Two New Additions To the Collection

11 Posts
5 Users
18 Likes
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

After well over two and a half years of not buying any TV's but rather selling or giving away 20+, I've now added a couple of new additions to the Crusty Collection. This due to having space and also a new workshop extension being underway.

I've been seeking for sometime without luck, the continentals, very few seem to have survived the cull.

The first of the new sets is a Hybrid Körting, I think its dates from around 1973-1974 and would have been one of the many imports to meet the demand the British manufacturers could not fill. Not the usual 'Transmare' of which there are very few but the hyper-rare 'Telesure'. I cannot find anything online about the 'Telesure', only the 'Transmare.

I doubt I have any service data unless its covered in the 'Red Books', I can't get to them yet so I will have to wait to find out when my workshop is back in operation. Thankfully the German manufacturing attention to detail is evident, the boards have no end of screen-print info, including waveforms and expected voltages. That's in strict contrast to the like of Philips on their G8 who only bothered to screen-print some component ID's. Hopefully from all the board info I should be able to fault find my way through the set.

The Körting did not initially look as it does now. The cabinet was faded and blotchy on all sides due to water stains. Yesterday I spent an hour with my cabinet kit, it responded very well and you'd never know. Inside its full of dead spiders and there's some surface rust to the chassis but only minor, I've had worse such as the Multibroadcast 773.

Just hope the LOPT and tripler are OK as I seriously doubt any set specific spares are going to be found now.

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/korting-telesure-54673/

The second TV is a little 'cutsie' PYE Chelsea, apparently one of the last produced, a rival set to compete with Thorns cheap 8000 offering. This one is in all wood (OK fablon) presentation rather than having the plastic fascia. Not sure what the chassis is but I do have a whole suite of PYE service manuals and I think it will be in one of them.

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/pye-chelsea/

Not going to be able to get any bench time until mid October as the workshop is dismantled in readiness for the extension works. Thought some of you might appreciate a little preliminary view of the TV's. 

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 24/08/2020 9:29 am
Nuvistor, Cathovisor, Doz and 6 people reacted
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

A couple of really good additions there, Chris!

The little Pye "Chelsea" seemed to be a very popular little set amongst the secondhand/surplus TV vendors in the 80s - there used to be a shop along the Goldhawk Road in Shepherd's Bush that had many of them for sale. I assume their small size made them an excellent second set, hence the popularity.It's also quite attractive.

The Körting 'Telesure' is a real rarity - I've never heard of it! Sadly, all my copies of the VDRG Handbuch are in storage so I can't go looking for you to see if it's in there. Before and after the war, Körting were held up as Germany's best radio manufacturer, with engineering quality second to none. I have a few Körting radios in my collection and can attest to that. For a few years before the war, the Transmare was their top model - it was very sophisticated, beautifully made and had a price tag to match. If one appears on the market in Germany today, expect to pay several thousand Euros for one.

Körting drew a bit of fire from their dealers when they started making sets for the catalogue company Neckermann in the 50s as it was felt it detracted from their exclusivity; by far and away the stellar sets of the post-war era was the Syntektor range, which used a form of PLL as an FM detector. These sets were so good that they were used as check receivers at radio stations rather than say, something made by R&S!

I look forward to (eventually) seeing these on the bench.

Posted : 24/08/2020 12:12 pm
Alex728, crustytv, Alex728 and 3 people reacted
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Is it a 713 or a 715 chassis, the 715 had the high voltage focus CRT whereas the 713 was low voltage. Looking at the photos the focus voltage seems to come from the tripler.

The 715 was produced to try and eliminate the shortcomings of the 713, ie. Poor focus, poor EHT regulation, and I think improvements in the video/colour circuits to improve the colour performance.

I had forgotten they had the CRT “upside down” with the blue gun at the bottom. Can’t remember why they did this unless it was similar to the Thorn 2000 to try and hide poor pin cushion distortion. 

It wasn’t a chassis we sold, we returned the 713 versions back to Pye.

Frank

Posted : 24/08/2020 2:45 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Hi Frank, well spotted, my typo its a 715, I just checked my manual as well.

Posted : 24/08/2020 2:50 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Seeing the Telesure photo's reminds me very much of the Transmare set's that often came my way in the early 80's as scrappers from my local TV shop. "Greenway's" in Whittlesey. They were really well made and usually worked, having very attractive cabinets too. Quite often they would be complete with their stand, usually the coffee table stlye with four wooden legs and castor's. Lovely sound quality too, I remember.

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 24/08/2020 4:26 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

I believe there is an article in the June 1979 edition of Television that describes renovation of Korting hybrid CTV's.

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 24/08/2020 4:47 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Yep its in the blog section "servicing the CTV sets" June/July 79 its by Mike Phelan. There's also a March 79 by John Coombes which covers 20" PIL sets, though I've not scanned that yet as mine is an A56 120X.

Posted : 24/08/2020 4:49 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @pye625

Seeing the Telesure photo's reminds me very much of the Transmare set's that often came my way in the early 80's as scrappers from my local TV shop. "Greenway's" in Whittlesey.

I'm not entirely sure - it's nearly 40 years ago now - but I think I applied for a job there when I left school!

Didn't get it, obviously.

It seemed to be a 'thing' with German sets of that era that they offered much-improved sound quality compared to contemporary British sets, often having tone controls.

Posted : 24/08/2020 5:44 pm
glenz75
(@glenz75)
Estimable Member Registered

The control panel on the Korting bears a striking resemblance to our NZ native AWA/Thorn 3500 (TX574) sets made here. We owned one of these AWA versions and nursed it well into the 1980's and I remember the the two circles above the power switch and they are identical to the Korting and even the control/channel push button layout is pretty much the same. Here is an image of the AWA advertising brochure from my vintage TV website.

CCI00042

My You Tube Channel for those suffering from insomina - Youtube Glenz1975

Posted : 25/08/2020 12:45 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: @nuvistor

Is it a 713 or a 715 chassis, the 715 had the high voltage focus CRT whereas the 713 was low voltage. Looking at the photos the focus voltage seems to come from the tripler.

The little PYE has now been confirmed to be a CT-219 with the 717 chassis and an A47 343X

Posted : 26/08/2020 6:09 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

That’s a new one for me, I’ve not seen a 717 chassis. 

Frank

Posted : 26/08/2020 7:29 pm
Share: