Notifications
Clear all

Question D59

Gazpacholulu
(@gazpacholulu)
New V-Ratter Registered

Just found a sealed packet with a D90 diode, THORN part number 01P0-910-001

Packet also marked C1574, TC2360 and 0X5-758

Any ideas to what it is? Or equivalent type?

Thanks in advance

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/11/2021 4:48 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Ah, the wonderful Thorn classification system, don't you just love it! My workshop is full of these Thorn packets, I got a large stock from an ex Thorn engineer a few years back.

D59 is just listed as a bias diode.

As you may or may not know, Thorn had this classification system for components. “AF=Audio", “OP=Output", “RF (self-explanatory)”, “TVT=Transistor", VS=Voltage stabiliser and "D=Diode".

In this case, the D59 packet will list all the diodes in that classification, that are OK to use. Therefore, in your pack if  it lists D90, C1574, TC2360 and OX5-758, they are all diode equivalents and any can be used in the circuit position.  Interestingly, C1574 is a transistor, I assume if used to be configured as a diode.

Quite why thorn did this is beyond me, it just seems to add a layer of confusion. However, I suspect inside Thorn it made perfect sense and to Thorn dealerships likewise. It's only when folk like us outside of Thorn get them, we go Huh!

John (Jayceebee) & Jim (Jcdaze) both Ex Thorn TV engineers, will I'm sure, correct me if I've got any of this wrong, or have further to add.

If you have a look at this, it should start to be a little clearer.

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/vintage-electronics-blog-forum/brcthorn-component-guide/?seq_no=2

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/11/2021 5:22 pm
Gazpacholulu
(@gazpacholulu)
New V-Ratter Registered

Thanks. I just got the eyeglass out and it has TC2360 printed on it. Still none the wiser as I rely on my 1968 Mullard data book for anything as old as this.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/11/2021 6:59 pm
Gazpacholulu
(@gazpacholulu)
New V-Ratter Registered

I just put the diode in my super duper Chinese tester and it has a firward voltage of 0.6v and a capacitance of 43pF so I guess its silicon

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/11/2021 7:09 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

I presume it allowed Thorn to source components from many vendors, choosing the best value which could be different from order to order as suppliers vied for the sale. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/11/2021 9:09 pm
crustytv liked