CTV Trying to find an old TV...

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
theurbis
(@theurbis)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

Back when I was a kid, we had a Decca set (well, two actually in the family) both on rental from Radio Rentals.

I seem to remember them being similar, around 19/21 inches, wooden cabinet, grey plastic front.

One had a slot for a remote control in the front panel - if anyone remembers that?

Would be keen to see any photos of literature on these - although I'm in my mid-30s, so a lot of these are before my time, it's fascinating to see the vintage technology!

Cheers.

Posted : 17/05/2022 12:02 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Have you looked through the brochure section of our main site?

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 17/05/2022 12:04 pm
theurbis
(@theurbis)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

Yes in detail, along with hours of Googling too.
I can see it vividly in my head!

Posted : 17/05/2022 12:24 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Posted by: @theurbis

Yes in detail,

I see, those Decca brochures cover early 70s to early 80's, I was sure it must have been in one of them as there are plenty that were wood and plastic fronted. I wonder if your set was from the latter part of 80's, maybe when Tatung had taken control.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 17/05/2022 12:34 pm
theurbis
(@theurbis)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

Posted by: @crustytv
Posted by: @theurbis

Yes in detail,

I see, those Decca brochures cover early 70s to early 80's, I was sure it must have been in one of them as there are plenty that were wood and plastic fronted. I wonder if your set was from the latter part of 80's, maybe when Tatung had taken control.

Yes, I suspect it was just after those in the brochures that are on here.

Seem to remember the one with the remote slot on the front being incredibly reliable, and the other being horrendously unreliable!

Posted : 17/05/2022 12:36 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Prominent Member Registered

Are you certain it was a Decca? What you are describing especially as the set was from Radio Rentals sounds possibly like the Baird 8102.

There was a discussion about it here.

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/community/colour-television/thron-9904-9000-series-chassis/

John.

Posted : 17/05/2022 1:56 pm
theurbis
(@theurbis)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

Posted by: @jayceebee

Are you certain it was a Decca? What you are describing especially as the set was from Radio Rentals sounds possibly like the Baird 8102.

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/community/colour-television/thron-9904-9000-series-chassis/

Yeah I remember the DECCACOLOUR logo on the front.

It was similar to the CV8110 but the case was more "curved" - likely a couple of years after that one.

Posted : 17/05/2022 2:29 pm
theurbis
(@theurbis)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

Posted by: @jayceebee

Found a similar looking one on another forum where the user said "The DeccaColour TV is the model DP9257. It's the remote control version using the 121 chassis.".

I can't see anything else online regarding it though.

Posted : 17/05/2022 2:35 pm
Share: