Notifications
Clear all

When is a Panasonic TV not a Panasonic?

Page 1 / 2

Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

.......When it is a Vestel. I've just installed a new Panasonic TV set. Looking at the type label on the back it has that familiar Vestel look about it. Those barcodes. Sure enough it has the legend: "Assembled in Turkey"
The problem I'm having is that the remote codes are not Panasonic either, and the helpful Sky helpline couldn't assist. I was given various codes for Panasonic but non would operate the volume control on the Sky remote handset. I even tried the Philips code 0081 with no success.
The firm the customer bought the set from offers a free five year guarantee. You know, I'm glad I don't sell TVs anymore.

So Panasonic joins Toshiba, Sharp, Hitachi and many others I'm sure to source their TVs from Vestel.

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 03/06/2015 8:11 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

Oh dear... I bet the Panasonic 32" I bought last year has probably got Vestel innards :-o I'd hoped that buying a Panasonic I would be avoiding them!!

I have one of their little 15" LCD sets in the shed from probably 2003 or 2004, that's got to be proper Panasonic! At least, I hope it is.. It's not got any PC monitor inputs, just 1 scart, and composite video input. It's got a good picture for an early LCD set, and they even fitted a mini sub-woofer to it, so the sound quality isn't too bad either. It is a TX15LT2, feels quite well built, it's actually got a bit of weight to it! it's had one repair, a duff Mosfet that controlled the backlight.

Regards,
Lloyd.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2015 9:22 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)

So, who does that leave making their own set?

LG?
Samsung?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2015 9:30 pm
mark pirate
(@mark-pirate)
Member Deactivated Account

So Panasonic joins Toshiba, Sharp, Hitachi and many others I'm sure to source their TVs from Vestel.

And to think that Panasonic were probably the only decent make of modern TV's left!
I for one always recommended Panasonic, not any more......

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2015 9:30 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

My problem is I did recommend the Lady that she should buy a Panasonic. Bullet proof electronics, rarely break down and all that. The model in question is the TX32M300, they call it the 300 series. At least it has a five year guarantee. That's right, it is only the Korean set makers that are still making their own sets. Somehow, I think it will be always that way. Samsung is the new Panasonic.
What is Sony doing these days? Surely they haven't gone down the Vestel road as well.

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 03/06/2015 10:07 pm
DavidW
(@davidw)

Funnily enough when I had the back off my sons faulty Sony KDL22BX20D TV/DVD and it had a Samsung display board and unnamed other panels. So a bit of a hotch potch!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2015 10:30 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

I believe there is or was a joint venture between Sony and Samsung for the production of LCD panels.
Interesting to note that the Panasonic TV under discussion has Freeview HD. The pictures do look good.

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 03/06/2015 10:36 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

What is Sony doing these days? Surely they haven't gone down the Vestel road as well.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Not yet,

At least, not according to a chap I know in Selby.. He's something of a Sony aficionado, and reckons his new (less than a year old) Sony Bravia 4K (Super-duper XYZ) is still genuine Sony, both inside and out.

To me, it's not exactly a handsome set, but he likes it.. I suggested LG, but he said "Oh yeah, that's a prettier set, I'll grant you that, but performance wise - Naaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!".

Of course, he could be wearing Sony blinkers too! :aak

He's a 'dyed in the wool' Sony TV fanatic.

Marion

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2015 10:36 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Okay, so looking back up a couple of posts....

Sony Blinkers are fashionable..... :aak :aak :aal ttt:

Marion

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2015 10:38 pm
Norman-Raeburn
(@norman-raeburn)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

The entry model Panasonics are Vestel, having said that they are probably more economic to repair than the Panasonic versions. I have seen a lot of Panasonic plasma sets with faulty plasma display panels taking out buffer boards and y sustain boards at the same time. It makes for beyond economic repair sets as the new parts blow at switch on if the pdp is faulty. The advantage of the Vestel ones are that replacement panels are generally fairly cheap. In my opinion all modern sets are junk and don't generally last very long. Enough of my moaning about modern TV's. Best regards to all. Norman

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2015 10:50 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

Hi Marion, The truth is nobody can call any flat panel set good looking. There's is only the plinth it stands on and makers brand name to distinguish one set from the other.

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 03/06/2015 10:53 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Hi Marion, The truth is nobody can call any flat panel set good looking. There's is only the plinth it stands on and makers brand name to distinguish one set from the other.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Ah but.....

Some have a huge great 4" wide plastic margin all the way round the outside, whilst others are virtually "edge to edge" viewing area.. Granted, none are as aesthetically pleasing a "real" television set.

Marion

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2015 11:01 pm
ianj
 ianj
(@ianj)

Probably all made in Turkey or Korea now. Most people I know have either Philips or Samsung tvs from John Lewis ( comes with a 5 yr g/tee ) or Richer Sounds ( they offer a cheap 5 yr g/tee) -as did I.
I have seen a 32" for as cheap as £139. ATt that price I suppose most people would dump it after, say, 3 or 4 years . They all seem to want new all the time. I want 10 years from a tele! My old one went to the tip perfect after 14 years. I don't think my current one will go 14!

Marion; by the way-I find crt sets a bit odd looking now lol!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2015 11:04 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)

There was an entry level Sony which was only available at Tesco stores, this was a rebadged Beko :-o, far worse than Vestel but I'm still disappointed Panasonic have gone down that route.

Don't forget a few years ago Panasonic also badge engineered some dreadful Daewoo portables and combi's.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2015 11:18 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

In the year 2001 I gave up selling 14" portable TVs because the retail price had dropped to less than £149. At that price I was expected to deliver it and tune it in, spend an hour or so fiddling about with the loop aerial to get decent pictures.
Now a full size 32" LCD set sells for less than £149. The Panasonic we're discussing was £229 from John Lewis. The same set is £219 in Asda. Somehow, I still think they will be making a good profit from these sets. Makes you wonder how much these sets are coming into the country for?
The Korean TV manufactures have their sets mainly made in Eastern Europe. Former Soviet bloc countries such as Hungary, Slovakia etc.

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 03/06/2015 11:24 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)

just had a look round the back of mine, it's a TX-L32E6B, also says chassis: LA41. It also says assembled in the Czech Republic, not Turkey!! :thumb

So maybe mine's a real Panasonic after all...

The freeview HD pictures do look pretty good on it :bba I actually bought it because my old Philips one wouldn't work with my Canon 650D camera, when plugged into the Philips and trying to play back video's shot on it, it would just have the sound with a still image on screen. The 1080p video's shot on the Canon look rather good on it too!

Regards,
Lloyd.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2015 11:33 pm
colourmaster
(@colourmaster)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

We bought a Panasonic 24" last year and I was a bit suspicious of its origin . Its made in Slovakia and our sky remote operates it so I'm not sure what is . We have a 6yr old Panasonic plasma that still performs great but now they are vestel that's my association with Panasonic finished.
Regards.
Gary.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/06/2015 12:17 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

We bought a Panasonic 24" last year and I was a bit suspicious of its origin . Its made in Slovakia and our sky remote operates it so I'm not sure what it is.

It's a Panasonic. They had a plant in Slovakia, but...

http://news.yahoo.com/panasonic-shuts-d ... 31196.html

Panasonic having manufacturing capacity within the EU comes as no surprise to me TBH.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/06/2015 12:28 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

Hi Loyd and Gary,
I'm absolutely certain your sets are true Panasonic models. After the works closed down in Wales all real Panasonics were made in the Czech Republic and I'm sure the set that was made in Slovakia is the real thing as well.

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 04/06/2015 12:32 am
AidanLunn
(@aidanlunn)

I came off a period of long term sickness (LTS) about a month ago, I had last been in work in November. As some of you may know, I work for Dixons Retail in their technical and aftercare service "Knowhow" in a technical capacity (resolving technical problems over the phone and if hardware issues, booking said item).

Before I was on LTS, I knew it was rare(r) for us to have to book in Panasonic TV sets due to hardware malfunctions, however since I've come back, I've noticed a marked increase in Panasonic TVs bought since January this year having hardware faults under the manufacturer's warranty.

I wondered why and now I know why, I thought this would be the case.

And so the incessant desire for cheaper and cheaper TVs claims possibly its last victim. Well done, Panasonic, for holding out so long!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/06/2015 1:21 am
Page 1 / 2