Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Help me identify this connector?  

Slartibartfast
(@slarti)
New V-Ratter Registered

I'm working on restoring an old 8-track car stereo I found at a used record store.

It has this connector on the back; which is a type I've never seen before. Four pins; with both power input and speaker output in the same socket. It reminds me a bit of a DIN connector, but it's not exactly that.

It would be cool to find the male plug for this; for connecting power and audio output without modifying anything.

Is this some kind of standard connector, or is it a proprietary one? Any information appreciated!

IMG 0537
IMG 0536

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2020 4:57 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Hi Slarti, welcome to the forum and your first post 👍,

When I looked at the socket, like you it reminded me of the DIN connectors. I remembered I had a PTV data sheet pinned up in the workshop that had a load of types listed, alas upon looking, it was purely Audio. I've got box somewhere with all manner of DIN plugs and sockets, though I suspect again they are all just Audio (no power).

dinskt

Crusty's Collection: Read the repair blogs
Crustys Youtube Channel: If you want to follow me on Youtube, please consider subscribing

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2020 6:00 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

It's not a DIN connector. It looks more like a type of American multipole connector.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2020 6:04 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

I have had a look online at some old USA catalogs but didn’t see any that sold that type of connector.

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2020 10:33 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

@nuvistor

Of course, it could be Japanese, Frank.

The annoying thing is I have seen these connectors before - in my mind's eye I can see one right now, with a cable sleeved in grey PVC connected to it - but where I can't remember, and it's so frustrating!! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/04/2020 12:37 am
Alex728
(@alex728)
Busy V-Ratter Registered

Its Japanese but widely found on 8-tracks sold in USA (unfortunately it seems that the plug tends to get left in with the old car and not recovered)

red = L+

black = signal ground for speakers

white/brown = left and right speakers 

L- would be the frame of the unit and/or the black cable (both could be linked but I'd personally check inside to be sure) 

https://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=47639

8 track 2
8 track
ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/04/2020 1:22 am
Nuvistor liked
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

There was a comment on a web site that repaired 8 Tracks, they could find no 4 or 5 pin plugs and they wired them out. There were no photos of the plugs and sockets so I can’t be sure they are the same type but they probably are.

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/04/2020 7:28 am
Slartibartfast
(@slarti)
New V-Ratter Registered

Nice detective work. Thanks for your help everyone!

My 8-track is branded EREF Electronics of Scandinavia, a company that imported and rebadged electronics from Japan and possibly other countries. The transistors in the player are Sanyo branded. So if it's a Japanese connector that makes sense.

In light of this, I think it would be very difficult to find the corresponding plug for this. What I'll do is replace the socket with a 4-pin DIN. Both sockets and plugs are easy to find. It would look pretty close to authentic, and I guess the DIN connectors are period accurate also.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/04/2020 8:47 pm
Slartibartfast
(@slarti)
New V-Ratter Registered

An update about this 8-track car stereo!

I picked up a set of DIN-4 plug and socket, and replaced the "mystery socket". It fit perfectly, and still looks fairly close to original.

IMG 0678

I also rigged up a high-to-low level audio adapter and a DC power socket; connected to the new DIN plug.

IMG 0679
IMG 0674

So now I have a pretty convenient hook-up; and can use it in my living room hi-fi!

IMG 0729
IMG 0726

Getting the tape deck working in the first place wasn't too much trouble. New motor belt and a tiny bit of lubrication was all it took to make it run. I found that I got some interference from the motor in the audio outputs. So I replaced all the electrolytic capacitors; and that fixed it.

IMG 0530
IMG 0532
IMG 0677

So I now I have my 8-track working pretty well! These ancient tapes are another matter; I find that they usually need a little fiddling and sometimes splicing before they work. The little foil strip that is supposed to trigger the track change is sometimes corroded and doesn't work--but I had success just using some standard aluminium tape, cut to fit.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/05/2020 9:18 am
Alex728 and Nuvistor liked