RCA 52360 transistor data?

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Niall
(@niall)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

Looking through my stock of TO3 power transistors I found several marked RCA 52360. No results using the databases at the foot of the page, websearch comes up with one ebay auction which doesn't give data.

Anyone have data on these?

Posted : 08/11/2017 8:01 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

This is dated 1978 the same as your 52360, I have not had chance to look through it all.

https://ia600903.us.archive.org/1/items/RcaPowerDevicesDataBook1978/RcaPowerDevicesDataBook1978.pdf

Frank

Posted : 08/11/2017 9:53 pm
Niall
(@niall)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

Doesn't seem to be listed. 

Posted : 08/11/2017 10:09 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Oh well, worth a try, probably worth keeping as a pdf for future reference.

Perhaps the 52360 was a special.

Frank

Posted : 08/11/2017 10:23 pm
Jac Janssen
(@jac-janssen)
Estimable Member Registered

This site https://vetco.net/products/2n3055-npn-si-transistor-60v-15a-nte130 gives a list of near equivalents.

Difficult to judge how accurate it is though, given the number of equivalents...

Jac

Posted : 06/06/2018 1:14 pm
Kevinaston
(@kevinaston)
New Member Registered

I have a possible suggestion as to why you cannot find these RCA devices.

Many years ago, I was working on a BIG audio amplifier (2.4kW), with dozens of Motorola MJ15022 and MJ15123 output devices in the output stage.

Quite a few had shorted, and after replacing these and numerous small transistors and resistors, I ran the unit up on a variac. Everything was fine for a minute and then the quiescent current started to climb. I quickly switched it off, and spent a fruitless couple of hours trying to find what I had missed. I had repaired many of these units in past, and I had occasionally had obscure faults like this.

Not finding anything, I waited until late in the afternoon, and rung the overseas manufacturer. He explained that about eight years ago, Motorola substantially changed the base and emitter configuration of these devices, and unless I had old devices with the older date codes, they would not work. Newer date code devices give the rising quiescent current problem. The answer was to fit only the obscure part number devices which they themselves supplied, made specially by Motorola with the old die.

I had no further stocks of the old date code devices, and so I had to place an order for these specials.

A couple of days later, a package arrived with devices with an obscure Motorola part number on them; and these worked fine. The amplifier then set up perfectly, and passed all its specified operating parameters.

Like you, I have never found these devices listed anywhere.

Regards.

Kevin

Posted : 24/06/2018 10:48 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Prominent Member Registered

Posted by: Kevinaston

I have a possible suggestion as to why you cannot find these RCA devices.

Many years ago, I was working on a BIG audio amplifier (2.4kW), with dozens of Motorola MJ15022 and MJ15123 output devices in the output stage.

Quite a few had shorted, and after replacing these and numerous small transistors and resistors, I ran the unit up on a variac. Everything was fine for a minute and then the quiescent current started to climb. I quickly switched it off, and spent a fruitless couple of hours trying to find what I had missed. I had repaired many of these units in past, and I had occasionally had obscure faults like this.

Not finding anything, I waited until late in the afternoon, and rung the overseas manufacturer. He explained that about eight years ago, Motorola substantially changed the base and emitter configuration of these devices, and unless I had old devices with the older date codes, they would not work. Newer date code devices give the rising quiescent current problem. The answer was to fit only the obscure part number devices which they themselves supplied, made specially by Motorola with the old die.

I had no further stocks of the old date code devices, and so I had to place an order for these specials.

A couple of days later, a package arrived with devices with an obscure Motorola part number on them; and these worked fine. The amplifier then set up perfectly, and passed all its specified operating parameters.

Like you, I have never found these devices listed anywhere.

Regards.

Kevin

Anyone remember the "special" BUT11A for Hitachi's, that had higher HFe?

Posted : 25/06/2018 9:33 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

I don’t remember the BUT11A, perhaps they were after my time in the trade, I don’t remember changing many if any transistors in Hitachi TV’s.

Frank

Posted : 25/06/2018 10:28 am
Share: