The Sony KV1340UB.

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

My first colour TV topic this year and it's a Japanese TV set!   This was one of my favourite sets of the 1970s. The KV1340UB was offered in various cabinet colours, the one featured here is in a sober grey finish. I did have a white set but it was given away to another collector.    The set being discussed here was taken out of service twenty years ago so when it was switched on yesterday I was expecting all sorts of bangs and flashes, but not so, the came on in the matter of less than 30 seconds.   Plenty snow on the screen and hiss from the loudspeaker.

The set is now installed in the garden workshop, now I can watch the Avengers while working on the strange HMV 1804.

Till Eulenspiegel.132102.jpg210130.jpg

Posted : 27/05/2017 1:14 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)
Prominent Member Registered

I quite like these Sony's, never managed to get my hands on one though! The grey I think looks better than the white ones. Quite amazing that after many years sat doing nothing they just come on and work as if they were only used yesterday.

Regards,

Lloyd.

Posted : 28/05/2017 10:35 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi Loyd,

when first switched on the tube looked a bit tired and I was willing to accept that. Now that the set has been in use for two evenings viewing the picture is now really sharp and bright.  The slight compression at the bottom of the picture has disappeared and the alleged tuner fault according to the label on the back hasn't appeared.

It's a good usable TV set.   What I remember of the white set was that the cabinet had yellowed, didn't look nice.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 28/05/2017 12:09 pm
Focus Diode
(@focus)
Honorable Member Registered

They seem a lot rarer than the earlier 1300UBs.

It's certainly done well seeing it hasn't been used for 20 years.

I have one of those Sanyo CTP370 hybrid portables. It was in full time use until around 15 years ago. It didn't look good when applying power to it with convergence errors and the likes after lying dormant for 10 years.

Perhaps one day I'll get round to restoring it.

Brian

Posted : 28/05/2017 7:23 pm
Share: