Hi Marion, here's a plan view of the Slim-Fit TV

Slim fit 2

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 18/02/2020 10:30 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

@till That could be it! On the pictures I saw, the view was from the side, but looking at this image, I would say it's very likely the same set.

Posted : 18/02/2020 10:35 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)

There are some photos on here somewhere of my one with the back off, can’t find the thread at the moment though! It’s really quite amazing they managed to squish the tube down and still get a decent picture out of it, the only thing that I thought let it down was the size of the phosphor strips, they were quite wide towards the sides on mine. 

Regards,

Lloyd 

Posted : 18/02/2020 10:58 pm
turretslug
(@turretslug)
Honorable Member Registered

@Till - yes, a 36ZP18P, Dad was attracted by the minimal bezel around the screen. I'd wondered about the tube mounting details, it certainly made for an attractive presentation at the time. As it sits diagonally in a corner beside a deep chimney breast facing across the room, there's nothing to be gained from a flat-panel replacement so it soldiers on. I gather it was the last analogue-only tuner model in the series- he was a bit peeved to find that the subsequent model a short while later not only included Freeview but was somewhat cheaper! I don't recall any service calls to it, even before the analogue switch-off they used it as a monitor fed from a PVR, so the signal module may be U/S for all I know. If I can be inclined, I might try tuning in some VCR RF next time I go round.

Posted : 19/02/2020 2:16 pm
Share: