Featured
Latest
Thorn 9000 Series (...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Forum 141

Thorn 9000 Series (9200) The NZ Version....

25 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
glenz75
(@glenz75)
Estimable Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi guys - I got a call the other day from my E-waste recycling contact to say "You'd better come and pick up this old Thorn console before it gets dismantled"...I jumped in the station wagon and headed over there thinking/hoping that it might be a 3000/3500 as most of the NZ ones were consoles. When I arrived there was a scared looking Thorn TV poking its head half out the entrance door. It wasn't a 3500 but close enough - a Thorn 9200 series instead! :bba

Needless to say I was still very pleased to have acquired this set as I hadn't seen one of these for years let alone actually worked on one for about 15-20 years!

This one is a 22 inch version sporting the very long life and good quality Hitachi CRT. We had a 20 inch version which used an RCA CRT and they were hopeless, the tube went low emission and flat very quickly. The 20 inch sets were not popular due to the poor choice in picture tube. The two models were the Precision 20 and Precision 22.

I like the way these are constructed internally and they are quite good to work on. This employs the cyclops power supply/line output stage arrangement. These certainly had their fair share of faults but generally went very well,one of the problems is that they weren't understood by many techs who got frustrated in trying to fault find in them due to the nature of the circuit they employed. Many of these were destroyed long before their time hence not many survive now. I got pretty good with these when they were coming in for repair on a regular basis.

I believe that this chassis is a copy of the UK based version. We did have a 26 inch version with 'TouchTronic' channel change and a convergence panel ( think the chassis was a 9450/9500/9600)? But again haven't seen one of those in a very long time.

This was the deluxe model (9250) sporting an ultrasonic remote control and six channels, even though we only had two TV stations back then. For some reason the six channel selector was configured so that each button that was pressed would go an a 1,2 1,2 sequence rather than 1,2,3,4,5,6? :aab

I've always like the look of these Thorns, very clean lines and nicely laid out controls and of course the nixie tube for the channel number. :)

I wasted no time in getting this into the workshop and removing the back to see that it is pretty much all original and hasn't seen many repairs.
It has got a couple of faults - the first being a delayed lazy initial start up...the cyclops ticks and clicks at random for about 10 seconds then bursts into life (leaky diode from memory on the board) and it has a colour demod/phase fault but the CRT is excellent. This will produce a stunning picture once I've gone over it and fixed the problems so looking forward to sinking my teeth into this one when time allows.

Here are a few photos uploaded of it for your enjoyment.

Cheers!
Glen

My You Tube Channel for those suffering from insomina - Youtube Glenz1975

Posted : 14/03/2014 9:28 am
glenz75
(@glenz75)
Topic starter

The rest of the photos! :)

Posted : 14/03/2014 9:29 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Hi Glen,

What a fantastic save from the recyclers, wish ours were as accommodating over here instead of the jobsworth brigade.

I've never seen a 9000, come to that I've not seen an 8000 series either, I've read about Cyclops though. Look forwards to your findings once you get it in the workshop. I was going to say get it on the bench but like you, most of the TV's I'm getting these days won't go on the bench :aaj

Chris

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 14/03/2014 9:48 am
glenz75
(@glenz75)
Topic starter

Hi Chris - Yes it was a good save indeed. I was pretty chuffed myself when I picked it up.
My problem with getting it on the bench is that since I now run my Audio & HiFi servicing business from home the benches have always got a customers repair on them so I have to find a time when at least one bench is clear and I'm not tired and are in the 'mood' for some TV Tinkering! :qq1
Cheers G.

Posted : 14/03/2014 10:22 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Fantastic find. I had many 9600 series sets out on rental. The 9200/9600 series was a magnificently over engineered chassis. Surprisingly reliable for such a complex design.
UK versions used the RCA S4 CRT. The UHF only versions employed the Thorn made SC4 tuner which was a replacement for the obsolete Mullard ELC1043 vari-cap tuner. I might still have some service info for these sets.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 14/03/2014 10:34 am
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Prominent Member Registered

Vivid memories of tripler replacement on these sets. If you left that bit of pipe lagging off, the thing hissed like a snake. Most were on their last legs by the time I saw them.

Posted : 14/03/2014 11:09 am
Mikey66
(@mikey66)
Reputable Member Registered

What a great find, My favourite Thorn chassis and it looks great.
Still got a couple of NOS triplers stashed away.
I still live in hope of finding one of them.

Best regards

Mike

Posted : 14/03/2014 11:43 am
Refugee
(@refugee)
Noble Member Registered

I can remember the 9XXX sets. I did not see more than one or two.
The SYCLOPS was used to hide the SMPSU switching noise in the blanking period.
What I do remember was going into industrial CCTV where they had a design that was causing problems.
There was a switching noise line on the screen.
I "pinched" the idea and had a fiddle and got it spot on and the production department adopted the modification.

Posted : 14/03/2014 12:02 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account

I also think its 9K8 the 9000 looked far less crowded
we quite liked them once we got are head round the psu (which turned out to be quite reliable)
nearly all the large screen (9k6/9k8) needed new tubes one thing to watch was to make sure the heater series resistor had not been shorted out or your recon tube would not last very long.
I was also surprised to get a shock from the ultrasonic hand set !
Rob T

Posted : 14/03/2014 12:38 pm
malcscott
(@malcscott)
Prominent Member Registered

Rediffusion had loads of these out on service (RT539/20). Most fault were s/c R2540/3.3 ohm w/w surge resistor and thick film unit. The triplers failed on a regular basis. After 3 years the crt,s were well past their best. The picture quality was brilliant, no convergence to set up compared with other sets in 1975.

Posted : 14/03/2014 1:02 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

The 9800 series was a disgrace. I generally like lash up things but this chassis went too far. Essentially a development of the 8800 which was just a cheap and cheerful version of the 8500 series which was in turn was a beefed up 8000. 25KV for the 19 and 22" CRTs. The 17" 8000 series was a 20KV chassis.
So the development was: 8000 17" CRT, 8500 19", 8800 22" and finally the 9800 22 and 26" CRTs.
Instead of the 25KV jellypot used in the 8500 and 8800 the Thorn designers of the 9800 opted for a Mullard split-diode line output transformer and added an over volts protection to the horrible thyristor power supply. We all know that this kind of power supply is not nice. A similar thyristor arrangement was used in the G8 and A823 chassis.
I liked the 8000 and 8500 series CTVs. Tolerated the 8800, but as for the 9800 I couldn't get rid of them fast enough after the costs had been amortised.
The 9600 was something much better, a really clever design just like the original 9000 series.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 14/03/2014 1:09 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

What a fantastic save from the recyclers, wish ours were as accommodating over here instead of the jobsworth brigade.

Oh, not all of them - I picked up a nice Grundig cassette recorder (C410) in its optional leather case out of the skip a couple of weeks ago and they were okay with that - if somewhat bemused!

Posted : 14/03/2014 1:12 pm
FRANK.C
(@frank-c)
Reputable Member Registered

Hi Glen
Your pictures brought back memories for me. The 9200 looks very similar to the 9500 which was one of the first sets that I ever worked on, that was in the late 80's they were out on rental and getting old, allot of the tubes were getting tired but otherwise were still preforming well. I haven't seen one in years.
I don't remember having to change many triplers on them, The same cant be said for the 9300 where it seamed like every second one that came in need a tripler.

I have always liked the Thorn models. A great find

Frank

www.electronics.frankcuffe.ovh

Posted : 15/03/2014 11:55 am
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Can anyone refresh my memory, but SYCLOPS... That stood for SYnchronous Conversion Line Output Stage, didn't it?

I remember a TV engineer from York (Ralph), who I knew quite well, absolutely hated them for one reason or another.. It seemed to me though, that this had to be a pointer to the future because this system gave a more energy efficient power supply, just more complicated to fix then transformers or a bunch of wirewwound droppers. :aa

Would I be right in thinking that line oscilator had to fire up in an instant, to start the SYCLOPS operation? I think that's where Ralph used to get in a tangle, looking for PSU faults, when it was the line oscilator at fault (or was it the other way round?).

Marion

Posted : 15/03/2014 10:46 pm
glenz75
(@glenz75)
Topic starter

Upon reading the post responses am I correct in assuming that the 9000 series are rare in the UK now?

Posted : 17/03/2014 7:30 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

I'm not sure how you gauge rare as there could be many sitting in peoples collections.

However if you take e-bay as an example I see no end of 50's 405 sets of all shapes sizes and manufacturers coming up in the UK week after week. How often have I seen on e-bay the 2000, 3000, 3500, 8000, 9000, 9600, let alone all the other manufacturers? Hardly ever if at all.

The consensus seems to be that the smaller 405's got put away in lofts as they were easy to do so. They also represented a significant investment to the generation that did not waste and throw away. Conversely by the time CTV's were long in the tooth, they were too large to stuff away and we as a society had started to embrace with vigour the throw away mentality. The 80's CTV's may even be fewer, as for the 90's CTV's, they will probably end up being the rarest of all, as they offer little interest to any of us now but may to future collectors.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 17/03/2014 8:10 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

...and don't forget that in the seventies the majority of colour TVs were rented, so when they came off service the they were broken up. In the late eighties many ex-rental TVs finished in those large warehouses where the sets were flogged off to the trade or the public. Many will remember those ex-Thorn rental TVs with the black Fablon covered cabinets. Most were just clapped out junk and finished up at the local dump.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 17/03/2014 10:27 am
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)
Honorable Member Registered

The 80's CTV's may even be fewer, as for the 90's CTV's, they will probably end up being the rarest of all, as they offer little interest to any of us now but may to future collectors.

The hideous black plastic cabinets did them no favours. On the other hand they are great for watching 4:3 programmes in RGB mode.

Classic TV Theme Tunes

Posted : 17/03/2014 3:25 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

I'm not sure how you gauge rare as there could be many sitting in peoples collections.

as for the 90's CTV's, they will probably end up being the rarest of all, as they offer little interest to any of us now but may to future collectors.

:aad :aad

I still have about a dozen such sets.. :) :)

Marion

Posted : 17/03/2014 8:40 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Can anyone refresh my memory, but SYCLOPS... That stood for SYnchronous Conversion Line Output Stage, didn't it?

SYnChronous Line Output and Power Supply, BICBW.... you'd hope the oscillator circuit would free-run when started until locked by a signal.

Bit like Salora's 'IPSALO' circuit; Integrated Power Supply And Line Output. However 'evil' they may be, they do make sense although line-locked power supplies can bring their own problems with them. (For the record, 'line-locked' here means 'locked to horizontal scan frequency' and not to 'AC mains frequency', which I always thought a bit American.)

I've found a reference to the latter on Finnish Wikipedia, but I don't speak a word of Suomi!

Posted : 17/03/2014 8:44 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: