Help Valves

10 Posts
5 Users
3 Likes
Gazpacholulu
(@gazpacholulu)
Eminent Member Registered
Topic starter

All my technical training was done post valve and pre PIC controllers hence I have a great affinity to old analogue, transistor circuits. I get asked, from time to time, to look at the odd valve amplifier, usually old Vox amps and similar. Dried out capacitors, noisy pots and dry joints I cope with without any problem...its these vacuum tube things I have problems with.

What I'm after is a simple book about valve technology and understanding how they are used. Not so much interested about electron flow level of information but more types and uses.

Any suggestions greatfully received.

Posted : 06/12/2021 5:25 pm
Topic Tags
Sundog
(@sundog)
Reputable Member Registered

It's a bit tricky understanding valves without consideration of electron flow. You have to consider electron flow in semiconductors too.

You can consider a triode as being similar to a depletion mode FET, but that's where similarities between valves and semiconductors end.

Types and uses: much like semiconductors, are defined by mode (rectifier, amplifier, switch, regulator), power rating, voltage, frequency limits and "amplification factor". There are also fancy valves that do special things such as magic eyes.

I'll try and think of some books...

Cheers,

Posted : 06/12/2021 7:02 pm
Sundog
(@sundog)
Reputable Member Registered

As always Google (love it or hate it) can be your friend. Search: 'vacuum tube types and applications'. Not sure if direct links are allowed but the one by apogeeweb dot com is good.

When you are searching remember that the yanks call valves "tubes" or "vacuum tubes" and there is a lot of web-info from the left side of the pond.

Hope you can find a way into the technology because it's fascinating.

Posted : 06/12/2021 8:37 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

@gazpacholulu 

Chapter 6 is valve theory without going too deep.

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Courses/Basic-Radio-Course-Electronics-Australia-1967.pdf

For information on characteristics and applications the Mullard Maintenance manual is worth downloading, a Google search will find copies, various dates in the 50’s and 60’s.

Frank

Posted : 06/12/2021 9:26 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Posted by: @nuvistor

For information on characteristics and applications the Mullard Maintenance manual is worth downloading, a Google search will find copies, various dates in the 50’s and 60’s.

Data Book here

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/mullard-maintenance-manual-2/

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 07/12/2021 8:02 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

@crustytv 
Thanks Chris, I did look, always look here first but my search skills are evidently not up to scratch.

Frank

Posted : 07/12/2021 12:13 pm
Gazpacholulu
(@gazpacholulu)
Topic starter

Thank you for your replies. I have a small collection of the Mullard data books already.  My main interest will be how they are used, I guess, in audio amplification and power supplies.

Posted : 07/12/2021 12:19 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

This is a good read as well.

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/vintage-electronics-blog-forum/mullard-circuits-for-audio-amplifiers/

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 07/12/2021 12:34 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Here is a good book giving various reasons or explanations as to why valves sometimes do not work....

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=HWKBAwAAQBAJ&printsec=copyright&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 12/12/2021 3:16 pm
Gazpacholulu
(@gazpacholulu)
Topic starter

@pye625 thank you. Looks interesting. Managed to locate a copy on fleabay

Posted : 12/12/2021 3:29 pm
Share: