Notifications
Clear all

BRC157 Transistor

crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

I suspect this will draw a blank, anyone have any data on the above transistor?

I was sent a large bag of NOS as a gift, but for the life of me I cannot find any data pertaining to them. I've checked my 1977 Towers, nothing!

I then checked my Thorn data books as I wondered if the BRCxxx was something they designated. Thorn classified their components in groups, checking the AFxx, OPxx, RFxx and TVTxx groups again turned up zero results. All I could find near was a BRC194. 

The latest book I have is 1978 ECA pocket book of transistors, nothing. Checked online and again zilch. I found a chap on e-bay selling 4 but again no data.

Using my tester I've ascertained they are PNP and the lead-outs but would like the full spec-sheet.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 24/06/2020 10:46 pm
Topic Tags
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

Hi Chris, I suspect you will find it’s  just your common or garden BC157, Thorn had a habit of removing the letter prefix and adding BRC or later TCE. The thyristor in the 8000 immediately springs to mind, BRC4443 was just a 2N4443.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/06/2020 1:30 pm
Nuvistor liked
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Thanks John, hoped you would pop along and provide some input. I must admit I had started to wonder that. ? 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/06/2020 2:33 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

For anyone outside Thorn it must have been very confusing and I think the OPxx AFxx TVTxx malarkey was just silly. Also of course there were things such as T9064V which were apparently selected types of normal production runs.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/06/2020 2:46 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Posted by: @jayceebee

or anyone outside Thorn it must have been very confusing and I think the OPxx AFxx TVTxx malarkey was just silly.

Tell me about it!

I inherited a very large quantity of transistors from an ex Thorn chap, all in Thorn packets, all with the generic classification codes I detailed above. Worse than that, for example and I'm sure being ex Thorn you know, A classification of AF1 (this is just one of 155 classification groups) means the packet could contain some if not all of the following :-

• BC214L
  • BC154
  • BC253B
  • MPS6552
  • BC187
  • BC259B
  • 2N4058

Spread this over 155 Thorn classification groups and you've got a real nightmare. That is until you get hold of one of their guide to semiconductor books.

I have vast semiconductor stock, all sorted in hundreds of draws, the thought of going through all those little packets sorting out all the individual and various transistors, diodes etc within, filled me with dread. My solution? I bought four more cabinets, labelled the draws up with Thorn classifications and populated the packets into them. It means when I need a component for a particular repair, I have to not only search my standard semiconductor storage but now the Thorn semiconductor storage as well. I'm running out of walls. ? 

Thorn Semiconductors

semi1

Normal Semiconductors

semi2
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/06/2020 3:14 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

Not being a Thorn dealer on the few repairs that came through the door those Thorn part numbers were a “problem”.

Sourcing suitable parts from many suppliers the Thorn numbers probably made it easier on the production line, although most other manufacturers managed ok.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/06/2020 4:20 pm