Capacitor prices

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Prominent Member Registered
Topic starter

I'm currently trying to order a stock of ordinary axial polyester film capacitors, 0.1uf and 0.01uf can be obtained at reasonable cost but values such as 0.22, 0.33, 0.47 seem to be going for silly prices. Am I looking in the wrong places? Any recommendations for suppliers would be welcomed.

John.

John.

Posted : 21/02/2017 9:18 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Hello John,

It is worth having a look on ebay, for instance here is an example of the kind of capacitor I frequently use....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polyester-Film-Capacitors-Packs-of-10-Various-Values-Various-Voltages-/152055974266?var=&hash=item23673e097a:m:mccX-j80Ayele1kmaO0Ma8Q

I think the brand name for them is "Suntan" but they don't look out of place on most chassis and can usually be squeezed into an old wax capacitor shell if needed.

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 21/02/2017 9:28 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

I buy the superb Vishay MKT1813 caps from Farnell - usually they get significantly cheaper after the first price break.

http://uk.farnell.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?catalogId=15001&langId=44&storeId=10151&categoryName=All&selectedCategoryId=&gs=true&st=mkt1813

There's also Rapid's range of jb Capacitors JFGA polyesters:

https://www.rapidonline.com/jb-capacitors-jfga-series-capacitors-axial-cylindrical-metallised-polyester-10-563131

I've never used these myself, have always used the Vishay ones.

Posted : 21/02/2017 9:32 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

I bought a huge stock from Just Radios of Canada a few years ago that I'm still ploughing through. Since then like others, I've been toppling up via e-bay, via vendor ecl80 who pretty much has most of what we all need. Only occasionally do I go to the big boys for the hard to obtain part or two.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 21/02/2017 10:20 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Prominent Member Registered
Topic starter

Ahh, I have been looking in the wrong places. Many thanks for those suggestions thumb_gif

John.

John.

Posted : 21/02/2017 11:15 pm
turretslug
(@turretslug)
Honorable Member Registered

The 100+ price break for the Rapid JFGA polyesters is impressive- the sort of saving that makes a group buy worth chewing over. They sound similar in general description to the Vishay MKT1813 that I've also used over the years- does anyone have any experience of them? I've noticed a trend for both thinning of copper leads with capacitors and for steel leads being used on many in recent years. I bought a bundle of Sprague 431P 0.1uF 600V polyesters long ago for valve kit overhaul- this was the first time I'd noticed the use of steel lead-outs and assumed that it was to reduce the likelihood of soldering heat damaging the dielectric by conduction, but I suspect that it's as much about cutting costs nowadays.

Posted : 21/02/2017 11:20 pm
Share: