Featured
Latest
Two New CTV's join ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Forum 141

Two New CTV's join the Early colour collection.

24 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Thanks to Neil for lugging these two sets over to Mikey's bash. Also big thumbs up and thanks to David for giving them room in his tiny little car :qq1 and delivering them to my door last night.

I have updated the place holders on the main sites collection blog pages ( see below) and you expect to find the repairs taking place on the E-CTV forum for those that are interested in their journey back to life.

HMV 2725
Ultra 6714

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 16/05/2016 11:42 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

I must admit, if that CVCwhatever I saw at the NVCF yesterday was a CK603, I'd have bought it. But it wasn't, so luckily I am spared the evil that is colour again :qq1

As it stood, my total spend at the NVCF yesterday (excluding pre-arranged items) was the grand total of.... 50p.

Posted : 16/05/2016 12:06 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

I shall be following progress. I repaired very few Thorn CTV's, so my knowledge is nil, we sold a few Thorn B/W TV's in tbe 60's and 70's and to be honest we were not that impressed with them so when colour came out we steered clear. Good or bad decision, who knows, too late now.

One thing I can say about the Thorn B/W sets is that they were always easy to repair, personal view was performance and reliability were not as good as the Bush range. No doubt others had a different experience.

The Pye/Ekco B/W range which we had were not that brilliant from around 1966 onwards until the S/S 169 chassis came out.
Still they paid the bills.

Frank

Frank

Posted : 16/05/2016 12:17 pm
colourstar
(@colourstar)
Honorable Member Registered

Interesting to note that the knobs on the Ultra are the same as those fitted to several 1960s Ultra Bermuda b&w dual standard sets, so they had a long shelf life!

Steve

Posted : 16/05/2016 2:14 pm
slidertogrid
(@slidertogrid)

A nice pair of sets Chris! It's a long time since I worked on an 8800 . That's one of the nicest examples I have seen, most were in a drab plastic cabinet or if 26" a chipboard and Fablon one!
I have a brand new convergence panel for one somewhere if you need any pots or coils.

I am pleased with the set I got from Neil, an 8500, it too has smoked a few!
It's only got as far as the hall at the moment but once I have given it a clean I will get it on the bench and report progress if any!
First I need to get a flyback tuning cap for it. I'm not risking the tube neck with the original!

I had a look at the CVC5 at the NVCF yesterday. £95 wasn't a bad price (IMHO) when you take in to account buying one elsewhere and having to fetch it. I resisted as I really do have enough tellies. I noticed it there at the end so it looks as if everyone else felt the same. What I really had to resist was a couple of cheap KB D/S hand wires mono sets, VC4/VC52 Ilk..
Luckily by the time I had given in to temptation they had both sold! :aai
I will follow progress with interest!
:aad
Rich

Posted : 16/05/2016 3:41 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Very nice !! looking forward to seeing their progress :qq1

The HMV looks really special.

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 16/05/2016 7:49 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

The HMV looks really special.

I agree the HMV 2725 is a rather swish looking set.. "Special" in my opinion must be reserved for the next model in the sequence the HMV 2726, now that would be a find.

Posted : 16/05/2016 8:04 pm
slidertogrid
(@slidertogrid)

I don't think many if any were sold new The only ones I saw were ex rental. I avoided them as they were mostly massive console sets and had been filled with faulty panels/modules.
I had a go at a few that came in as chargeable repairs, There was an exrental dealer in town that sold allsorts, It could have been an OTV branch. They sold them cheaply and didn't want to know once the sets were out of the guarantee which wasn't very long to start with.
They had some nasty little thick film packages in them which along with the fact that they were so unfamiliar made repairs long winded and not really profitable.
I don't know what the Radio rentals engineers thought of them ,when you do lots have the service info and parts handy they probably presented a less daunting prospect.
Somewhere I have a picture of the back of my TV shop during the late 1980's there is a 26" 4000 on it's end by the bins.
I have lost the picture I had of the pile of scrap sets out the back in the early 80's there was about 5 or 6 dual standard GECs. a 22" G6 with no tube (as re-gunners would buy "square" glass) and dual standard black and white sets that we scrapped on sight. Every tube had been necked to stop them appearing in the local furniture auction up the road, it seems the dustman had an outlet for anything that looked OK...
I would like to say that I would like to see a 4000 again but the truth is I wouldn't ! Good luck if you find one!
Rich.
P.S if you do get one I do Have a spare brick from the A774 "if all else fails" tool kit... :bba
Rich.

Posted : 16/05/2016 9:53 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

The HMV 2725: This was one of the most popular rental sets, I couldn't get enough of them. It was that real wood cabinet the customers liked. The 2725 was available from late 1975 to 1977 when the agreement with EMI ended with Thorn CE. The story has been told before, Thorn Consumer Electronics did not own the HMV and Marconi brand names, these were licenced to Thorn over a twenty-one year period.

The HMV 2726: This was an impressive looking console set which had an ultrasonic remote control system. I did have one on rental and I looked after a privately owned set. The truth is the sets weren't too bad, good pictures as well. I've still have a few spares for the 4000 series chassis, there might even be a service manual somewhere in the shop.

Getting back to the 2725. There was an earlier similar looking set which was fitted with the 3500 series chassis.
Look out for the mono sets with the same styling cues. Also the 17" HMV colour set which has the 8000 chassis.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 17/05/2016 10:03 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Although not as good looking as the HMV 2725 I thought I'd give the Ultra 6714 some mention. I didn't have any 6714 sets on rental but I did have a similar looking Marconi version instead, bought from wholesalers.
The Marconi 4714 cabinet was darker.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 17/05/2016 10:18 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

thought I'd give the Ultra 6714 some mention. I didn't have any 6714 sets on rental but I did have a similar looking Marconi version instead, bought from wholesalers. The Marconi 4714 cabinet was darker.

That would have been the 4714 (taken from main website brochure ) As you say, same set just different cabinet finish and control fascia. That's all it came down to in the end, just badge engineering and control layout presentation.

Forum 142

Getting back to the 2725, look out for the mono sets with the same styling cues.
Till Eulenspiegel.

Indeed, as I mentioned in 2725 blog, the cabinet was to be found on many sets ( with slight modifications) and even B&W. Here is an example of the 20" HMV 2802 :1500 chassis version.

Posted : 18/05/2016 12:56 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

For the 1973 model year the Ultra 6714 and Marconi 4714 mechanical four button tuner models were replaced by the varicap tuned models 6715 and 4715. Six light action tuner buttons.

Was the varicap tuner model HMV 2715 preceded by a four button 2714 model?

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 18/05/2016 10:58 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Was the varicap tuner model HMV 2715 preceded by a four button 2714 model?

Till Eulenspiegel.

yes

HMV section here

HMV 2714
Forum 144

Posted : 18/05/2016 11:07 am
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)
Prominent Member Banned

RE: 4000 chassis

I cannot say that I have seen this chassis, what was different about it ? what chassis was it based on ? was it just a modified 3500 ? , was it export only?

Enquiring minds want to know :bba

Posted : 18/05/2016 11:07 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

RE: 4000 chassis

what chassis was it based on ? was it just a modified 3500 ? , was it export only?

Totally different to the 3000 and as far as I've been told most went export.

Photo of the only chassis and known set below. This was in Mikey;s collection, sadly the set no longer exists having apparently met its demise in a flood. So there really are now none known to have survived in the CTV communtity :aai unless someone knows differently?

As can be seen it is more akin to the 8000/9000 series, than the 3000/3500

If a 4000 ever turned up on e-bay expect it to fetch serious money as there are a few avid Thorn fans all seeking this incredibly rare chassis.

Forum 145

Posted : 18/05/2016 11:13 am
malcscott
(@malcscott)
Prominent Member Registered

The 4000 chassis was a one off job. Full of thick film modules. The crt was 110 deg delta. The triplers were a problem with them. Not very reliable sets and the pictures were only moderate, Malc.

Posted : 18/05/2016 11:34 am
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)
Prominent Member Banned

Thanks for the picture Chris :aad

The signal board/s do look a bit like the early forerunner of the later "twin panel" 9K series, not sure what to make of the rest of it though, while clearly Thorn it is not a chassis I can ever remember seeing.

Thorn always were past masters at throwing an "odd ball" into the mix. :)

Edit: cheers for the additional info Malc.

Posted : 18/05/2016 11:39 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

So the HMV 2714 has the same cabinet as the 4714 and 6714. Very badge engineered. Good for production planning though.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 18/05/2016 11:50 am
Marcus 3700
(@marcus-3700)
Estimable Member Registered

I'm lucky to own a HMV 2714 same as a 2704 both use the Mazda A55X crt. and same cabinet. HMV 2704 uses a 3000 chassis and 2714 uses the 3000 mk2 chassis. I also own two HMV 2715 FROM 1974 one of them is called Mr Rusty. :aaj

Posted : 25/05/2016 6:55 am
Marcus 3700
(@marcus-3700)
Estimable Member Registered

I've found a few pictures of them.

Posted : 26/05/2016 3:08 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: