Forum 141

CNC Milling Your Own PCB

25 Posts
6 Users
66 Likes
Sundog
(@sundog)
Reputable Member Registered

Although the UK is nominally 230V -6% +10%. Actually it's still mostly 240V.

Much of the time mine is at the upper end, over 250V. I note most power supplies are rated to 230V or 240V max.

Posted : 07/01/2022 8:29 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

So after the diversion of PSU failure, the second run at the CNC was undertaken this morning, and I'm reasonably pleased with the outcome. I'm still finding my feet with the FlatCam software, specifically around choosing tool type, depth cut and passes. Despite my relentless pursuit of perfection, this all now looks very do-able. The pin spacing for the TF402 lead-outs now matches the 4K vertical deflection.

I did video it and that is currently processing. I've a number of observations that I think, if pursued, may improve things further. Trouble is, I need to find answers to some of these, as I've no idea yet, how to solve a couple.

20220110 135609

Video link to follow.....

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 10/01/2022 2:04 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

SD version of the Video now available, it will take a little longer for the HD version to be the default.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 10/01/2022 3:17 pm
Red_to_Black, Jayceebee, WayneD and 6 people reacted
MurphyV310
(@murphyv310)
Honorable Member Registered

Hi.

Never ever made a PCB once in my life. I do though use the Manhattan method using either single or double sided laminated copper clad board. A lot of the stuff I do is RF related and this  method of construction is not only simple but very good for Screening and general RF work. My original Minimalistic MW superhet was built on Laminate board with tag strips soldered in place, a later FM single valve radio was done using the Manhattan way. Since then I've constructed pantry transmitters, modulators and a more powerful AM transmitter for the Amateur bands the same way with Rod Pentodes. Both sides of the board can be populated too with feed through connections and with excellent screening.

Cheers,
Trevor.
MM0KJJ. RSGB, GQRP, WACRAL, K&LARC. Member

Posted : 11/01/2022 10:27 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

I have tried making PCB’s, etching with ferric chloride but was never very successful so I take my hat off to Chris, it’s coming along nicely.

I had a spell getting back into amateur radio around 1990, made many kits available from Lake Electronics by Alan in Nottingham, Kanga kits, CM Howes, and Sheldon Hands. All good quality items that worked well, transceivers, ancillaries and test equipment. Life took over again and those have all been passed on to others.

I did get another rig in 2007, FT897, then again life takes over, it’s in a cupboard, tried receive a couple of years ago and seemed ok, it would probably best to sell it, we shall see.

Licensed since 1975, G4EHY, probably be a nuisance on the air now, those operating skills have gone.

Frank

Posted : 11/01/2022 12:08 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: